Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Becky Austin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
This: :D

Apple should make a wireless keyboard/trackpad all in one so that we don't have to resort to using tape.

Anyway, I can move my keyboard around on my desk and the trackpad is perfectly lined up with the keyboard at all times. Pure bliss.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    415.4 KB · Views: 457

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
This: :D

Apple should make a wireless keyboard/trackpad all in one so that we don't have to resort to using tape.

Anyway, I can move my keyboard around on my desk and the trackpad is perfectly lined up with the keyboard at all times. Pure bliss.

I think they'll have just the keyboard and trackpad in one soon that ships with every new desktop Mac. That is, when everyone sees how useful and amazing it is.

captainritalin

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2009
I just got the Magic trackpad and I am not sure what I think of it yet. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of having a trackpad for my desktop and functionally it works great. But there is something about it that just doesn't feel right. It makes my carpol tunnel hurt in ways the mouse and trackpad on the macbook pro dont. There is just something about it. Maybe its cause its on a slant, or even more likely its just the way I am using it. My judgement is still out on it.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Nice - I wouldn't be surprised if we see some sort of keyboard/trackpad combo from Apple in the near future.

Becky Austin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
how do you turn the keyboard on/off then?

I don't turn them on and off. Apple wireless devices go to sleep when you're not using them. There's no reason to turn them on or off after they've been paired with the computer.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
These devices need to be merged. Apple is definitely making baby steps so they have progression built into the future.

saucy1360

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I don't turn them on and off. Apple wireless devices go to sleep when you're not using them. There's no reason to turn them on or off after they've been paired with the computer.

hah, I always turn my stuff off. guess I can stop doin that now, it was starting to become a pain.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
How about sticking magnets under both the keyboard and trackpad?

That way they stick together but you can also pop them apart when you want.

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Nice thinking with that setup! Hopefully Apple will follow suit, or at least make it so the keyboard and trackpad can somehow click/magnetize together in the future.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I'd like a wired version or a version that uses a "nano" unifying receiver like Logitech devices now use... BT lacks the precision of 2.4Ghz IMHOP...

IF they keep it BT, it should work with other BT enabled devices (including PC/laptops)...

robbo91

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
It would be so awesome if they made a keyboard with a magic trackpad in the middle, such that the keys are aligned on the left for left hand, right for right hand (touch typing). Permanently fixing a trackpad to the keyboard on the side would require left and right handed models...

Becky Austin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
It would be so awesome if they made a keyboard with a magic trackpad in the middle, such that the keys are aligned on the left for left hand, right for right hand (touch typing). Permanently fixing a trackpad to the keyboard on the side would require left and right handed models...

Interesting idea. I wouldn't want mine right in the middle though. Maybe they could come out with a design that lets you move the trackpad to the side of the keyboard you would like to use it on.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
Careful trying to join them...

The two front pads that the TrackPad rests on are the push-button. They actually move up into the base assembly for the push button to work. My point being, if you attach the Trackpad rigidly to the keyboard, say to use it remotely sitting on the couch, it will not work unless you rig something under these front pads for them to react against. Turn the TrackPad over and you will see what I'm saying.

Keysmark

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
The two front pads that the TrackPad rests on are the push-button. They actually move up into the base assembly for the push button to work. My point being, if you attach the Trackpad rigidly to the keyboard, say to use it remotely sitting on the couch, it will not work unless you rig something under these front pads for them to react against. Turn the TrackPad over and you will see what I'm saying.

I believe you can solve that problem by enabling "Tap to Click".

neal.young

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
Irvine, California

YES. This would be awesome. Even if they just came out with a combo wireless keyboard/Magic Trackpad I would buy it.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Nice - I wouldn't be surprised if we see some sort of keyboard/trackpad combo from Apple in the near future.

And of course, every time a lefty uses your computer, they just bring their own keyboard/trackpad combo.

Excuse me No2: currently, you have to pay $138+tax for the two when you buy them separately. Together, only a bunch of people would pay that kind of money for it. Although, I accept that I tend to underestimate the extent that some people are willing to go when it comes to overpriced computer hardware.

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007

Which is one of the reasons I have yet to buy a Mac Mini! When Apple does release this, I'd seriously consider a Mac Mini for TV duty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.