Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dacalo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
I came across this post in Amazon where I was looking to return my Yoobao case for my iPad 2:

Well.... since you asked... the issue is that most people think that magnets are all similar. In-fact there are three characteristics that categorize a magnet; Residual Induction (measured in Gauss) Maximum Energy Product (measured in Gauss-Oersteds) and Coercive Force (measured in Oersteds). If these 3 properties are not the same as the magnets that Apple uses, there could be problems. I know you will try to minimize the use of your magnets in your case, but the simple fact is that many people have already complained that the use of random magnets in their iPad and iPod cases have caused many problems with iPads and iPods down the road. Some people have even had to bring their iPads/iPods in for service related to magnets in cases. Your company would have to have purchased the same exact magnets that Apple uses in their case (with the same 3 properties) for there to be no issues, and that is highly doubtful. Magnets have also been known to interfere with the compass/GPS functions. I do not want to debate the issue of magnets with you here, I simply want a leather case similar to yours for the iPad 2 that does NOT contain magnets. Simply put, I do not want to have problems with a $800.00 piece of electronics because of a 2 cent magnet. From what I read in many forums I am not the only one who feels this way. Magnets will also cause problems with other things, like drivers licenses, ID's and credit cards. If I can have a seamstress remove the magnet from your case that would be great. If not then I'll just buy another case that does NOT contain magnets. Thanks.

And I agree. I was concerned about the magnet in my Yoobao case potentially harming my iPad in the long run even though this wasn't the main reason I am returning the case. All other cases out there, the Potenzo, P&Q, they ALL have smart cover feature.

Thoughts?

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Apple released the smartcover themselves. I'm sure there is not effect to the actual iPad or they would have never releases this product.

dacalo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Apple released the smartcover themselves. I'm sure there is not effect to the actual iPad or they would have never releases this product.

I think you missed my point. I am not worried about the magnet itself per se, but that other smart cover clones do not use similar magnets with Apple's specs.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I think you missed my point. I am not worried about the magnet itself per se, but that other smart cover clones do not use similar magnets with Apple's specs.

It's a magnet. They all work pretty much the same way. The only differences (simply stated) would be the physical size and the strength of its field. I would bet Apple uses neodymium, which are the strongest permanent magnets available, currently. (There's another thread about the Smart Cover magnets, btw. Check my post there discussing effects on compasses and GPS, etc. Although the post you quote describing differences in magnets seems accurate, the points about "long term effects" aren't. No one going down this train of thought has shown specifically which compontents could be damaged and if so, specifically how that would occur. Think for a second about devices using hard drives - they contain much larger and "stronger" magnets than could ever be used in a cover, yet those devices go on their merry way just fine.).

The only thing a 3rd party case manufacturer could do is misplace the magnet, or use something so weak it wouldn't be sensed (not likely) - either way, it would only mean the sleep/wake function wouldn't work.

Last edited:

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I came across this post in Amazon where I was looking to return my Yoobao case for my iPad 2:

And I agree. I was concerned about the magnet in my Yoobao case potentially harming my iPad in the long run even though this wasn't the main reason I am returning the case. All other cases out there, the Potenzo, P&Q, they ALL have smart cover feature.

Thoughts?

Great, more FUD

Back when Nokia phones were the talk of the town, I had this magnetic dash mount in my car and that thing was strong. But the most interesting thing about this magnetic dash mount is that it was a NON NOKIA UNIVERSAL magnetic dash mount. All it was is a huge neodymium magnet that probably could have pulled 5lbs. Did it hurt my cellphone? No it didn't. Sometimes I would forget and leave it mounted overnight. Did it hurt my cellphone? No it didn't.

Will tiny aftermarket probably neodymium magnets hurt your iPad. No.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.