Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
I just bought a new MagSafe wallet for my iPhone 14 pro. The bottom of it doesn’t securely attach to my clear Apple case. I tried my old wallet on this case/phone and it’s noticeably more secure. Did apple change wallets?

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Yeah I’ve noticed this as well, magnets at the bottom seem weaker than last years
This is not secure enough for me to use. If it’s not defective and a new one won’t solve the problem, I’ll need to find a new wallet solution.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I use a new MagSafe wallet with a Apple leather case on my 14 PM and it’s been very secure. No issues for me.

Reactions: madrigal77

blueyz628

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
I have found that Apple cases have weaker magnets. My Case-Mate and Smartish cases have very strong magnets, it takes a bit more effort to take the wallets off the back.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
I’ve also noticed this. The magnets are considerably weaker and my wallet is constantly falling off of my clear MagSafe case when I take it out of my pocket.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
Glad I found this thread. I'm noticing this on my bare iPhone 14 Pro thought it was the case at first but seems the phone itself is weaker.

The bottom magnet piece (not the circle) is definitely less strong on my model and the wallet or car mount is now less secure than previous years. I'm getting magnet detecting film tomorrow to compare them directly.

I posted a video here to Twitter:
Here's my iPhone 13 Mini for comparison:
Hoping it's a "my iPhone issue" and will be fixed with a replacement. Will stop by a store next week.

Jongstar

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
I use a new MagSafe wallet with a Apple leather case on my 14 PM and it’s been very secure. No issues for me.
And what if you try to attach it to your phone directly? It's terrible for me, keeps falling off like in the videos shown here in the thread.

Jongstar

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
This is not secure enough for me to use. If it’s not defective and a new one won’t solve the problem, I’ll need to find a new wallet solution.
Same here. Have you found a good alternative yet?

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
And what if you try to attach it to your phone directly? It's terrible for me, keeps falling off like in the videos shown here in the thread.

If I attach it to my 14 PM directly I can pickup the phone with the wallet.

Reactions: Jongstar

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
For me it's definitely wallet and not the case. My old wallet attaches to my phone/case exactly how I expect it should. The new wallet is really loose, especially at the bottom. I'm using my old case for the moment before trying another case or some alternative.

Same here. Have you found a good alternative yet?
not yet :-(

Jongstar

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
For me it's definitely wallet and not the case. My old wallet attaches to my phone/case exactly how I expect it should. The new wallet is really loose, especially at the bottom. I'm using my old case for the moment before trying another case or some alternative.

I tried the new wallet on a friends iphone 12 and it was massively more sturdy there. So for me it’s definitely a phone issue..

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
So... I'm using my old wallet which works great with my phone. I stopped by an Apple Store today

1. The wallet I purchased with my 14 pro that was loose was a Midnight
2. I tried a Midnight wallet from the case/wallet display at the Apple Store... It was loose
3. My alternative color pick was an Ink wallet. I tried it and it was as secure as my old apple wallet that I used on my 13 pro and am currently using since on the 14 pro.
4. I went back and forth between the Ink, Midnight, and my old wallet just to make sure the Ink really was holding well..
5. I purchased a new Ink wallet while in the store
6. The Ink wallet I purchased slides around on the phone just like the Midnight wallet I purchased with the phone and the Midnight wallet I tested in store.

I'm back to using my old wallet until something gets figured out. This is annoying to say the least and my old wallet clashes color wise with my new phone.

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
UPDATE: My issue is with the iPhone 14 Pro and not with the Wallet

Equipment I'm experiencing the issue with:
Deep Purple Iphone 14 Pro with or without the Apple MagSafe Clear Case

Today I went back to the Apple Store and showed my issue to 3 Apple Employees. One of which supervised me narrowing down the issue and wrote it up to send to Apple. Here's what I did:

1. Tried every display MagSafe Wallet on my iPhone 14 Pro with the Clear MagSafe case: All but one had an insecure attachment
2. Tried every display MagSafe Wallet on my iPhone 14 Pro without the Clear MagSafe case: They ALL had an insecure attachment

Break in testing while Apple ran diagnostics on my phone just to make sure there weren't any issues. Phone passed diagnostics with no issues.

