Magic Mouse - Can someone confirm something for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Andrew Henry, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Okay I went into a Apple Store the other day to play with the Magic Mouse, and after getting a feel for it, I love it, the only problem is that after turning the tracking up ALLL the way it's still too slow for me.

So if someone could do me a huge favor and download and install Steermouse and verify that it allows you too turn up the tracking farther, I'd really appreciate if someone could do it for me so I don't have to waste money on something i won't be able to use!

Thank you!

Andrew

2. morphalex macrumors member

you can use third party software to tune the tracking speed to increase it, I use MouseZoom, works great!

3. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you CAN in fact increase the tracking way more than default? You're 100% for sure?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you haven't already, try "flicking" it across. There's some acceleration built-in, which can help. I can reach a corner from screen center by moving it fast, whereas if I move it slowly, it'll only be halfway there moving the same physical distance (1920x1200).

5. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Just hooked up my magic mouse after it came to the house today and was really dissapointed on how slooooowwww it was. Downloaded the mouse zoom and omg it is soooooo much better!!!

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

They should try to make it the same speed as the wired mouse. I'm a bit disappointed in the slow movement speed as well. My wired Mighty Mouse is a little better at tracking at slow speeds… the Magic Mouse is 10x better than the old bluetooth Mighty Mouse though.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Steermouse has a demo so you can download it and try it out. The website says that it can increase the speed, it does not mention the magic mouse, but this is not a mouse specific program.

and MouseZoom is free, so you really can check out both programs no problem. If it works on your current mouse, I am fairly sure it's going to work with the magic mouse.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes, it works with the Magic Mouse, however it doesn't fix the cursor moving too slow when you're moving your hand slower. It makes the quick movements a lot quicker and the slow movements a little faster, but I'm more interested in speeding up the slow movements and keeping the quick movements the same. Hope that made sense.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

makes sense, although it doesn't really seem like something ones going to find.

I could totally be wrong, the only mouse related third party thing I have is USB Overdrive.

10. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I ended up having to turn the mouse zoom almost all the way up on mine to have it perform like the tiny logitech wireless mouse I had. But now that its just about right I'm liking it more and more. Just wish I could get some kind of 2 or 3 finger movements to work.

11. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone! It seems that you can use a 3rd party program to fix Apples mistake!

I appreciate everyone who has chimed in! I'm going to place my order!

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

How is it slow? I just turned up the tracking speed on my MM to the max. I can't do anything with it on max. Unless you're some mouse guru, it's plenty fast.

13. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

No it's really not fast enough for me, even at the fastest setting it's too slow, and I'm not the only one who thinks so, go read the reviews at the Apple store..

Glad to hear it's good for you. Enjoy your mouse.

14. macfido macrumors newbie

Just downloaded Mouse Zoom, and it works great.

I set the Mouse Zoom slider to max and now I am happy with the Magic Mouse's performance.

Using my 24" imac I found that previously I tended to lift the mouse up and move it as it just wasn't tracking fast enough for me.

Problem solved thanks guys.

15. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I think the problem is because the tracking speed of the pointer also depends on the momentum of the mouse movement. I notice that you move your mouse at a slow rate, it'll take forever to go from end to end. Then move your mouse quickly the pointer will fly across the screen in no time.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, the Magic Mouse does this a little slower than the Mighty Mouse… not sure why. It's a little frustrating when I'm slowing down to select something then I have to move my hand uncomfortably or lift up my mouse to finally select it.

Try navigating a menu… it's painful. Does anyone know anybody who can fly though a menu and still select something they want accurately?

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is what Steermouse had to say:
    steermouse.jpg

But I must say, after having it for a day now the tracking is barely an issue. What is kind of an issue is that it requires way more space for movement than my old mouse (Rocket Fish).

18. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

19. Kmax82 macrumors newbie

Yea, USB Overdrive will support the Magic Mouse but it's going to take time for him to get it working.

The reason why I prefer USB Overdrive and SteerMouse to MouseZoom is that those two allow you to turn off mouse acceleration, which is what causes slow movements to go really slow and fast actions to go super quick across your screen.

Hopefully the Magic Mouse will be fully supported soon. At this time, I'll probably end up going back to my MX518 until USB Overdrive gets it working.

20. corryzahn macrumors newbie

just found this thread about 10 minutes after installing the magic mouse. With the MouseZoom cranked to the highest, I get better performance than I did with my old logitech mouse. Loving it so far.

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I never needed a third party mouse driver before the Magic Mouse. This seems to indicate to me that Apple needs to work on the software a little bit.

22. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Next update will include Magic Mouse support. Not sure how long it will take for the developer to release it. And I doubt there will be any middle click functionality or tap functionality.

23. iorangutan macrumors member

iorangutan

Magic Mouse far too slow

I was very excited to try out my new Magic Mouse - It's certainly a design classic and a thing of beauty. BUT, and as with other posts here, as soon as I've installed the update for Snow Leopard I too found the fastest tracking setting far too slow.

I use a Macbook Pro 15" - but attached to it is a 23" Apple Cinema Display so tracking across the two screens was unbearable at the highest setting - having to move my mouse across the desk / lift it up and move it further to get to the other side.

This was one of my gripes with the old Mighty Mouse, that and it's not too smooth tracking at slow speeds (I often had to click somewhere near by and use the cursor to get to the right place in the middle of a word!), so I ended up with a super-fast Logitech G7 which was perfect (even without a proper Logitech dirver support for it for Mac), smooth accurate and fast. I was hoping Apple had brought the game to the table with the Magic Mouse - but not quite yet!

Having read this thread I've installed Mouse Zoom, which has certainly improved things (thought the acceleration / momentum doesn't quite feel right, too slow when moved slow), and will keep my eye on USB Overdrive for it's update.

Come on Apple - get your Act together and please provide a software update that makes using the Magic Mouse a pleasure for everyone, as it should be. There should be no need for third-party software, and I know a whole bunch of new non-techy Mac users (and even ones I've nearly persuaded to switch) that would simply be very frustrated with this, and not even think to look for a third-party solution for such an item.

24. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It's a driver issue.

I paired the Magic Mouse to my MacBook Pro (before installing the drivers) and it responded just like my wired Mighty Mouse, but after I installed the special Magic Mouse drivers, it moved slowly again.

Hopefully Apple will resolve this issue soon with a software update to the Magic Mouse drivers.

I'm not sure how to remove the Magic Mouse drivers once they're installed though.

25. PaulCo macrumors newbie

same here. 24" is too big for that slow of a mouse. i also kept having to pick up the mouse to reset it in the middle. i can't believe that crApple put out a device like that. it's bad enough that they took functionality away (Expose buttons and 3rd button with the mouse ball click)

thanks for the info guys. this mouse was going to go into the pile of "crap i shouldn't have paid money for" but it is now usable.

mouse zoom worked nicely.