Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LongWayHome

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
I'm sorry, I've tried to love this product, and then I even tried to just like it, but its just absolutely terrible. Apple has effectively ruined wireless charging in their new devices all in the name of keeping things proprietary for them to keep the cash rolling in. Its is such a poorly done product that makes absolutely zero sense outside of Apple screwing over both the consumer, and manufacturers of Qi charging products.

I watched an interesting video on YouTube (SnazzyLabs) who theorized that Apple made MagSafe because they refuse to comply with the EU's new law that states that all manufacturers must now use the same chargers (USB-C). Apple will be forced after this year to make all of their phones with a standard USB-C charging cable. Well that would be a huge loss of income for Apple due to the fact that the lightning cable and 3rd party MFI (Made for iPhone) lightning cables is a billion dollar industry. Apple makes $4 for every single lightning cable sold in the world with the MFI logo on them. That is a massive amount of money lost if they had to comply to this new law in Europe. So to get around this law, they are going to make a portless phone that only charges with Magsafe next year. 3rd party Manufacturers will have to comply to Apple's standards and have the MFI logo put on any MagSafe alternatives to wirelessly charging, which keeps the cash in Apple's hands. I realize this is a business but they are forcing manufacturers to comply to a new standard of wireless charging while also making us as the consumer buy new wireless chargers if we want to get the full benefit out of them.

The other reason I hate Magsafe is that its crippled all of my other wireless chargers. Apple purposely made its new iPhones only capable of charging at a VERY low wattage on standard Qi charging pads. This is obviously done to push people to use MagSafe, or to buy the new wireless chargers that will have the (MFI) logo on them that comply to Apple's new wireless charging standards. My wireless chargers charge my iPhone 12 max so slowly now that its not really worth using them if I need to get a quick charge in.

Outside of those reasons above, I don't like it becuase its the same as using a cable, it heats up your phone way to much, the cord is too short, the cord gets in the way if not pointed directly down, it damages Apple's expensive leather case, and to me its a completely pointless accessory that Apple is shoving on us because they refuse to make a standard USB-C charging cable for their phones.

I'm sorry for the rant but I had to get that out.

Last edited:

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
That whole Lightning argument brakes down though with the iPad Pros for example. Apple is obviously willing to ditch Lightning if it makes sense.

I also don't think that the EU ever decided what they actually wanted to do. The latest articles I could find about the topic were from earlier this year. And they had not come up with an exact plan by then. Maybe someone has a more current link?

The advantage of MagSafe is supposed to be that you don't have to align your device on the charger. That is actually something I personally don't like about "normal" charging pads. It is easy to misalign the phone or the phone might move/slip. Won't happen with MagSafe. I like the charging puck for the Apple Watch a lot for that very reason.

But that charging on "normal" Qi pads is actually slower than it should be does suck of course.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
The other reason I hate Magsafe is that its crippled all of my other wireless chargers. Apple purposely made its new iPhones only capable of charging at a VERY low wattage on standard Qi charging pads. This is obviously done to push people to use MagSafe, or to buy the new wireless chargers that will have the (MFI) logo on them that comply to Apple's new wireless charging standards. My wireless chargers charge my iPhone 12 max so slowly now that its not really worth using them if I need to get a quick charge in.

Outside of those reasons above, I don't like it becuase its the same as using a cable, it heats up your phone way to much, the cord is too short, the cord gets in the way if not pointed directly down, it damages Apple's expensive leather case, and to me its a completely pointless accessory that Apple is shoving on us because they refuse to make a standard USB-C charging cable for their phones.

I'm sorry for the rant but I had to get that out.

I get that you don't like Magsafe, it ain't for everybody, but I think you have made some factual errors here.

