Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Drago89, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Drago89 macrumors member

Hi.Considering buying one of these to replace my mouse.There's no store where i live so i can't go into the store and try both :( I'v never tried the apple trackpad on their laptops either.I used a lot of windows laptops before and what i can say.They were so bad that i always had a little mouse in my back :) I rly don't know what to expect for the apple track pad.Can it replace completely the mouse and is it comfortable to work with ? Or should i go with the mouse ? Thx

2. Macatak60 macrumors member

Got both

Just got trackpad today for mini in bedroom. I love it. It's easier to control sitting up in bed than the mouse

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

depends what u wanna do with it. For web browsing the trackpad is it.

4. Username02 macrumors regular

x2

I have both and for me, it is the trackpad for web browsing and emails and light work.

However, I am faster with the Magic Mouse in applications where I am doing work or need better accuracy.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

My Magic Mouse has been sitting idle since the I purchased the Magic Trackpad....

6. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

7. fatfreddy macrumors newbie

Personally prefer the Magic Mouse. It's unfortunate you can't go into an Apple Store and try both out!

8. Gordy macrumors 6502a

You can. At least I did that very thing in the apple store yesterday.

9. fatfreddy macrumors newbie

I meant it was unfortunate that the original poster couldn't try both out as they don't live near an apple store.

10. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Hmm.. personally Id go for the mouse. I mean, when you buy a Laptop, one of the first things I do especially, is buy a mouse to avoid being stuck with a trackpad.

11. NCW macrumors regular

NCW

If you have concerns about the trackpad, I would avoid it, and while the magic mouse is a good mouse, for the price you can get better. I only use mine as a backup when my logitech mx revolution is charging. Consider looking at other mice from brands like logitech and razer.

12. wibongo macrumors newbie

I have a Razer Mamba (wireless and wired mouse), which I LOVE for gaming. I just picked up the Magic Trackpad today just for the hell of it, and honestly, I LOVE it. I used to despise trackpads until I got my 2008 Unibody MBP, the Magic trackpad is an awesome evolution of it and the perfect size for a desktop computer. ( I use it with my new iMac).

13. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I do agree but with Notebooks, the space & location is limited and makes it hard to use.

I tried it at Apple Store, the size and the ability to place it where you feel comfortable is what makes it amazing!

I finally sold my Logitech Wave Combo and will be picking up Apple Wireless Keyboard & Magic TrackPad later this afternoon.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Neither. Save your money. Ha ha!

FWIW, I've both, plus other USB and BT mice.

...and the majority of the time, I find myself using the MBP's trackpad. :rolleyes:

15. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If you do a lot of writing, especially in large MS Word documents where you need to select words and cut and paste text, which is better, the mouse or the Apple Magic Trackpad?

Curious to see what the writers and word processor folks think.

16. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Definitely the mouse. Not doubt about it.

17. mangrove macrumors 6502

Do you own the trackpad or is this an opinion?

18. w00tini macrumors 6502a

sitting at my new Hex-core MacPro right now. have touched the Magic Mouse maybe twice in the several days since the machine arrived. the trackpad is simply amazing if you're using the gestures.

19. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

couldn't imagine doing pro work with a magic trackpad so if you're doing detailed work i imagine you'd want the magic mouse

otherwise, if you're just a casual user i'd say trackpad is pretty awesome.

20. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have both and I find the Magic Trackpad to be sometimes easier to use and more pleasant, as it doesn't tire me as much as a mouse does. On the other hand, sometimes I really do prefer using the Magic Mouse. Especially when using drag & drop, copying things and doing more advanced stuff with windows on my Mac Pro. I guess it is a matter of personal preference. I can afford both, so I use both of them :)

21. amityweb macrumors member

The magic mouse is quite uncomfortable, it hurts my thumb and fourth finger as they sit on the sharp corner edge. On the other hand I think the trackpad will need a bit of getting used to, and I dont think it will replace a mouse completely, but complement it. So I just use a normal mouse for comfort over design.

22. hatcheeks macrumors member

hatcheeks

the trackpad is amazing. my magic mouse hasn't been used since i got the trackpad

23. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

magic trackpad + *cheap* wired mouse.
    There's obviously a learning curve for the trackpad but once you got past that, your mouse will be idle most of the time for usual tasks.

24. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

Magic Trackpad

I ended up selling my Magic Mouse two weeks after I bought the Trackpad.

25. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

i just bought the magic trackpad. not sure why .. really never liked the magic mouse.. I also bought a cheap rocketfire wireless mouse to use with my macbookpro.... I hope it's a good purchase heard good things about the trackpad...