Magnetic Apple Pencil damaging edge of new iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lisarobbie, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Lisarobbie macrumors newbie

Lisarobbie

40F86429-19BA-4F06-8B96-35BD59F7E8CC.jpeg Hi everyone! I’m new here - wondering if anyone else has this problem? I have the new Apple Pencil and iPad Pro - and where the Apple Pencil magnetically attaches to the edge of the iPad Pro the surface of the iPad Pro edge is being damaged. I’ll upload a photo to detail! These marks cannot be wiped off - you can feel the damage when you run you finger across it - basically the magnets in the Pencil are removing the surface of the iPad finish. There are corresponding marks on the Pencil in space grey to match!
    Thanks for your advice!
    {ps this is about 2 weeks old!}
    Lis

2. ericwn macrumors 68020

This to me looks as if they are rubbing marks. When you transport the iPad does the pencil have room to wiggle around?

Anyway, I would contact Apple and see what their opinion is.

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Do you take the iPad with you, in a case, and with the pencil left in place on the side? Likely the pencil gets to move around too much, leaving the marks

4. phoreohphore macrumors newbie

Same here for me! It’s acutally broken through a few layers of the powder coating! Going to check in with apple about this.

Attached Files:

5. Lisarobbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Lisarobbie

Yep through the powder coating here too! Be interested to hear what response you get from Apple! It happened within days of getting the new iPad Pro - hasn’t gotten much worse since though.

6. fonziewonzie macrumors newbie

fonziewonzie

Same here. I actually spoke to Apple Support on the phone, and they told me to bring the iPad to an Apple Store with the Apple Pencil as well.

Let’s see what happens next.

Attached Files:

7. ArrayOfLilly macrumors newbie

ArrayOfLilly

Same here. And I keep my pencil at home, I attach it only for charging before use, few times only (10-15 times maybe). (Its marks are less visible, of course.)

8. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

I’ve not had this issue on an 11” iPad Pro WiFi model. I’ve had mine since mid January and other than the tiniest scuff mark on the flat edge of the Pencil, I haven’t seen any kind of scuffing on the iPad.

9. ArrayOfLilly macrumors newbie

ArrayOfLilly

I attached it today (only once) to see what was happening. And a whole patch of coloring came off at the same time. How can I charge it from now on? Maybe through a kitchen towel?! It will be funny...

(I attached and removed immediately, there wasn’t any displacement or friction.)

10. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors 6502

12.9 3rd gen LTE 1tb SG.

1st production run. Had it since they started shipping months ago.

I use the ipad 5 days a week and the pencil is in use daily.

To date no scratches or scuffs on the top. I “place” the pencil directly on top and it attaches that way. I dont “slide” the pencil up onto the top nor do I slide it around. I just place it and it sticks.

The pencil still looks brand new and I’ve had it as long as the ipad.

11. ArrayOfLilly macrumors newbie

ArrayOfLilly

Good to know.

So this means that there is probably a faulty batch. I think it's worth checking out at Apple.

12. phoreohphore macrumors newbie

Update!

Went to Apple store for genius appointment. Checked the instore models before it to see if they had marks but they didn’t.

Showed the issue and the employee checked his iPad guide of faults and it wasn’t listed in there. Went to confer with his colleagues too see what they thought, some said it’s ‘wear and tear’ some didn’t. But they all agreed it’s the magnets that are causing it.
    It was his call as to what to do as it’s not a known issue (yet) - he asked how I placed the Apple Pencil on there, trying to infer that somehow I put it on there wrong (what possible way can you attach it wrong and cause that damage!?).

In the end they are replacing the whole unit for me. He was very nice about it but it’s defiently not an issue Apple knows about yet so your mileage may vary.

13. Frieg, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019

Frieg macrumors member

Apple employees are not allowed to confirm in any way that they have seen any form of issue before or that it is a known issue even if they had multiple times, it's in their contracts. they always have to make the customer believe that apple devices never fail and that he is the first reporting that specific issue. if they deviate from that guidelines they are in serious trouble. that's the reason why sometimes the conversations become somewhat ridiculous if the issue is already widespread known but the guidelines haven't been updated how to deal officially with a known issue.

14. Khedron macrumors 65816

Apple is an Orwellian company forcing doublethink on its staff: "I've never seen this issue before but in other cases the problem was..."