MagSafe Power Adapter 85watts has exploded. Electrical scheme is needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Diesel300, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Diesel300 macrumors newbie

MagSafe Power Adapter 85watts(about 2 y old) has exploded. I need electrical scheme. Looks like capasitor shot.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Diesel300 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to try to fix it. Not big issue. My school education is enough for that.)

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Doesn't sound like a good idea, what with the explosion and all.

Any pics?

5. Diesel300, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

Diesel300 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a varistor, not capasitor, so the problem is bigger. Red fuse(i guess) belong is also broken.
    [​IMG]

6. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

If it has actually exploded or done something else dangerous like that I'm pretty sure Apple will replace it for you for free.

You want to make your customers happy when they have lawsuit material against you.

7. Diesel300 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nobody has the answer?

looks like it is true that ppl are saying - Mac is f. disposable thing for housewives.

8. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Okay

9. Ifti macrumors 68000

Personally I would contact Apple. No matter how old the item is, it shouldnt explode!

10. Diesel300 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was higj voltage impact. The strange thing is that power suplies from other devices such as Zalman, Dell, Logitech, Samsung even one cheep chinesse trash device easily have survived in the same time only Mac MagSafe has died.

11. Blipp macrumors 6502

People are answering you. They are telling you to call Apple and get a replacement for free. It's not worth fixing yourself simply because it's so easy to get another one for free. Apple is very accommodating with their replacement cords especially when they fail in a potentially dangerous manner.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Was that a fault in hour house wiring, lightning strike or something else? (Just curious).

I would say in case of a lightning strike, the primary design goal for a power supply wouldn't be to survive in working condition, but to protect whatever is attached to it, like an expensive MBP, and not let anything through that the attached device cannot handle. Worst case is probably a MacBook with the battery removed; that probably couldn't handle much more than the normal voltage from the power supply.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, you might as well take it there and try your luck. I am sure they _can_ replace it for free, even though they don't have to. Good people skills might be required as usual. If you tell them you are going to repair it they'll probably give you a free one instead of risking that you kill yourself :)

13. angel23ds macrumors newbie

Help me please

hi.. you can help me

I need a photo from the magsafe ...My charger don't work because a resistor in the panel explode...

Help me..I don't have idea the numer of this resistor to replace.

sorry for my English

Thanks
    :apple::apple::apple:

14. jonesea macrumors newbie

IMHO... If you can't identify the component in a switching power supply, you probably shouldn't be randomly replacing components in the hopes your going to fix it. Looks like a cap, but could also be a MOV.

Anyhow, you should be trouble shooting it first, even without a schematic handy (all switching power supplies are basically the built on the same block design). You could do some basic component testing with a multimeter before hand.

Our just buy a new one. That failure looks early on in the power supply stage, I'd suggest a HV spike took it out.