MagSafe Port taking some damage.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dark Void, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hi,

My MagSafe Port has recently been getting really hot and actually burned a bit. I'm sorry, but I cannot provide pics at this time. However, it isn't too bad but there are a few black marks on the right side of it (between itself and the ethernet port) and the inside of it looks alright but is somewhat scuffed as well.

I don't think it is anything I am doing, as far as I know I am following proper procedure. I connect it when it is low on power and disconnect it when it is about full or completely so. Am I supposed to be ejecting it in some way instead of just disconnecting it while it is amber/green? Also, sometimes when I am gently trying to connect it, the magnetic force kind of takes over and it slams itself in and makes sort of a loud noise, but I figured that's normal.

I don't think it's anything I am doing, it has been fine for months until recently. Would this probably have to do with the charger itself? Should I call Apple and does anyone have experience with a similar claim?

Thank you.

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I would go to Apple, something's not right if it's getting that hot. I would be worried about it getting even hotter and something bad happening, be it an actual fire or just getting hot enough to cook something inside.

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Take it back.

The mag safe concept was basically sound, but in Apple's real life implementation it's more of a problem that the one it didn't solve.

I'd much rather Apple didn't try to wow people with marginal stuff like this.

They took what was the perfectly good, industry standard power cord, and screwed it up, just to attempt to make it idiot proof on the road they are paving, filled with Apple Toys and Appliances.

The Apple customer is percieved by them as a stupid below average intelligent human being that needs something so basic and simple, it's as toy like as the new Lion OS.

4. mmduluth macrumors regular

Are you sure those black marks are from it getting too hot and not just from scratches caused by the magsafe when your rubbing it around trying to get the charger attached. Mine have those grey/black marks and its small scratches from doing just that.

5. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

They appear to be burns, as the inside of it looks kind of banged up too. They don't look like scratches at all.

@maclaptop: As far as taking it back, do you mean the charger, or the entire laptop? It's a 2010 model, and I mean, this has only been recent. It's 7 months old.

I think I'll give them a call soon, and possibly take it in - but what should I expect out of this? A replacement, or?

Thanks for the replies.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Make a Genius appointment and take back the works. Let them figure out what's wrong. I've gone through a couple of adapters in a year (needs a better cable strain relief).

7. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Yeah, I will be calling and making an appointment, but I just want to know what I should expect out of this. I doubt they will replace the laptop itself, just the port and the charger in my opinion. Again, sorry I cannot provide pics as that question may be much easier to answer or give an opinion on, but the marks are obvious although not so significant.

8. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

No one I know has had trouble with the MagSafe, if fact it has saved some of there laptops from drops.

9. satchow macrumors 6502

Bring everything you think will help them figure out what the problem is. In this case, yes bring the charger along with the computer. We can't tell you what they will do in terms of replacement or whatever (Maybe they'll replace the charger, or the computer, or both? Depends on what they figure out to be broken).

I can tell you that yesterday, I got my 2010 i7 MBP (Highest end 15" MBP) replaced with a 2011 Highest End 15" MBP once I convinced them that the hardware was at fault for all the problems I had and not the software. If you push for a new MBP and can reasonably prove that the hardware is faulty, they'll probably give you a new replacement computer.

10. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Yeah, I'm not expecting a complete explanation of what will be specifically replaced or fixed, that is what I will be calling and going to the appointment for ... more so a specific MagSafe expectation is what I am looking for.

As opposed to brining the computer and charger when I show up - when I call, what information should I have on hand? I figure the obvious stuff such as the specific computer information and such, but should I know where my closest Apple Store is or something ... anything like that I should know?

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

yep. i freaked out the other day when i saw black marks around it. most of it came right off. frankly, it seems pretty unlikely that there is a fire burning in your magsafe port, or that it gets so hot it somehow burns the aluminum. try wiping it off with a damp cloth first.

maclaptop sometimes slips into ranting mode. the magsafe power cord is not only a good concept, but good implementation. i don't know what he is talking about here. it has saved me once already from having my computer pulled off the table. i am quite keen on it. no problems here. friends and colleagues with various models have not reported any problems either.

12. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I'll try to get some pics up soon and see if you guys think that they are actually burns or if I am overreacting or not. Few seconds... :3

13. mmduluth macrumors regular

Yea I mean my black marks wipe off with a little elbow grease but the inside doesn't look banged up or burned like you say yours does. For me it's just scratches/scuff marks that are kinda blackish grey in color.

14. satchow macrumors 6502

Just go on apple.com and find your nearest store. Set up a Genius appointment online for Mac at a good time and that's it. They don't ask you for receipt, serial number or a description of the problem. Just a date and a time that you'd like to show up. When you get there, you won't even need a receipt, just bring in the computer/power adapter and explain to them what the problem is and they'll work with you from there.

15. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Alright everyone thanks so much for the info & help. Here are a couple of pics:

The scuff on the right appears the be a burn mark, and the inside is kind of banged up in my view. Opinions?

Attached Files:

• pic1.JPG
      pic1.JPG
      File size:
      71.9 KB
      Views:
    • pic2.JPG
      pic2.JPG
      File size:
      83.4 KB
      Views:
  16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

17. mmduluth macrumors regular

This is basically exactly what mine looks like. Those marks on the side are just scratches and the inside black marks on mine appear to just be from the magnet locking it into place. It sometimes locks in with a lot of force.

18. ZStation macrumors newbie

You're clueless. MagSafe is brilliant.

I wish I had a fiver for every laptop I've seen written off because the "industry standard" power socket got snagged and ripped out of the motherboard, breaking the PCB, ruining the laptop totally. I used to do component level repairs to laptops, and some were so damaged the 6-layer PCB was shredded by the power socket moving about after someone pulled the cable carelessly.

19. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Here are some pics of the charger as well:

Attached Files:

20. blackbinary macrumors member

definitely scuff/scratch damage. Did you try removing it as suggest above?

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What "industry standard" power cord are you referring to? Every other laptop I've owned has had its own special power jack which often couldn't be used on another laptop of the same brand, let alone the laptop of another manufacturer. So much for "industry standard".

22. ZStation macrumors newbie

Looks totally normal to me...

I wish mine looked as good, and it works fine.

23. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

So, you guys believe that they are just scratches and the like?

I personally don't care what it looks like, but should I just try to remove it to make sure that that they are scuff marks? i.e. Would burn marks not be able to be removed by simply wiping it down? Otherwise I just plan on leaving them on, I just wanted to make sure that it's not burning or anything, hence my post.

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The plug looks normal and so does the connector on the MBP.

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

My problem with non Mac laptops were always with the plug. The laptop would slip off my bed or whatever surface and almost always land on the huge plug sticking out. I've never lost a MagSafe adaptor yet since I've owned Mac laptops beginning July of 2007.