Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I am having issues probably since I downloaded Catalina. My mouse keeps disconnecting. It's number2 I think for mm. Is there a bug in Catalina or should I get a new mouse. I have wired ones which are fine but the air has a lack of USB ports. Also I have to use my Android phone for internet since I don't have it yet. Having moved and all. Had to get Catalina from the library WiFi in parts so maybe my copy is broken or something?

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Make sure your phone is far away from the mouse. I noticed when I have my phone nearby it does that intermittently although this just happening recently. (was always on Catalina though but this just started happening and the battery life is above 80% all the time)

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
It is and I have Bluetooth turned off as well. Maybe age of the mouse or needs a good cleaning. I don't know.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Magic Mouse (v.1) has traditionally 'enjoyed' connectivity / power issues. Some have found a solution by applying a little tab of aluminum foil on the negative contacts, between contact and battery (sometimes you just can't make this stuff up), as it tightens up the connection between the battery and the Mouse and it may lessen disconnects.

But otherwise, as noted above, the MM is a Bluetooth device - and turning that off on your device will certainly affect connectivity... :oops:

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
Turn the phone you are using for your internet off and see if you still have this issue. I had this issue before and it was form older my router.

I am having issues probably since I downloaded Catalina. My mouse keeps disconnecting. It's number2 I think for mm. Is there a bug in Catalina or should I get a new mouse. I have wired ones which are fine but the air has a lack of USB ports. Also I have to use my Android phone for internet since I don't have it yet. Having moved and all. Had to get Catalina from the library WiFi in parts so maybe my copy is broken or something?

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
you might try running the combo updater, when you have a stable connection to do so (make sure you're backed up first); but simpler than a reinstall:

catalina combo update
Ok will do. Thanks. I've even turned the phone off and that didn't work. Has Catalina just the one update or is there more than the combo?

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
Lots of threads on mouse issues in Catalina. I've had troubles. Magic Mouse, Logitech mouse, doesn't particularly matter. Bluetooth, Logitech adapter, still issues. Report it to apple and maybe they'll fix it in one of these updates.

Reactions: vegetassj4

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Lots of threads on mouse issues in Catalina. I've had troubles. Magic Mouse, Logitech mouse, doesn't particularly matter. Bluetooth, Logitech adapter, still issues. Report it to apple and maybe they'll fix it in one of these updates.

where are these threads about the magic mouse? the communities here & on the apple forum seem to mostly be fine with their apple mice; am not seeing a lot of threads about that.

Reactions: me55

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
where are these threads about the magic mouse? the communities here & on the apple forum seem to mostly be fine with their apple mice; am not seeing a lot of threads about that.

The general bugs and fixes thread

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
The general bugs and fixes thread

3 threads doesn't seem to qualify for 'lots'. and how many people are having this issue, vs... those who aren't?

not saying this isn't a problem for some, but... key word: "some".

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
3 threads doesn't seem to qualify for 'lots'. and how many people are having this issue, vs... those who aren't?

not saying this isn't a problem for some, but... key word: "some".

Sorry i didn’t feel like searching and linking you all the threads. Do your own work. I get on here every few weeks and see someone complaining about their mouse. I’ve even see you reply in another one talking about how there’s no issues. There should only be one thread anyways if people are using a forum right.

People like you are the most annoying part of this forum. Why not try to help people having problems instead of consistently questions the validity of whatever anyone says. Now to see if I can block someone on here.

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Sorry i didn’t feel like searching and linking you all the threads. Do your own work. I get on here every few weeks and see someone complaining about their mouse. I’ve even see you reply in another one talking about how there’s no issues. There should only be one thread anyways if people are using a forum right.

People like you are the most annoying part of this forum. Why not try to help people having problems instead of consistently questions the validity of whatever anyone says. Now to see if I can block someone on here.

check my posts; i spend a lot of time being helpful, where i can. but there's a huge difference between a problem some people have, and a problem that everyone has, and therefore requires an OS fix. that's my only point...

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
I thought my bluetooth was acting up. I've had issues with bluetooth connections (most often magic mouse) and with keyboard. Additionally logitech devices act up when other devices (HD, Blu Ray) are plugged into the USB bus and powered on at the same time. Also seems like my AirPods pro interfere with older bluetooth devices, but it's intermittent and I can't narrow it down enough.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
I just did a MacOS "refresh" - the PC rebooted itself at least three times, and it took nearly ten minutes. Interestingly, the Catalina version number remained at 10.15.4

It became available to me within the last hour, so it might not have reached everyone yet.

The Magic Mouse 2 seems a bit more sensitive toward the front. Not sure this isn't wishful thinking, but after I use the thing for a while, maybe it will become more obvious. If so, I'll report back.

Tom

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I'm using a 2017 iMac, Magic keyboard 2 and an original Magic Trackpad 2. The Trackpad can become laggy and unresponsive if I'm trying to use the keyboard at the same time. I had thought I need to upgrade to a Magic Trackpad 2 but wondering if I should go back to using a USB keyboard.

lfaa

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
My Magic Mouse 2 disconnects/reconnects about twice / day from my MB Pro, both new from 2019 with Catalina. I had thought that maybe it was because my mouse was a bit to far from the computer at work (20 inch?) but now, after one month confined at home and my mouse 4 inch from my MB on my desk, I have to say no it's not a distance issue... The mouse couldn't be closer to the laptop. It's annoying your mouse disconnecting/reconnecting while you re working. Crazy. I never had this issue before, with my mid-2010 and 1st generation magic mouse (with 2 replaceable/rechargeable AA batteries by the way...). Maybe I should ask Apple to replace my Mouse, just to see what they say.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I have recently updated and the magic mouse still has problems. any ideas? Also a usb mouse jumps around as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.