Magesafe 2 charger stopped working suddenly.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hats, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hats macrumors newbie

The charger for my rMPB suddenly stopped working today, I had it in and took it out, and after a few hours I plugged it in again and it stopped working.

I've tried resetting the SMC without that working, I haven't bothered with the PRAM as I figured that's not related to the charger anyway.

Have any of you experienced something similar? The rMBP is only a few days old. I'll take it to the Apple Store tomorrow, but I thought I'd check here first to see if any other were having or have had a similar issue.

Is it possible I've done something wrong? It's pretty annoying, and although I'm fairly sure I've done nothing...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're right, PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.

See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Touch the adapter before it cools down. Is it hot?

4. Hats thread starter macrumors newbie

No, not at all. It's cold.

5. Surfin10 macrumors member

Nope...
    I've had my rMBP for 3 weeks now, use it everyday, and have not had this problem.

Apple Store is the way to go! :)

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did this just happened? It seems like a power adapter failure. But Id like more info to confirm.

7. Hats thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, I'm not sure when it happened to be honest. I was using Windows on the machine last time I was charging it. Windows froze a couple of times when I was using it due to software resolution issues and I had to do a hard reset twice while the charger was connected, after that I unplugged the charger, I can't remember if the LED was on or off at the time I took it. Nevertheless when I inserted it again to charge my Macbook about 20 minutes ago It wouldn't work and it still won't work.

I've troubleshooted the MagSafe charger according to Apple's webpage, which resulted in nothing really.

I just find it strange that a MagSafe charger would work for 5 days and then suddenly stop working.

8. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

I had it happen that charger got under a pillow and gets too hot and shuts off.. Generally when trying to keep charge with Diablo 3. Then I need let charger cool off and unplug it and re-plug it in. But sounds like your problem needs to be resolved at the Apple store.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible that you got a defective charger. If you have another Mac notebook available, try it with that, to see if it works. Also, try another MagSafe adapter with yours, if you have one available. Otherwise, take it to Apple and they can test it for you.

10. Hats thread starter macrumors newbie

The only others I've got are original MagSafe chargers, only got one MagSafe 2, so I guess it's off to the Apple Store tomorrow.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It seems to have blown the rectifier. I would hook it up to your Mac for an hour and touch the adapter later. With care. If it is hot, the the rectifier or transformer are defective and apple should have it covered under warranty.

12. Hats thread starter macrumors newbie

Okey, thanks, I'll do this.

13. Hats thread starter macrumors newbie

If anyone was wondering, it was the Macbook which had a fault. I got it replaced. And got a Samsung screen instead of a LG screen too. Worked out great really.