Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The newly-launched MagSafe Battery Pack for the iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max is now available for in-store pickup at Apple Stores in a range of countries and regions around the world.

magsafe-battery-pack-feature2.jpg

Spot checks show that customers in the U.S., Canada, UK, EU, Australia, Japan, and China can now place an order for a MagSafe Battery Pack on Apple's website or in the Apple Store app and arrange for in-store pickup at a local retail location. In-store pickup may be one of the only ways to get a ‌MagSafe Battery Pack immediately as mail orders are already facing moderate delays of around one to two weeks.

Priced at $99 in the United States, the MagSafe Battery Pack attaches magnetically to the back of the iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max, providing additional hours of battery life. Apple says the battery pack is able to wirelessly charge the iPhone at up to 5W on the go, or at up to 15W when the battery pack is connected to a 20W or higher power adapter with a Lightning to USB-C cable.

Article Link: MagSafe Battery Pack Now Available for Apple Store Pickup

Last edited:

SD449

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2012
Can you charge the phone and battery pack attached with a MagSafe charger??

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
btw it is not possible to use HEIC images here
WEBP format never gained major traction either.
Thank you for the reply.

I asked in local Apple store and they said yes, but didn’t fill me full of confidence
Apple Store staff, being trained by Apple, don’t really know much more than we know. And for them, networking and community seems to value a bit more than technical knowledge.
Still, Apple has 14-day return policy. So it should be ok to try it out a few days before turning it off.

InGen

Suspended
Jun 22, 2020
Looking forward to see how much charge it provides to an iPhone 12 Pro from completely drained status

Hopeful that it might be close to 1x full charge.

can it charge apple watch as well?

No but it can charge an AirPods case according to early reviewers

Reactions: valleian

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Thank you for the reply.

I asked in local Apple store and they said yes, but didn’t fill me full of confidence
I don't think the battery pack can be charged with a magsafe charger (I may be wrong on this, but it seems designed to be charged with a lightning cable). The apple store employee probably misunderstood your question, and thought you were asking if you could charge both the phone and the battery pack together at the same time.

Which seems like a miss, because one of the older iPhone battery cases could in fact be charged wirelessly, IIRC.

popdan

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2021
so all the apple products have type c apart from iPhone and now even the battery pack has type c charging AHAHA
I misread the spec on the battery. My bad

Last edited:

michiemme

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
I don't think the battery pack can be charged with a magsafe charger (I may be wrong on this, but it seems designed to be charged with a lightning cable). The apple store employee probably misunderstood your question, and thought you were asking if you could charge both the phone and the battery pack together at the same time.

Which seems like a miss, because one of the older iPhone battery cases could in fact be charged wirelessly, IIRC.
But… since it can be reverse charged by the iPhone, it could be possible..

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
If anyone tries it on an iPhone not listed in the ones it specifies it’s for (esp 10S) please let me know if it works

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I got mine today. I’m surprised at the weight of it, in fact a little disappointed at how heavy it is. The big test will be just daily use and if I get use to it. I have always had the battery cases on my iPhones.
it can only be charged by lightning cable, this I don’t understand. It does charge the airpod pros I have. I haven’t tried my watch series 6 but I doubt it does charge that.
the magnetism of it is great, very strong and doesn’t really move.
The white colour of it is more like the old school MacBooks so doesn’t colour match with the white silicone apple case (the case is more of an off white that I noticed when you attach the pack).
also to note that ios15 beta 3 has not been updated to recognise the pack, it comes up as “generic UPS” as you can see from the photos.
happy to give some more feedback after a week of use. I’m lastly disappointed that I can’t use a qi charger for it but it can be used as a qi charger at hoke and just attached when you leave the house in need.

Attachments

• CB3ED556-8B97-46BD-878A-FB5EE68FEAA5.png
    CB3ED556-8B97-46BD-878A-FB5EE68FEAA5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • FAA8B9FC-0EF4-4053-9474-EA6B74848BB2.png
    FAA8B9FC-0EF4-4053-9474-EA6B74848BB2.png
    871 KB · Views: 107

SD449

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2012
The apple store employee probably misunderstood your question, and thought you were asking if you could charge both the phone and the battery pack together at the same time.
They understood and I made it clear even bringing up the example you used, but saying can I charge with MagSafe and explained the sandwich of MagSafe, battery, phone

Obviously they’re New but they thought it would work like a battery case which can be charged with MagSafe, charging the phone first then battery (case).
So that logic makes sense

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.