Magnetic Plug Broke

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Acorn, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I tripped over my plug for the millionth time and instead of the magnet part detaching the entire cord ripped out of the magnetic piece. it was on its way out for awhile now ive been having trouble with it connecting with the magnets for weeks now. it would take 15 to 20 times just to get it to charge.

so my question is my laptop is still under warrenty. would they replace the plug for me or they wont because basically it was my fault. if they would replace what do i need to bring to the apple store. could i just bring the plug and a purchase receipt of my laptop to show its in warranty.

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Warranty doesn't cover accidental damage.

Can't you just buy a new charger?

3. Macman45, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Take It Back

To an Apple store, and hope you get a friendly genius...The damage is not Apple's responsibility really as you caused it yourself. But you might get lucky

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I've gone through a couple of MagSafe adapters and the store has replaced them.

5. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

im not looking to rip apple off. I just didnt know what the deal is with their adapters since i know they have had problems with them in the past.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Make a Genius appointment and find out. Be polite and tell them what happened. There's no way of knowing what will happen till you do.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Apple will probably replace it for free, if you go in and claim that "it just broke."

You know how and why it was damaged, and that the damage is not Apples fault. The honest thing to do would be to go and buy a new charger.

8. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

how much is a ac adapter. i will just buy one. ive been tripping over it for months until it finally broke i will just buy a new one.

9. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

in a way though, you know, it did "just break", as the masgasfe, which should have parted company from the mac under the strain didn't do its job. I would recommend being honest on to the person in the apple store, of course, but just point out that the magsafe didn't work as advertised.

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I agree with this ^^^ Yes, you tripped over it, but if the Magsafe was working properly it would have detached from your computer. Go to an Apple Store and explain what happened. The worst they'll do is make you buy a new one. But there's a decent chance they'll replace it for you. If you need to buy one they're $79.

11. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

alright thanks i will post back what happens. i will leave for apple store in about 20 minutes.

12. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Just hope you get a friendly Genius. Magsafe are suppose to detach when it is stepped on, since this one isn't doing its job i guess you have full rights to get a new one.
    GL :)

13. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

good luck, i just got an ipod classic replaced by a brand new one that always froze my itunes and would have run out of warranty in 2 weeks. Apple Customer service owns.

14. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

ok back from the apple store. I went to the applestore with the adapter. they made a genius appointment and took me 30 seconds later. good thing it was early morning. I explained what happened and that I tripped over it. he looked at it and said wow. it should have disengaged. the whole magnetic tip didnt even look like it was used. the cable pulled right out of it. anyway i brought up i wasnt sure if it was covered or not covered and he just opened a new power box adapter and handed it to me and said your all set. sweet. the guy was awesome. i brought my warrenty receipt with me just in case but he didn even ask for it. I was in and out in like 5 minutes. if that was the apple experience then it owns

I will definitely take care of this one.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed with the comments its partially apples fault, im pretty sure one of the features of the magsafe is if the plug gets pulled or "tripped" over its suppose to detach without pulling the MBP off the table with it, this case the magsafe did not detach

----------

good follow up thanks for sharing, you do hear more positive apple stories like this than bad ones

16. wpotere Guest

Generally if you are honest with them they will be willing to work with you. Glad to hear they sorted it for you.

17. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

It is amazing how many people can turn an accident into "Apples" fault.

Does anyone accept responsibility for anything anymore??:confused:

18. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

^ yes this is true but the MagSafe design is specifically for what he explained. It failed.

19. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

i was completely upfront with the guy and specifically told him that i tripped. he said it should have come off not break like that. i wasnt blaming anyone.

20. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

generally your correct, but im pretty sure even in the magsafe video i seen they used tripping over the cord as a feature of how the magsafe safely detaches

edit: quoted the wrong post

MagSafe Power Adapter
    The power cord is held in place magnetically, so if someone should trip over it, the cord disconnects harmlessly and your MacBook Pro stays put safely.

right off the apple site

21. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

What do you mean I am generally correct? I am 100% correct in its usage as you further outlined. Lol. It's designed for that and it failed. Legit apple store claim.

Edit, saw your edit. :)

22. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The OP never said it was Apple's fault. But it kinda is because the Magsafe didn't detach the way it was supposed to. He was honest, told them what happened and they replaced it. Lying about what had happened would have been dodging responsibility, but that's not what the OP did.

To the OP, glad you got it replaced. Try to trip on this one a little less often ;)

23. thundersteele macrumors 68030

For one individual event, this is true. However, if you look at the OPs post:

The connector was constantly abused, and after a long time just gave up. Based on what the OP wrote, I wouldn't say that it broke due to a technical defect, i.e. there was no need for Apple to replace it for free.

It's good to hear that the OP was honest and upfront about how the damage happened, and good for him that Apple replaced it without making further trouble.

24. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

nope, he didn't. I did though. And I was right.
    If apple are going to insert an anti clumsiness device in their machines, and make a big deal out of advertising the mag-safe as such, it has to do what they say it does. i.e. disconnect safely under a sudden strain. which the OPs didn't. Obviously apple employees feel the same way, hence new charging cable.

I know ripping off companies isn't cool, irrespective of the companies size. I too loathe the posts which run along the lines of "my iWhatever has been broken by my own carelessness, do you think if I *insert some daft scheme here* the people at the apple store won't notice, after all they are a huge company and they can afford to be ripped off by just me".
    But the OP has never said that sort of thing, he just wanted a product to perform as advertised. which sounds fair enough to me.

25. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

While this is the case for many things people post about here, in this case the OP was completely up-front about the blame for the problem, and was probably understating Apple's responsibility in the issue.

jW