Magic Trackpad and FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by scouser75, Jul 29, 2010.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Guys, quick question; has anyone any experience with the Magic Trackpad and FCP? If so, opinions please :)

Depending on the feedback, I'm going to go for either one of these or a Wacom.

Thanks

2. advres Guest

advres

opinions? Have you used a laptop with FCP? It sucks. This is my setup and wouldn't have it any other way:
    [​IMG]

3. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

:lol: Great way to sum up the Magicpad :)

Which Wacom are you using? I was thinking of going for the Intuos.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Curious as to what all you use the pad for in FCP.

5. advres Guest

advres

I'm using the Intuos3 9x12 for my edit suite and use the Intuos3 4x6 for when I travel with my MBP to do work remotely. The new ones are the intuos4. The comparable size to mine in the edit system would be the "large" in the new intuos4.

6. advres Guest

advres

Wacom tablets are very common tools for editors instead of using mice. It's just whatever tool you get used to. When I am bouncing back and forth from After Effects I use the pen 100% of the time. When I am settling in for a long edit day I use the trackball.

7. jwheeler macrumors regular

I have two questions,

1) What do you actually use the tablet for. I have one in storage upstairs. As I'm starting to do video editing with FCP & after effects now, will it be useful again?

2) Whats your workflow with FCP and AE? i.e. how do you switch between them?

8. advres Guest

advres

1) I use the tablet just as one would a mouse. Reason I like using it so much in After Effects is the pen just makes me feel more comfortable making mask shapes, rotoscoping and painting.

2) ? confused on this question. I apple+tab to go between the 2. When I am saying going back and forth between AE and FCP it normally means I am working in After Effects and am bouncing back to FCP during renders.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Advres; any chance you could post a video of you working with the pad? I do the occasional amateur stuff in Final Cut, and I'm always intrigued by more professional level people's workflows.. and would maybe consider purchasing a graphics tablet as I'm working my way through basic animation stuff.

10. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The reason I want to get one of these is I'm doing a lot more editing on FCP now. After a couple of long days editing I'm beginning to feel the strain on my wrists. I'm not a young man no more :(

I've heard a lot of people saying not only how much better the Wacom's are on the wrist but also how good they are for workflow and ease of use compared to using a mouse.

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Wow, that's a blanket statement. I cut a half hour show every week for a major international news network on my 17" MBP without a mouse, and it's great for me...but to each their own. Really looking forward to getting the magic trackpad for my desktop setup and my HTPC setup.

12. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I would definitely agree with you on the wacom. I can't stand the trackball though.

I would say that I use the wacom mouse though 90% and the pen 10%.

13. advres Guest

advres

I would put a bullet in my head. I am also a long form editor working on broadcast television mostly. I wouldn't be able to stand working on a trackpad. For this one client I freelance for occasionally, they make me work off my MBP at their office. When I forget my mouse I hang my head in shame and realize how much my day is gonna suck. :D

But like you said, to each their own. Many people hate wacoms and trackballs but I would be lost without mine.

14. advres Guest

advres

That was EXACTLY my reaction before I got used to it. I started contract working for this production company and all their suites had nothing but these trackballs. I HATED them with a passion but I had no choice. 3 months in I found myself working so much faster and being less fatigued at the end of the day. Now, I can't live without them!

15. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I think we need a giant gesture-based Minority Report/Tony Stark interface for editing video...that'd be a dream.

16. advres Guest

advres

Like anything, they take some getting used to. I only used the pen in photoshop back in the day and would revert to the mouse any time I left photoshop. I have since started using it more for everything and have become comfortable doing so. It puts more stress on your elbow on the desk as the pivot instead of the wrist.

17. advres Guest

advres

My editing buddy mentioned that too. I argued that my arms would get tired waving them in the air so much. :D

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I got a small Wacom a few years ago and it and the pen have completely replaced my mouse.

For anything other than basic drag-n-drop I think I'd shoot myself. It looks so horribly inefficient once the task starts getting even a bit more complicated.

Lethal

19. handsome pete macrumors 68000

That's funny because I was in the exact situation. The company I started working for had the same trackballs in all of their editing suites. I used it for the first day, thought to myself, "F this!," and brought in my wacom the next day.

One of the other guys I work with swears by it though.

20. jwheeler macrumors regular

I've never used AE and FCP together. I've done some editing in FCP. And i've done some tutorials in AE.

What I'm asking is should I edit first until i find something i want effects in, find the actual files I want to change and load them in AE, edit, and then load back into FCP. Or should I do my effects before editing. Or should I get that plugin that exports FCP to aftereffects.

I have absolutely no idea how to use programs together.

21. handsome pete macrumors 68000

There are several ways to work between the programs. There are even software solutions like Automatic Duck that will allow you to import a FCP timeline into AE.

But the most common way is to set in/out points in your FCP timeline on a section that you want to work with in AE. Export a high quality Quicktime, preferably lossless. Then import that file into your AE project. Add effects/manipulate footage/etc. Then render out of AE and bring in that result to your original FCP timeline.

22. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I never liked working with the wacom board (my brother uses it for designing websites). Then I realised although I'm right with everything, I write with my left hand (broke my right hand when I learned writing).

But too be honest I always use the magic mouse for editing. I don't have to move my pointer that much (perhaps the board is too big). I really enjoy the mouse much more when I have to cut something out in photoshop. But my brother and little brother (website designing and video editing) both like the wacom more.

I guess it's just a personal preference.

23. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

What brand is that trackball in the photo?

Edit: never mind, I found out that it's a Kingston. Though, I wonder where you got that wrist rest?

24. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I believe the wrist rest comes with it.