• You say "Apple purposely made new iPhones only capable of charging at a VERY low wattage standard QI charging pads.":
    This is not true in my experience. I've measured my cheap YooTech chargers with a USB-C wattage tester, and I'm getting the exact same results with my wife's old iPhone XS (7.5w) as I am with her new phone (7.5w). You could argue that 7.5w max is a slow charging rate for sure, but it isn't anything new. As has been reported here, some QI chargers don't like the new Magsafe ring my guess is there are two things going on:
    • I think different dimensions could be a contributing factor to some problems. Different coil alignment. Your Pro Max for example may be too high, or the mini too short to align properly with the coils on an easel style charger?
    • I suspect foreign object detection may be causing issues as well. Some pads have more aggressive foreign object detection than others. On my old iPhone XS Max, I had problems with a Pitaka mag-case for the same reason. My Pixel 4XL with a metal plate mounted under the coils also cause issues on some chargers, but not all. Every single QI charger I have in my house from years of playing with android work just fine with my iPhone 12. Hell, even the crappy "gift" one United Airlines sent me that refused to charge my Pixel 4XL works fine!
  • You say "My wireless chargers charge my iPhone 12 max so slowly now that its not really worth using them if I need to get a quick charge in.":
    I'd agree. Quick-charging simply isn't a strength of standard QI chargers. Arguably if Apple would support the standard 15w QI charging protocol it would be a bit better. Fundamentally though, wireless charging is lossy and generates heat. Yes, some phone manufacturers now use proprietary methods for attaining higher wireless charging, but these also come with lots of heat and often the need for a cooling fan in the charger. If you need a quick top-off, a cable will always be better.
  • You say "to me its a completely pointless accessory that apple is shoving on us.":
    Accessories are by definition optional. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It isn't "shoved" on anyone. Furthermore, I happen to think the simple addition of a ring of magnets improves wireless charging. Most notably, it is the first phone I've had since the Nexus 5, where magnets help to align to the optimal charging location every single time. Alignment has always been the most annoying thing about wireless charging. Furthermore, I love the fact that now magnetic car mounts will be standardized... we can finally do away with sticking metal plates on our cases, or figuring out exactly where to mount a magnetic metal ring on the back of the phone etc.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I watched an interesting video on YouTube (SnazzyLabs) who theorized that Apple made MagSafe because they refuse to comply with the EU's new law that states that all manufacturers must now use the same chargers (USB-C). Apple will be forced after this year to make all of their phones with a standard USB-C charging cable. Well that would be a huge loss of income for Apple due to the fact that the lightning cable and 3rd party MFI (Made for iPhone) lightning cables is a billion dollar industry. Apple makes $4 for every single lightning cable sold in the world with the MFI logo on them. That is a massive amount of money lost if they had to comply to this new law in Europe. So to get around this law, they are going to make a portless phone that only charges with Magsafe next year.

That was the first thing I thought of too, when I heard that they were extending the MFI program to include MagSafe.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
That was the first thing I thought of too, when I heard that they were extending the MFI program to include MagSafe.
One could see that as a money grab (which it probably is), but with charging equipment I LIKE the certification. Go over to reddit and check out /r/usbchardware. You'll see that there are TONS of poorly designed/implemented USB-C products out there that are potential fire hazards and/or can damage your device. I typically will only buy USB IF certified devices, or products that have been reviewed by Benson Leung (not sure on the spelling) for this reason.

Frankly I don't trust some crappy 3rd party charger with no verification or certification, especially when heat is such a big issue in the wireless world. I've had crappy QI chargers actually melt in the past with my older Android phones. Not something I wish to repeat.

I'm not the only one that has happened to either:
Google "qi charger melt"

Yeah basically, with added magnets
Yeah. I really don't understand people getting so bent out of shape about what amounts to only the addition of magnets that help with alignment and mounting. Literally nobody moaned about the magnets in the Nexus 5 line.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I like the idea of setting my phone on my nightstand (in half darkness) and know it will be charged in the morning, is this worth $40+....probably not, but it is totally a convenience thing for me.

Things I do not like.

