Magic Mouse or Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ash9414, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

I'm just interested in what people think about these two mice. When I say Mighty Mouse, I mean either the wired or Bluetooth version so please state which one you have in your post.

I'm looking to buy a refurb Bluetooth Mighty Mouse to go with my MBP when I get one later this year, so I want to see if it is worth the money at around £39.

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Magic Mouse is superior in any and every way compared with the Mighty Mouse.

3. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you own one then? I'm on my laptop quite a lot so I don't want to get hand strain from using the Magic Mouse and I think it is a bit of a let down for such an expensive mouse. There aren't many touch gestures, and why should us as a consumer have to find/make new software to give it what it should have had in the first place. Plus I think I like the design of the Might Mouse more, and it doesn't cost as much for nearly the same functionality (perhaps even more).

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Magic Mouse + BetterTouchTool is unbeatable combo

I was thinking about getting Magic Mouse for long time before I decided to get it and I haven't regretted it, it's the best mouse I've ever used

5. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool. I personally don't think it looks as good, and straight out of the box the Mighty Mouse has more functionality for a lower cost. Also, it has 360 degree scrolling, which I don't think the Magic Mouse can achieve even with BTT.

6. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

it absolutely does 360 scrolling just like a mac touchpad. i also recommend the magic mouse in every aspect. people who say it's uncomfortable are doing it wrong: http://www.darkmercury.net/site/proper_magic_mousing/

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

Well, to be fair, the Mighty Mouse is only at a lower cost because it's a discontinued item. They both retailed for the same price new (at least in the US).

My main reason for switching from the Mighty Mouse to the Magic Mouse was because the rollerball in the Mighty Mouse collects debris over time and would either stop working in certain directions completely, or skip.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've had both, and now that I have the Magic Mouse, I cannot ever see wanting to return to the Mighty Mouse. The lack of a scroll ball which stops working every couple weeks and eventually dies is reason enough for me.

Much like how the multitouch gestures on Apple's laptops have me trying the same thing on every Windows PC I touch, the mouse gestures have me trying them on every other mouse, and getting frustrated in the process.

I love this mouse.

9. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've heard you can just clean it by rubbing the ball on a piece of paper for a minute? Doesn't seem too much of a downfall imo.

Edit: I don't think I can afford the Magic Mouse anyway when I will only be using a mouse when the MBP is sitting on my desk and I'm not sure that will be too often. I prefer the touchpad in most cases, but for more precise work the mouse makes things so much easier, I don't really need the multi-touch features of the Magic Mouse.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

My experience was that the degree of "what it took to clean it" was entirely variable.

Sometimes running it upside down on a piece of paper (for literally a second or two) would clean the ball.

Other times, it'd take running it upside down on an alcohol pad -- repeatedly -- and then the ball would still be jerky for awhile.

I really liked the Magic Mouse, I just got tired of the frequent cleanings as it got older. If it's what's in your budget, go for it.

11. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you mean Might Mouse in your post? I suppose I could afford either of them but for me the Might Mouse looks better and does the job that I want it to do. The touch controls aren't really necessary for me, and I can just use my left hand on the touchpad if I need to go back a page or use Exposé.

12. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get a 3rd party mouse then. Mighty Mouse's ball is VERY annoying! You have to clean it all the time and it anyway isn't special

14. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I really want a Bluetooth mouse to save my USB ports. I've looked at Logitech Bluetooth mice and I've read that they don't perform very well, so I went back to looking at the Apple mice. And that's why I made this thread. :)

15. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

NEITHER!!!!

I'm sorry, I can't control myself. I realize that you are trying to decide between one of them, but honestly, they are both super uncomfortable after awhile of use. I would recommend a Logitech mouse at that price. I picked up a Logitech MX Revolution for only $40 off of eBay brand new.

If you are set on one of those though, get the Magic mouse.

16. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not totally set on one of these but I really need a Bluetooth mouse as I will be using both USB ports. Also, I want the mouse to be portable, and I've heard both of the Apple mice come with a carry bag? The Mighty Mouse doesn't look as uncomfortable but I realise that Apple usually design with aesthetics in mind rather than total ergonomics.

17. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I use my Razer DeathAdder at home and I love that mouse to death. Honestly, the Magic Mouse is a very close second. I've had both Magic and Mighty and the Magic destroys the Mighty in every way.

It took me about 30 minutes to get used to it but after that, 0 problems. Just don't try to play games with it or you'll throw it at a wall ;)

18. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Everyone keeps saying the Magic Mouse, yet for some reason I'm not being persuaded to buy that one. Perhaps because of the price, but I think I'm just generally all for the Mighty Mouse. I will try both of them out at the Apple Store, but I think I will buy the refurb. :D

19. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was looking at the refurb Might Mouse last night and saw that they had none in stock, however they are now available for purchase. So this got my thinking last night about was the extra money worth it for the Magic Mouse. Does anyone think there will be an update for it soon?

Also, I'm going to be using this for a MBP so is it easily portable and does the sleeve included with the mouse totally prevent any scratches etc or is it just a cheap material? And what software would you recommend to add other functions, I've heard about 3 or 4 and want to see which is the best to use.

20. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

If I were a betting man, Apple will eventually just kill the Mighty Mouse. The Magic Mouse is just so much better.

21. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

I haven't used either of the Apple mice - I'm using my macbook at home full time now (in closed lid mode), and I get around the lack of USB ports by using a USB hub. This allows me to hook up my iPhone, webcam, and the receiver for my logitech wireless mouse. I do have the Apple wireless keyboard, and I'd imagine I'd welcome an Apple wireless mouse as well.

If I had to choose between the two Apple mice specified, though, I'd likely choose the magic mouse - the response in this thread has been pretty strong.

22. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Only thing I'm worried about is if they either update it or the mouse makes it uncomfortable to work for long periods of time. I like both mice, and have realised that the Magic Mouse will go down to £48 from the HE store, instead of £56. If they bring out an update, will it be the hardware, or just the software, and when is it likely to be?

23. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I've been a Logic mouse lover for years. Most recently, the MX Revolution.

When I got my new iMac it came with a Magic Mouse, so I decided to test drive it for a few days, just to be able to say I did. The Magic Mouse has retired my MX Revolution. The Mighty Mouse never even challenged it.

24. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Went to PC World this morning and they only had the wired Apple mouse. I like the feel of the mouse, and although the scroll ball felt different than what I expected it to, I could easily get used to it. And it seems to have all the functions that I think I will need; the pinch buttons are reasonably easy to use meaning you won't do it by accident as much.

When I go to the Apple Store in a month, I will take a look at the Magic Mouse, but there's £15 difference without any discount (with the HE discount, the refurb stays at £39, and the Magic Mouse goes down to about £48).

25. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Don't think about price

You're probably going to be using this thing for a few years to come. The £15 difference over that long works at to be fairly inconsequential.

Get the mouse most people are recommending and enjoy it.