Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blythy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
UK
Hi, having just bought a new iMac this is my first experience of the Magic Mouse 2.

Does the silver paint suffer from the same 'wear' problem as the original Magic Mouse (i.e. over time the silver paint wears off where your finger and thumb rest)? And if so - has anybody found a way of preventing this?

Thank you

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

That's really strange. I assumed there was no coating at all. I mean, nobody has this issue with other silver aluminum Apple products that I know of. Great, another issue with Apple's material quality to worry about...

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I've been using the Magic Mouse (v1 and v2) since they were first released. I've never had an issue with any finish ("paint" or otherwise) rubbing off of any of them, nor have I heard from any reputable source that there even was an issue.

blythy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
UK
I've never had an issue with any finish ("paint" or otherwise) rubbing off of any of them, nor have I heard from any reputable source that there even was an issue.

I have personally owned two first-gen Magic Mice; both suffered from some form of wear or marking to the finish in the spot your fingers and thumb rest. It cannot be removed and happens after about a year to 18 months of use. Where I work we have 4 or 5 magic mice, all of them have the same problem.

There are plenty of people reporting it on this very forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-aluminum-finish-resolved-kinda.875861/page-2

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have personally owned two first-gen Magic Mice; both suffered from some form of wear or marking to the finish in the spot your fingers and thumb rest. It cannot be removed and happens after about a year to 18 months of use. Where I work we have 4 or 5 magic mice, all of them have the same problem.

There are plenty of people reporting it on this very forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-aluminum-finish-resolved-kinda.875861/page-2

I never said that it wasn't happening... I sad that I've not experienced, nor have I heard of it. I have 4 of them here (1 MM2, 3 MM1), and no issue.

Reactions: blythy

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2017
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.