Magic mushrooms could have medical benefits

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Jun 16, 2011.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

yahoo.com

Sign me up!

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Natural substances made illegal by politicians have positive effects? You don't say! ;) :D

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Imagine that! ;)

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

5. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I read a article a year or two ago where some doctors were starting a clinical run of this for soldiers with PTSD. Like this article they were using a very low dosage of psilocybin in hopes that it would block or help the patient cope with their PTSD and eventually make it non existent.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's a slippery slope, I tell you. Next thing you know, people will have invented Religion.

7. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Unfortunately people will be consuming them to get high rather than for its beneficial medical properties. You bet people will start inventing symptoms in order to use them.

Things are always good in moderation. Unfortunately, again, this didn't happen say, in Holland, where cannabis is legal. They've recently pushed a law that only allows the Dutch to buy the stuff, no more drug-oriented tourism.

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

yea, they are discovering that alot of illegal substances have some sort of positive medical effect, just look at weed.

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Darn, I was hoping this story was about a mushroom that would make you grow really big or give you an extra life.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Everyone shouldn't be punished or denied the informed choice just because of the minority of potential abusers. Besides, things like cannabis, mushrooms and LSD are a hell of a lot safer than things which are legal. You can't OD/die on any of them, no matter how crappy you may feel.
    Scientific researchers and advisers have repeatedly stated the drugs policies are flawed, only to have it fall on deaf, agenda/propaganda-pushing politician ears who are too cowardly to face the facts and admit they're wrong. Then for speaking up, scientists get fired for not conforming to what the gov wants to hear.

And Holland is shooting itself in the foot by passing such a short-sighted law which will decrease their tourism MASSIVELY.

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Like they already do to get xanax, addaral, oxycontin, valium and other drugs?

Those drugs being addictive, physically harmful when abused and seemingly in use by a *vast* number of americans. Psilocybin is none of these things, in fact it's anti-addictive. If you take it a few days running it'll just stop working.

The trouble with that line of argument is it's completely and utterly inconsistent, harmful drug A is prescribed, whereas non-harmful consciousness expanding drug B is illegal and can ruin your life if you're caught in possession of it. This being a drug that grows naturally all over the world, that's been used by humans for millennia.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And there you have it, in a nutshell.

It's all about profit, and through sales, taxation.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I don't think it's just that, anyone can brew alcohol, anyone can grow tobacco.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, but they are both taxed.

Brew beer or make wine, yes. Distillation is still (LOL) a criminal offence, such that you need a license for a Lieburg condenser. I think. ;)

Not sure about growing tobacco, but it takes more post-harvest processing than pot does. A friend grew his own, in a back corner of his garden. He just hung it, up-side-down, in a dark cupboard for a couple of weeks, and it was good to "go". :D

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I agree with you there and while you can't OD on LSD it can certainly make you crazy. I know a few people who used to sip on vials and munch on sheets (100 hits) and didn't feel straight for years.

I have a somewhat good friend of mine, he said after his super intense LSD days it took him about 2 years before he felt somewhat normal, took about a year before he could speak normally.

And although he probably doesn't realize it, he's still a little loopy if you ask me but who knows what caused that.

Smoking a bunch of cannabis will just make you pass out. Eating a ton of mushrooms will just make you throw up. But eating ALOT of LSD will make you... well I'd rather not imagine what that would do.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Point is that they could be taxed just the same. Though you're right that growing weed is ridiculously easy, it grows kinda like, well, a weed (not that I have any personal experience).

I'd still think that most people wouldn't be bothered to. The same would apply to mushrooms, growing them yourself is a hassle, they're easy to cultivate on a commercial scale and wild liberty caps tend to get picked to death as soon as they show up.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

These points are a Catch-22, as far as The Man is concerned.

They could not possibly market pot as cheaply as it would be for any Black Thumb to successfully grow it. Then the tax on top, for profit for the Government, would be the death of anyone actually buying it. And the quality of Government pot is a joke. (Google Canadian Government pot.)

Nope, their only course of action is to stone-wall <giggle> on it, to protect their taxes on other, legal, life-altering "drugs".

18. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Wouldn't it be better to look at LSD first?

It's an extremely important substance, apparently.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Oh, did you forget?? ;) :p

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

LSD lasts way longer, so psilocybin is kinda more suited to a clinical setting. 5-6 hours is enough to have the revelations you need and then come back to reality before the day is through, LSD typically has people out of it for 12-14 hours.

Other than the duration and a certain flavour to the experience there's not a whole lot of difference IMO, no one is more important than the other.

21. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

That must be some weird LSD to have you tripping for 12-14 hours. Acid hits in 45min to an hour, then you ride the waves of tripping hard for 3-4 hours. The comedown is very mild.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, this allows you to see the dross in your life, and enables you to start the process of discarding same??

23. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

It's weird, but it really does help you work out issues.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I went to Group for 6 weeks to start that accomplishment, so this would have been a time-saver. :D

25. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I believe you're getting religion confused with opium.:D