-No power brick included (this is just plain wrong and stingy on apples part)
-Stating it only works with 20w brick when clearly it doesn’t (works fine on IPP 18W bricks and similar 3rd party bricks)
-Also i wish you could have the option to slow charge, although i like the magnets that “show” the charger/phones optimal charge point, i don’t exactly need the “fast charge“ if i am charging overnight, and well there is that rumor (probably fact) That fast charging will reek havoc on your phone over time.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I don't like it because its the same as using a cable, it heats up your phone way to much, the cord is too short, the cord gets in the way if not pointed directly down, it damages Apple's expensive leather case, and to me its a completely pointless accessory that Apple is shoving on us because they refuse to make a standard USB-C charging cable for their phones.
I like Qi wireless charging. Not having to fiddle with connector to charge your phone just feels right to me, however slow it charges. But it is an imperfect technology:
  • Erratic alignment: MagSafe solves this issue by magnetically aligning the phone to the charging surface.
  • Slower than cable: MagSafe is faster than typical Qi chargers. It still slower than Lightning, but fast enough for most.
  • Not as portable as cable: MagSafe Charger and MagSafe Duo are certainly more portable than many travel-oriented Qi wireless chargers.
  • Cannot charge and use at the same time: MagSafe Charger cable is "sticky" enough that I can charge and use the phone at the same time.
But MagSafe, too, isn't perfect:
  • It's expensive: It costs $20 more than USB-C to Lightning Cable. Given time, third party manufacturers should bring cheaper alternatives. But for now, we are stuck with premium priced Apple solutions.
  • Not versatile: For now, we are stuck with cable-style charger (MagSafe Charger) and travel-oriented charger (MagSafe Duo). In time, Belkin and other manufacturers will bring more diverse implementations, such as chargers more suitable for nightstand/coffee table placement and car mount.
  • It gets warm: To be fair, Qi gets warm. iOS has thermal management to slow MagSafe charging when it becomes too hot. But as Apple warned, some cases might develop "MagSafe ring" imprint. Again, third party might bring better thermal management.
  • Does not fully replace USB-C: USB-C can quickly transfer data, can charge quickly, and universal. While Wi-Fi can be fast, syncing iPhone with the Mac via Wi-Fi isn't as robust as Lightning to USB-C. And if you aren't using iCloud Photo Library, syncing still requires using Lightning.
  • Some cases are not MagSafe friendly: Only a small percentage of cases have MagSafe magnetic ring. Some are thin enough for iPhone's MagSafe magnetic ring to still work, but it can be hit or miss.
All in all, I am excited about the possibility MagSafe brings. It may be imperfect but I think we will look back at this transition time with fondness.

DieselFiend1989

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2019
Irritated that ALL my current Anker and Samsung wireless chargers, which worked flawlessly with every previous generation of wireless charge capable iphone. Will absolutely not work with the wife and I’s new 12pm’s. Magsafe wont work through any case that offers real protection(otter defender pro for us). Sooo, back to wired charging until they take the port from us.. oh well, better for the battery anyway I suppose.

LongWayHome

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
That whole Lightning argument brakes down though with the iPad Pros for example. Apple is obviously willing to ditch Lightning if it makes sense.

I also don't think that the EU ever decided what they actually wanted to do. The latest articles I could find about the topic were from earlier this year. And they had not come up with an exact plan by then. Maybe someone has a more current link?

The advantage of MagSafe is supposed to be that you don't have to align your device on the charger. That is actually something I personally don't like about "normal" charging pads. It is easy to misalign the phone or the phone might move/slip. Won't happen with MagSafe. I like the charging puck for the Apple Watch a lot for that very reason.

But that charging on "normal" Qi pads is actually slower than it should be does suck of course.

Well if you can tell me how it makes sense for the iPad and not the iPhone then I'd love to hear it.

And yes, the EU did decide what they are going to do. They ruled that all phoens have to have a common charger, period.

Yes I know the advantage of magsafe. But its funny that that's now the argument for it that all of these other wireless chargers somehow became difficult to lay your phone directly on. I mean really? That's an extremely flimsy argument to justify the product.

LongWayHome

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
One could see that as a money grab (which it probably is), but with charging equipment I LIKE the certification. Go over to reddit and check out /r/usbchardware. You'll see that there are TONS of poorly designed/implemented USB-C products out there that are potential fire hazards and/or can damage your device. I typically will only buy USB IF certified devices, or products that have been reviewed by Benson Leung (not sure on the spelling) for this reason.

Frankly I don't trust some crappy 3rd party charger with no verification or certification, especially when heat is such a big issue in the wireless world. I've had crappy QI chargers actually melt in the past with my older Android phones. Not something I wish to repeat.

I'm not the only one that has happened to either:
Google "qi charger melt"

Yeah. I really don't understand people getting so bent out of shape about what amounts to only the addition of magnets that help with alignment and mounting. Literally nobody moaned about the magnets in the Nexus 5 line.
Right but I don't think you are understanding. Qi has a standard, but that standard has been changed by Apple so that they can get money for each wireless charger sold. So none (if you have any) of your name brand wireless chargers are going to work like they did before because they don't have Apple's new certification. So my Mophie bedside charger is no longer ok to use I guess since it doesn't have the "Made for iPhone" certification on it. It doesn't charge at its normal rate and sometimes doesn't charge at all even though every model of iPhone I've had before the 12 worked perfectly with it.

This also invalidates their "environmental" nonsense because they suggesting that in order to get the full wattage out of wireless chargers that people need to buy the new wireless chargers that meet these new specifications.

