Magazines on the iPad suck

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by FooArk, Jun 19, 2011.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

These people expect me to pay twice for something I already subscribe to? Seriously

2. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Many magazines give you the iPad version free if you subscribe to the print version. If the particular magazine you like does not offer that, then that's on the publisher. I think most people agree that the iPad is the superior platform for reading magazines. For an excellent example of how well a magazine can be done on the iPad, see Wired. You can get a free download the first time you use it. Also, EGM is doing a weekly mini magazine for the iPad, which is actually 100% free right now while they are in beta.

3. deeddawg macrumors 603

Tthose which do that won't see my money. Some "get it" though, for example The Economist has a great iPad app that brings you all the print magazine contest... And is completely free to print subscribers.

BTW, your categorical title is misleading. Some magazines certainly may suck, but the implicatiion of your title that all magazines suck is false since some do not.

4. Sirius389 macrumors member

Sirius389

I can't agree more, Wired is pretty cool on the iPad.

I subscribe to a few Conde Nast magazines, they publish Wired, Vanity Fair, GQ and such, they started offering you the digital version for free if you are a print subscriber.

Hearst has a few that work like that too.

5. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

6. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

They look beautiful on mine. :)

7. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

A couple months back I decided to try my old account info for the Economist. I'm blaming Y2K bug, but I used to subscribe from around 1998-2000 or so, before I let the subscription lapse because I was finding it hard to find time to read the magazine every week. And for the price, I needed to.

Lo and behold, it still works. Nice to read it on the iPad. I have another 4 subscriptions on the iPad for other magazines too. I think I may see about transitioning another magazine to the format too.

8. Firen macrumors regular

Firen

I really like the Newsstand interface from iOS5. More than having 6 different apps for magazines anyway. I just wonder what the pricing will look like...

9. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

The problem with magazines on the iPad is that they all have different UIs. The user gets confused and there is no "standard" magazine platform. It will be interesting to see how Newsstand handles this and if Apple offers a magazine template platform of some sort.

10. genexrocket macrumors regular

Bloomberg lets you download the iPad version for free if you subscribe to the paper version.

11. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Your title is very misleading. You are talking about the price of a magazine subscription, not about the quality of the magazines.

The magazines that I subscribe to look great on the iPad and are free

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I was reading the new issue of Wired on my iPad in bed last night. They had a story about the group Battles and how they made their new album. There was a full track from the album embedded right into the magazine. I love checking out bands I've never heard of, so I took a listen and ended up loving the track. Went directly over to iTunes and downloaded the album, and got right back to reading. It was ready for me to listen to on the train on my iPhone this morning.

This is the kind of seamlessness I'm starting to love about Apple, and Wired fits into to that beautifully. They definitely get the UI part of it right and a lot of others are copying them. I think there is room for it to get even better, but they're on the right track. Even the ads look pretty amazing in iPad magazines. I tend to actually pay attention to them a lot more than I would in a print magazine.

13. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

In paper, on the web or on the iPad, magazines suck, period.

14. soco macrumors 68030

soco

You do know some of them have boobies, right?

Let's keep it real here.

15. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Chicks have boobies.
    Magazine boobies in 2D are lame.

16. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Got a great deal on The Economist - a dollar an issue (print) and the digital versions are also included.

17. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

18. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Automobile Magazone is incredible on the iPad...and free to a current subscriber. So much more content. And the Automobile Magazine "News" app also is incredible with video reviews that rival what you would see on Top Gear.

19. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

They look magical on mine.

20. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

you beat me to it :rolleyes:

21. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

22. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

23. taipan61 macrumors 6502

i like the magazines a get on the iPad, looks good, can carry them where ever i go and they don't clutter the house or end up in the dump

24. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Wired compatible with Newstand?

Do we know if the Conde Nast and Hearst Communications mags will be Newstand compatible? My subscription is through the App Store so I'm leaning towards yes, but if anyone else knows anything, that would be great.

25. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

This.

It's great to not have to worry about getting rid of all the old piles of magazines around the house, but still be able to read your old issues on demand.