3. Tried 2 of my recently purchased MagSafe Wallets as well as an Apple in store display MagSafe Wallet previously identified as wiggly on Apple's display iPhone 14 Pro with a Silicone MagSafe case: All had an insecure attachment
4. Tried 2 of my recently purchased MagSafe Wallets as well as an Apple in store display MagSafe Wallet previously identified as wiggly on Apple's display iPhone 14 Non Pro with a Silicone MagSafe case: They were noticeably more secure
5. Tried 2 of my recently purchased MagSafe Wallets as well as an Apple in store display MagSafe Wallet previously identified as wiggly on Apple's display iPhone 14 Pro without a Silicone MagSafe case: All had an insecure attachment
6. Tried 2 of my recently purchased MagSafe Wallets as well as an Apple in store display MagSafe Wallet previously identified as wiggly on Apple's display iPhone 14 Non Pro without a Silicone MagSafe case: They were noticeably more secure

For whatever reason, my Wisteria Wallet works with the iPhone 14. I'll keep using it until some breakthrough on "Wallet Gate"

P.S. my MagSafe Battery Pack is satisfactorily secured at its top, but the base is pretty free. I can't remember if it was that way with the 13 Pro.

Reactions: msackey

sparkles61785

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
I‘m having this issue With the ink wallet case. The magnets are weak on both the naked Deep Purple IPhone 14 Pro Max and the phone with apple leather case on. When I tried the case on my phone in store last week, the magnets on the wallet were very strong, which is what prompted me to purchase the wallet. I’m going to swap it out tomorrow.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I've noticed the same thing on my 14 Pro Max and Apple leather case this year. It's almost as if they decided to remove any magnets below the magsafe circle. The bottom of my leather wallet is swayed easily since there is little/no magnet now in the lower center area. It makes the Apple leather wallet kinda scary to use.

I'm glad I have 2 other magsafe wallets from other companies with stronger magnets. I'll use those this year.

Jongstar

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
I'm glad I have 2 other magsafe wallets from other companies with stronger magnets. I'll use those this year.
Which wallets do you have? Also looking for an alternative, preferably one with the find my feature.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
My MagSafe wallet is so secure on my phone I was just wondering where’s my wallet? It really feels like part of the case.

Reactions: madrigal77

Jongstar

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
Did some more testing. I tried it with the Apple leather case and silicone case, both no real difference and still bad grip, similar to when attaching the wallet to naked phone.

I did notice a difference when putting 2 cards vs 3 cards in the wallet. Less cards seems to produce a better grip. Not entirely sure how that works but regardless, the fact that this wallet sticks so much better to for example an iphone 12, something must be off right?

Jongstar

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
I‘m having this issue With the ink wallet case. The magnets are weak on both the naked Deep Purple IPhone 14 Pro Max and the phone with apple leather case on. When I tried the case on my phone in store last week, the magnets on the wallet were very strong, which is what prompted me to purchase the wallet. I’m going to swap it out tomorrow.
Did this fix it for you?

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Which wallets do you have? Also looking for an alternative, preferably one with the find my feature.
The 2 non-apple magsafe wallets do NOT have the Find My feature. I don't know of any wallets except the Apple wallet that does have Find My.

The 2 Wallets I have are below. Both can hold 4 cards (which is important to me), and both wallets make it easier to get cards in and out of the wallet.

- Popsocket Magsage wallet - I like this one because the magnets are super strong, and I can carry 4 cards. This wallet will not come off accidentally. In fact, even with the iphone 14 Pro, the bottom end does not sway. I cycle which sometimes gets the wallet very wet from sweat, so I use this wallet when I work out and don't want a leather wallet to get soaked. In fact I use it a lot for daily casual use.

- Distil Union, Wally Junior: This wallet also has stronger magnets than the Apple wallet, although not as strong as the Popsocket. It is leather and has a classier look than the Popsocket, closer to the Apple wallet. This wallet also make getting cards in and out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.