"Magical" apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MagicMouse, Mar 7, 2010.

?

Do you like the new "Magic" keyword?

1. Yes, I like it

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Yes, but they are over using it

30 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. No, I'm tired of it

92 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

Apple has released the "Magic Mouse", thought to be releasing a "Magic Trackpad" and everything about the new iPad is "Magical"

This is a poll to see who is really enjoying the keyword "Magic" Or "Magical" or if it is really getting old.

2. tac22 macrumors 6502

i guess in general it is old, but its new for apple... i hope it doesn't show up more than then it is already, becuase while imo i like the magic mouse and ipad, the word magical sounds like a gimmick, especialy when they describe the ipad with it.

3. MagicMouse thread starter macrumors regular

MagicMouse

It really gets on my nerves during the promotional video for the iPad when he says it does something you have never seen before and that makes it "magical"

I mean fan of the iPad or not.. you have to admit it is not new technology, it really is an enlarged iPod touch. (Not bashing, that is just a fact)

4. rumpus macrumors member

Interesting poll, I say :)

Yes, they actually are overusing it a bit IMO. When SJ summarized the iPad as "a magical revolu....." I really thought they were pushing it. I won't mind a Magic Trackpad though !

5. MagicMouse thread starter macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I just want to know what more they could do to the trackpad... Touchscreen for dashboard maybe? I just really wonder.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's really not that serious. If you think about it many companies use a corny buzzword to advertise their products. OP, you might say you wouldn't but if you were the head a company and wanted to get public buzz and you have stock holders to please you would use corny buzz words to sell your product. This thread in general is a good example. If "Magical" didn't strike a nerve you wouldn't be talking about it. Whether you like Apple's use of the term "magical" or don't like it, you're still talking about it. See, it works. :)

7. MagicMouse thread starter macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I didn't say it was good or bad (my screen name is Magic Mouse!! lol)

I just wondered what the consumer thinks. You can over use a word in advertising, that doesn't mean people won't buy it, but they will get annoyed.
    It is working for them with the mouse and possible trackpad, but now it is spreading and I just wonder if Apple fans are liking that word being thrown around more and more.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I got your point, but you're not getting mine. You're wondering if people are getting annoyed by the overuse of "magical" by Apple? Well, the more annoyed, the better, that means people are talking about it and that draws attention. I'm just saying it's good marketing if people are talking about it such as you creating this pole.
    But if you want to know if bothers people, just for the sake of knowing? Well, I can't speak for others but I don't care one way or the other. Speaking of a company with the overuse of the word magic, I don't see any point in Sony continuing to call their plain old secure digital card a "Magic Gate" memory stick, what's magical about it?
    To each his own, but there's nothing wrong with Apple using the word Magical with all their forthcoming products, it's just marketing.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And yet you've opted a user name with magic in the name :eek:

10. MagicMouse thread starter macrumors regular

MagicMouse

You took that out of context.... I said it was annoying in that video because he says it is like nothing you have ever seen before and exceeds what is possible and that makes it "magical"

The tech in it is not new and magical, it is iPod Touch tech on a larger scale.

Try reading it all next time please.

11. Law213 macrumors newbie

I don't care about magic.

At least "magical" doesn't get much airtime on this forum or in the general public yet.

Now, for a truly overused, under explained word I give you the most common and misused and generally ridiculous word used to describe, well, just about everything that is pretty: ELEGANT.

It has become just a filler adjective for people to throw in when they are listing off attributes.....so common as to be meaningless as a descriptor.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It really doesn't bother me, it's called marketing.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

14. phrint macrumors 6502

Apple's naming scheme is becoming nothing but a marketing ploy at this point. I wonder if Steve has a hat full of names and pulls one out every time he builds a new product. Baffles the mind.

15. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

it's not magic, it's science.

apple is being retarded.

16. MagicMouse thread starter macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I really am finding these results interesting. :D

17. chipxsd macrumors newbie

18. eat me macrumors member

Yes, it's really annoying, but kind of targets the right market - people for whom iPad (irrespective of whether it's a good product or not) is really so "OMG I'VE NEVER SEEN TECH LIKE THAT AND HAVE A SMALL UNCREATIVE BRAIN TO IMAGINE IT, it's like... it's MAGIC!!!!"

I mean, "A magical and revolutionary product"? Come on, this moronic slogan nearly prescribes "magical" to iPad as if it's an actual physical quality. It's even more annoying when you think of what iPad could've actually been, instead of iPod XXL (in it's current state).

To sum up - the magic thing sucks hard, and I'd love it if they drop it.

19. eat me macrumors member

Exactly my point. "Automagically"? JC, what's next... I think SJ is spending way too much time hanging out with Disney buddies, in a world "filled with magic".

20. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

I wish they'd just release some magical macbook pro's and be done with it :cool:

21. macaco74 macrumors regular

I think that the use of the word Magical and Revolutionary for the iPad is incorrect. I may be the minority, but those adjectives may have applied to the iPhone but I still cannot see what this iPad offers me over and above a big screen and an e-book app. I have the kindle app for my iPhone...

22. MagicMouse thread starter macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I agree, this is my point in reference to the iPad promotional video and Apple.com home page ad.

Seems like a lot of people don't like magic apples...

I think sleeping beauty would hate this too! ;) :D

http://www.winmentalhealth.com/images/disney.snow.white.wicked.witch.magic.apple.jpg

23. Law213 macrumors newbie

elegant is the evil descriptor. magic is not prevalent enough yet....

Sorry, I'm just pouting. Bad mood.

24. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

"Magical" implies that Apple doesn't understand the scientific principles that make it work so they have to attribute it to magic. So it's basically an insult to their engineers.

25. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It's a poor PR term, I'm surprised it made it this far without someone flagging it, but I guess it's drawing upon the whole "mystical" trend in popular culture at the moment (Harry Potter/Twilight/True Blood etc) as a way of getting in a young/hip audience, as well as being a way of describing (in my view) the golden age of technology, 5 years ago the iPad was an unfeasible dream of Mac nerds all over, now it's just accepted for what it is, which is pretty damn remarkable when you think about it...