LongWayHome

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
Irritated that ALL my current Anker and Samsung wireless chargers, which worked flawlessly with every previous generation of wireless charge capable iphone. Will absolutely not work with the wife and I’s new 12pm’s. Magsafe wont work through any case that offers real protection(otter defender pro for us). Sooo, back to wired charging until they take the port from us.. oh well, better for the battery anyway I suppose.
Yeah that's what I"m talking about. Its ridiculous that Apple has made all of the other wireless chargers ineffective and really annoys me. I have a great wireless charging car mount that I've used since the iPhone 8plus and it no longer chargers my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Well, let me clarify. Its charges the 12PM, but at such a slow rate its ridiculous to even use it.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I'm fully embracing MagSafe. I have an Apple silicone MagSafe case coming tomorrow. I'm eyeing this for my home office. I'm interested in a future MagSafe dash mount for my car.

SnazzyLabs is wrong. The portless iPhone has been in the works for years now. It's probably coming next year. MagSafe is their solution to charging said device.

I'm not even saying this is a great thing. I'm sure MagSafe has its downsides. But I'm just going to embrace it because if it works well, I think it will honestly be great.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Right but I don't think you are understanding. Qi has a standard, but that standard has been changed by Apple so that they can get money for each wireless charger sold. So none (if you have any) of your name brand wireless chargers are going to work like they did before because they don't have Apple's new certification. So my Mophie bedside charger is no longer ok to use I guess since it doesn't have the "Made for iPhone" certification on it. It doesn't charge at its normal rate and sometimes doesn't charge at all even though every model of iPhone I've had before the 12 worked perfectly with it.

This also invalidates their "environmental" nonsense because they suggesting that in order to get the full wattage out of wireless chargers that people need to buy the new wireless chargers that meet these new specifications.

You are partially right. Apple did not adopt the standard QI 15W charging standard...well at least they aren't letting their phones accept it without the NFC handshake.

That said, ALL of my current wireless chargers seem to work just fine. I have a generic "YooTech" charger sitting on my desk that I used with my Pixel 4XL till I got my 12 Pro Max Friday. That charger has a USB-C input, so I was actually able to plug in my little USB-C wattage tester. The charger was pulling 7.5w when I tested it this morning on my wife's Pro max which she managed to get down to <50% charge.

That charger is 100% working as it did with any previous iPhones. My other chargers I've not tested for wattage with the USB-C tester, but they are definitely working.

Your contention that Apple is rejecting ALL non-certified QI chargers is demonstrably wrong. Hell, there are many others mentioned in a thread in this same sub-forum that seem to work (read the thread, there are plenty of examples):

Something else is going on causing incompatibility, but you are 100% incorrect that apple has borked all existing chargers due to lack of MFI certification.

LongWayHome

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
You are partially right. Apple did not adopt the standard QI 15W charging standard...well at least they aren't letting their phones accept it without the NFC handshake.

That said, ALL of my current wireless chargers seem to work just fine. I have a generic "YooTech" charger sitting on my desk that I used with my Pixel 4XL till I got my 12 Pro Max Friday. That charger has a USB-C input, so I was actually able to plug in my little USB-C wattage tester. The charger was pulling 7.5w when I tested it this morning on my wife's Pro max which she managed to get down to <50% charge.

That charger is 100% working as it did with any previous iPhones. My other chargers I've not tested for wattage with the USB-C tester, but they are definitely working.

Your contention that Apple is rejecting ALL non-certified QI chargers is demonstrably wrong. Hell, there are many others mentioned in a thread in this same sub-forum that seem to work (read the thread, there are plenty of examples):

Something else is going on causing incompatibility, but you are 100% incorrect that apple has borked all existing chargers due to lack of MFI certification.

No I never said they rejected all non-certified Qi chargers. The wireless chargers work, they just charge at a much slower rate than every other iPhone I've ever used them with which to me is a complete step backward and simply an effort by Apple to get people to repurchase their certified wireless chargers.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
No I never said they rejected all non-certified Qi chargers. The wireless chargers work, they just charge at a much slower rate than every other iPhone I've ever used them with which to me is a complete step backward and simply an effort by Apple to get people to repurchase their certified wireless chargers.
Ok, I misunderstood what you were trying to say then. How are you determining the slower charging rate? Like I said, the one unit I measured was showing the expected charging rate.

Reactions: SDJim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.