Magic Mouse vs magic pad?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rossatron, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

Which of these should I get for a MacBook? I know the integrated pad is great, but I find it uncomfortable using it while doing day-to-day stuff. I think that the pad will be a nice transit into the "Mac world", as its similar to controlling an ipad. The mouse bit seems a bit newb-unfriendly to me, because you need to be holding a device and perform different actions with your fingers.

I do know there is a school of thought that basically says "get both" but I'm declined to purchase something that I'm not going to use, if I stick with the other.

So what is it: should someone coming to OS with no prior experience (besides ios devices), go with the familiar-yet unfamiliar Magic Mouse, or go with the "sort of" familiar magic pad?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Lots of opinions, see this thread from yesterday. I have both & prefer the mouse, others prefer the pad.

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

If your MacBook already has MultiTouch then you don't need the Magic TrackPad. I have both and prefer the TrackPad. There are so many gestures to do with OS X.

You can pick up some cheap mouse but you can't pick up a Magic TrackPad for cheap.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have both, but end up using the Magic Trackpad most of the time (when I'm not using the built-in rMBP trackpad).

Yes, it's duplicate functionality of the built-in, but for the times when I don't need the keyboard, it's more comfortable to put the trackpad on the couch armrest.

5. theluggage macrumors 68030

The magic trackpad is great for general use. For games and graphics work a mouse is still best. So I think "both" is the best answer.

However, bear in mind that pretty much any USB, Bluetooth or Wireless (with USB receiver) mouse will work fine with a Mac, including scroll wheels and multiple buttons. You probably already have a perfectly good mouse.

I'd get the Magic Trackpad and use a non-Apple mouse when I needed it. I'm not a great fan of the Magic Mouse.

...but its worth re-iterating that even the MacBook built-in trackpad is head and shoulders above the trackpads you find on PC laptops. Although I use an external mouse & trackpad on the desk, the Unibody MacBook Pro is the first laptop where I haven't had to carry a mouse around 'on the road'.

6. Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmmpff
    Well, when I use the track pad on my current laptop I feel awkward having my hand just in the middle of things, that's why I want an external device.

I do have a razor laser mouse, which is very good, but I just think that skipping on the gestures bit will damage the whole experience ;)

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Absolutely. Apple's had the best, IMO, but when they switched to the large, glass surfaced trackpad with the unibody design, they really upped the ante (up until Feb, I had a 17" unibody early 2009; now a 15" rMBP). I really notice the difference in feel when I use my wife's 2008 MacBook Air. The glass surface now used is always silky smooth.

Once you start getting used to the gestures, you'll miss them when using a mouse (though they do have their place as mentioned earlier). You can swipe to go fwd/back in Safari with the Magic Mouse, but it's a different gesture (one-finger) than the trackpad. I think that's another reason to go with the Magic Trackpad, as it is consistent with the built-in. If it wasn't mentioned already, the Magic Trackpad also has a glass surface.

8. theluggage macrumors 68030

Using a regular mouse will not ruin the Mac experience. Using an uncomfortable mouse will - mouse size/shape/weight/sensitivity are personal things so I won't rant on about how much I hate Apple mice, but if you've got one that you like stick with it.

There are keyboard/mouse alternatives for everything, and even if you have a mouse connected you can do gestures on the built-in trackpad.

You can always buy a magic trackpad later.

The equation would be a bit different if you were buying an iMac desktop, that comes with a choice of either mouse or trackpad included, in which case I'd say always go for the trackpad.

9. Nihilius macrumors newbie

My advice would be to buy 3rd party mouse. Magic mouse is IMO the most un-ergonomic mouse I have ever used. When I bought iMac I chose trackpad but I don't use that very much either. It somehow feels too slow. It was just better option since Magic Mouse is completely worthless especially since I decided to get Logitech mouse. In your case though I wouldn't recommend Magic Trackpad since it's essentially the same deal as you laptops built-in device. If you have an actual mouse you could always choose which ever you want :) I just think you should also consider other options besides Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad.

I have used Magic Mouse when I'm visiting my parents but I really don't think its special features are all that useful. Also my hand feels really stiff even after half an hour. I also prefer to have more buttons.

Anyway, it seems many people really do like Magic mouse so I guess it really depends who you ask. I suggest you go and try how Magic Mouse fits in your hand. Ergonomics is IMO the most important thing to consider when choosing mouse/trackpad.

10. Marquez90 macrumors newbie

think i am going to go with the trackpad! i enjoy being different and therefore staying away from the traditional "mouse" is more my style!

11. tengtengvn macrumors member

tengtengvn

I've had both. Even have more expensive mice like the Revolution MX,
    Performance Mouse MX, Logitech Touch M600,...
    But for a guy who spends 8-10 hrs on the computer per day, nothing beats a good old trackball... NOTHING.

[​IMG]

12. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

This! I used to have one of those and it was the most comfortable peripheral around. Skip the magic mouse, it's an ergonomic disaster. I have a magic trackpad now and unless I'm playing a round of starcraft, I find it works great. Gestures are what make it so wonderful.

13. LeeM macrumors 6502a

i have a trackpad and a cheap gigabyte wired mouse.best combo imo. with the trackpad i dont think theres a need for a magic mouse as well, especially when my £10 mouse is more comfortable to use

14. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I have a Magic Track Pad and I absolutely love it. I will probably be purchasing a Magic Mouse soon to compliment it because I need the precision when I'm editing/coding. Nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds!