Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Casey01, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

So I'm trying to decide whether or not I should get the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad. Even though my MBP already has a trackpad, it's an older style one. I'm a amateur graphic designer and video editor.

The magic mouse would solve the problem I have using the trackpad in photoshop. But the multi-touch magic trackpad would has an abundant amount of nifty features. What do you guys think?
    I'm personally leaning towards the magic mouse but I'd like to get more input on it.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have both
    I use both

If I could only have one, it would be the Magic Mouse

But I do like the option of having both side by side
    Both are better at some things than the other

But as I said, if I could only have one, it would be the Magic Mouse

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I never used one but I don't think a trackpad is any good to do some decent photoshop. Get a magic mouse or consider a pen tablet.

4. 184550 Guest

I'd play with the MM in store somewhere before buying one.

I got one with my iMac purchase back in June 2010 and I found the MM had a very low profile that was just too hard to get use to/ use comfortably. I ended up selling it on Craigslist.

5. Hydramus macrumors member

I also have both, and I actually prefer the magic trackpad. There's just something about the size and space to perform gestures, whereas the magic mouse can be a bit finicky.

But as you mentioned, the magic mouse would be better for Photoshop so that's probably the better option of the two for you. I actually use a Wacom tablet for that type of work so I can get away with using the trackpad.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Get the MM first and then get the MTP later. Both are pretty sick devices that are a lot of fun to use.

7. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

I have both and while they compliment each other nicely, the trackpad just doesn't have the accuracy of a mouse for retouching, graphics etc. While I use my trackpad alot and like it, if I didn't have it I wouldn't entirely miss it.

Magic mouse is the best mouse I've ever had though.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Go for the mouse. I still find the trackpad to be underwhelming. When Lion comes out, that should change things though.

9. stev3n macrumors 6502

I would go with the Magic Mouse and like you said it will help you in Photoshop.

10. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Have and use Both... they have different uses as others above have already talked about.

11. RobBookPro macrumors regular

On my iMac I have the magic mouse, trackpad and also a logitech gaming mouse. The trackpad wins hands down.

I use better touch tool to assign custom gestures and it makes working on the mac extremely fast.

These are the gestures I have set up that I use constantly.

Three finger up, new window
    Three finger down, close window
    Three finger left, maximize left side of the screen
    Three finger right, maximize right side of the screen
    four finger left/right, switch between spaces
    five finger tap. open all spaces switcher

With the spaces accessible directly from the trackpad, I just leave everything open and in their own spaces and then just swipe between them. Fantastic.

I am a full time professional photographer, and I have given up my Wacom and just use the trackpad now because I no longer require pressure sensitivity for the work I am doing now.

12. supermag macrumors newbie

Magic Mouse all the way, to do any real graphics you need a stylus, Cintiq, the MTP, is cool for navigation not the best for design.

13. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

i'm torn between these two as well.

just ordered a wired aluminum keyboard (with the numeric keypad)

14. gugy macrumors 68030

If you are a graphic designer I highly recommend the Wacom tablet.
    I have the Intuos 4 and it's incredible. If you do Photoshop, is the best thing because you can naturally use the brushes and it does work incredible well with the pen sensitivity.
    Add to that few years back I had major pain in my forearm due using the mouse and the tablet saved me. Since then, pain free.
    I use the mouse as well (magic mouse). I am considering get the trackpad because of Lion gestures. If you can have it all then you are set.

15. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Magic Mouse.
    I dont like the fact that Trackpad click only works on hard surface :/

16. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

You can use a capacitative stylus on the trackpad. It doesn't compare to a Wacom though (no pressure sensitive).
    As someone said before, the Magic Mouse is very low profile and you need to test it before you buy (unlike me...).
    I'd say, get the trackpad and a standard mouse.

17. SoundByter macrumors newbie

I've heard the wacom tablets are great just as a total mouse replacement... True?

18. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

19. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I like the trackpad better cuz I have not use a mouse over sometimes now maybe couple years.

20. chipandegg macrumors regular

chipandegg

21. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Tap to click works fine, doesn't need a hard surface.

22. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

In lion the gestures are much better (and more useful) on the Magic Trackpad than Magic Mouse, but you've said you've got a MBP so there's no need to have 2 trackpads so go for Magic Mouse. They're very nice to use!

23. JulesK macrumors 6502

Try the Magic Mouse before you buy it (or save the packaging)

I find it to be one of the most oddly shaped mice ever, and really personal preference as to whether you can tolerate it. I suspect I could get used to the shape after a while, but the short time I played with it at the Apple Store convinced me to get another Logitech mouse (which I use in conjunction with the Magic Trackpad).

24. hayesk macrumors 65816

I'm looking at the new MS Explorer Touch mouse. I think Apple's mouse is too short, and I don't like the scroll pea in the mighty mouse (too small).

25. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I've tried both but have the opposite opinion. With BetterTouchTool the gestures in Lion are awesome and just as plentiful on the Magic Mouse.

For my needs, only a mouse will do and the Magic Mouse and it's gestures in Lion is the best of both worlds.