Magic Mouse - First Impressions & Demo [Video]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The Samurai, Oct 22, 2009.

1. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I've been playing about with it for a few hours now and i've done a small video for those who will be getting one and want to know how it is.

Here's the direct link to the video.

2. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

ssweet

sweet video, overall i think once im used to this itll be an amazing mouse.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I can't wait to try one at my local Apple store. Unfortunately, they don't have them yet. They don't have the new iMacs either.:(

5. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

You gotta try them out - sweet little device. Its simply stunning.

Absolute genius.

I know the previous mighty mouse wasn't welcomed by some - myself included, but this one won't be going off my desk... ever.

6. mwxiao macrumors regular

Same here. I have to order online and wait at least a week for it to ship out.

7. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Cool mouse but im annoyed its not re-chargable..

i cant find any info on how long the batteries last, anyone know?

8. brendu macrumors 68020

9. n9n3 macrumors newbie

I was at my local Apple store last night, just before closing. A few employees showed up in street clothes and were planning on being there late into the night because they had to install all of the same software on the new iMac, Macbook, and Mac mini display models. Once they were done, they were going to put everything out, presumably for the next day (today). I'm guessing that most, if not all, Apple stores have the new hardware in stock, but haven't had time to configure and put everything out yet. If you wanted to buy one, I'm sure if you asked them if they had the new hardware they'd be more than happy to assists.

I'm guessing that all stores will have the new hardware on display by this weekend.

If you think about it, it's probably a good thing that Apple doesn't put rechargeable batteries in the mice. If they did, it'd probably be non-removable, and when it doesnt hold a charge any more you'll have to pay them close to the price of the mouse to replace it. I'd rather just have them extend the life of it as much as they can through hardware efficiency and let me just add rechargeable AAs. Invest in some Sanyo Eneloops and you'll be set for a long while.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Why not just buy a couple of pairs of rechargeable batteries to put in it?

11. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Then it's probably 1 month. Bluetooth mice are notorious for eating up batteries too fast. My first and last BT mouse, a microsoft bluetooth mouse was nice enough, great little mouse if only I didn't have to change the batteries every 2 and a half weeks. They claimed 3 months. I stopped using it, it became too expensive.

12. GL2 macrumors member

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Logitech VX Revolution is not a Bluetooth mouse.

Your audio in the video is also out of sync, for some reason you say "you can do horizontal scrolling" while moving your finger vertically on the mouse. You also don't mention that the Logitech mouse gives tactile feedback while scrolling, something which the Apple mouse does not. That can also have a big impact on the "end user experience".

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thanks for posting the video. I can't wait to get one.
    Just so you know, pointing to the laser light, well it's not the BT, it's a light.
    I'm real glad you posted this.

15. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I get about a month on a single hybrid rechargeable in the MightyMouse (you can run it on one or two cells - I go for one to make it lighter). I'd expect more than double that on two [in the Magic Mouse].

Thanks for the video. Nice to see it in action. I've already ordered one - should be here next week.

For those who missed it, the zoom feature has been around for a long time - at least since the release of Leopard, and works with either the scroll ball on a MM, a scroll wheel, or two-finger scroll on the trackpad.

One question for the OP: does the single (physical) click come from moving the top & bottom shells together; or by the bottom plate moving up into the body? (well, or something entirely different from what I can imagine ;) )

16. stever500 macrumors regular

Thanks for doing this. It's made me want the new iMac even more, now. Very soon, it'll be on my desk, too. Cheers mate,
    Steve R

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I'll bet Apple's estimate assumes you turn the mouse off when not in use. I have a wireless Mighty Mouse at my desk and I'm not disciplined enough to turn it off when I walk away. I just use one battery in it and that lasts about two weeks or so.

18. neilw macrumors regular

How, if at all, would you execute a click-and-drag operation where you have to lift the mouse in the middle?

19. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

My bad - thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers ;)

20. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

21. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

22. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Using mine right now that I got with the 27" iMac. It looks so much better than the old MM, and no more dirty trackballs. Have to get use to the shape though, as it's not as ergonomic as the old one, but I'm liking it so far.