Magic Mouse users!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mac2x, Apr 16, 2010.

?

What do you think of your Magic Mouse?

Poll closed May 26, 2010.
  1. I love it!

54 vote(s)
    63.5%
  2. I used to hate it, but it has grown on me

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. I hated it then, and I hate it now

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. I love it, but only with 3rd party software to improve tracking, add a middle click, etc.

16 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. mac2x macrumors 65816

So most of us who have a Magic Mouse have probably been using it for a while now. What are your impressions of it? Has it grown on you? Did you love it already? Do you still absolutely hate it?

Just curious. :)

[edit] I love mine with MagicPrefs for my middle click + tracking acceleration. Only thing that I need to do is get some lithium batteries for it.

2. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

its rather mundane without bettertouchtool to add extra gestures, but with it, its absolutely fantastic as a mouse. does everything i want it to do.

one downside: batteries last only a month. :(

3. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I really liked the mouse in the beginning, but MagicPrefs just made this thing a beast

4. Big Bad D macrumors regular

Magic Mouse was a disappointment until finding out about MagicPrefs. It's a shame that Apple didn't think it necessary to add such functionality. Well done and thanks to Vlad Alexa for this free application.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I like mine... it's the only bluetooth mouse I could find with decent tracking performance, but i DEFINITELY need bettertouchtool. I'll check out magicprefs.
    I hear ya. My solution is to get a Rayovac Hybrid AA/AAA charger and convert all my devices to those batteries. That way I always have a fresh set of batteries ready to go whenever I need them!

6. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

7. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

I can't believe how quickly I go through batteries.

8. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I just bought my Magic Mouse today... I think it's going to take awhile for my hand to adjust to its profile, but I'm hoping that I'll come out liking it.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Where's the "I hated it and promptly sold it" option?

10. Kaimakides macrumors newbie

I have mixed feelings about it. While playing games on my Macbook like WoW I use a Logitect G5 because it has 2 programmable buttons, but it is not that smooth as far as tracking goes. It uses a typical scroll wheel that isn't that smooth, but it works. For browsing the web for more then a couple minutes I switch to my magic mouse because its tracking and scrolling are far superior. I just love the scrolling with momentum.

11. mac2x thread starter macrumors 65816

Hehehe, this poll was intended for people who have been using the mouse for a while. ;)

Feel free to comment if your case isn't mentioned though! :)

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

SteerMouse is a must have to fix the awful mouse acceleration and add some gestures. If it weren't for the acceleration, BetterTouchTool would be my choice for improved gestures.

As for the device itself, it's pluses are working, lag free Bluetooth and small size so it's easy to carry with me. Drawbacks are that it's too flat, the edges are a bit sharp and the batteries could last longer. I imagine it would also be terrible for gaming.

I kinda wish somebody took the concept, made a mouse shaped about like the Logitech MX518 and added multitouch features in the thumb button area.

13. camgrant84 macrumors member

I liked it when I first got it ... BTT made it even better ... but lately it's been starting to irritate me more and more

couldn't see that option up there

14. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

I would check the "I hated it and promptly sold it" if it was there because that is exactly what I did. I wanted to like it I really did.

15. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i dont have a magic mouse but i've tried one, the actions are slick, really smooth scrolling and movement but my hand dont like the shape, i prefer a mouse with bulk not a flattish top side :(

16. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

love the the magic mouse just wish it was self rechargeable.

17. mac2x thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the great responses! Overall it seems that most of the respondents are happy with it, either by itself or with some third party software to add acceleration/features.

For those who might not have tried a software solution for your Magic Mouse, Magic Prefs is free and it works very well. It offers acceleration, too. I love it!

18. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

19. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Shouldn't this title be called "Magic Mice Users" or "Apples Magic Mouse"

20. mac2x thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm assuming that each user uses only one Magic Mouse. :D Which of course may not be the case. ;)

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I tried it at the Apple store and honestly it is the worst mouse they ever made. It beats the puck for worst Apple mouse.

22. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

I love the Magic Mouse to pieces but still prefer the Mighty Mouse, easy-foul scrollball and all.
    The clicky scroll ball thing is my favorite feature.

I suppose I'd better buy up a couple Mighties while they're still available...

Have Fun,
    Keri

23. duky macrumors 6502

I have a Mighty at work and a Magic at home. I go to work every day and instinctively keep trying to swipe at the top of the Mighty Mouse to go back/forth in Safari lol. What makes it worse is having a 20" iMac at work and a 27" at home. Leaving home for work in the morning is not a pleasant experience ;)

24. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

Magic prefs really makes the mouse so much better.

25. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Your poll is only about extremes, so I didn't vote. I never hated nor loved my Mighty Mouse. I neither hate nor love it now. I like it OK -- it does the job. I have two. One for home, one for work.