Mail and MS Exchange, or why is my iPhone smarter than my Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mdragoni1, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mdragoni1 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I posted something similar to this on Apple's discussion forum but really didn't receive any attention so I thought I would have better luck here.

With the iPhone's new exchange support, adding my university mail account was incredibly easy. Now, I can send and receive mail - this is a big deal since I could only receive before this. Yet, off-campus through Apple Mail I can only receive. The settings on the iPhone are so vague that it appears impossible to simply mimic them so I'm at a loss.

Thanks,

mdragoni1

2. portent macrumors 6502a

Apple cut a deal with Microsoft to allow the iPhone 2.0 to use Exchange. This is a pretty new deal...it was not in place back when Leopard was released. Full exchange support for Mail is one of the features coming in 10.6.

3. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Actually you can use Microsoft Exchange on a Mac.

If you Own a copy of Microsoft Entourage, click on Account settings under Entourage menu.

Set up an Exchange server account
    To set up an account with default settings on a server running Microsoft Exchange Server, use the Account Setup Assistant. The assistant uses your account ID, password, and domain to automatically detect the correct settings for your account. In addition to receiving your Exchange mail, all of your Contacts, Calendar items, notes, and tasks are synchronized with the Exchange server.
    1. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
    2. On the Exchange tab, click New.
    3. Follow the instructions in the Account Setup Assistant.
    To set up your account without the assistant, click Configure account manually.

Whenever your Macintosh computer is connected to a server running Microsoft Exchange Server, your e-mail messages, contacts, and Calendar items, and any other Exchange folders are synchronized. Your information is always up-to-date in Microsoft Entourage, on the Exchange server, and is available to any other Exchange products you use (for example, Microsoft Outlook on a Windows-based computer). Because these programs display and use information differently, your information may look different depending on which program you are using to view it.

E-mail messages
    Messages All Exchange mail folders, including subfolders, can be accessed by using Entourage and are continually synchronized with the Exchange server automatically. Depending on the network, new messages are either displayed automatically as they arrive or are displayed after Entourage completes a check for new messages on the server once every minute.

Although rules stored on the Exchange server will run, you cannot change or create new Exchange server-based rules by using Entourage. If you need to change a server-based rule using your Macintosh, you can use Microsoft Outlook Web Access if your Exchange administrator has enabled this feature. For more information, contact your Exchange administrator.

--Eric

4. mdragoni1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help,

I have tried Entourage and am unable to setup the account as an Exchange account. I guess I need to talk to IT. I can set it up as a POP account and IT has told me (before) that in order to send email I must find someway for it to authenticate. Entourage should do this, so I guess I'll give it a go tonight when I'm home and off of my university's server.

I still don't understand why Mail will send on campus but not off. I may have to start writing more emails on my phone :p.

I'll post here with my results, thanks again.

5. mdragoni1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Entourage not working

Entourage drops me about the same place as Apple Mail. I can receive easy enough but I can't send.

6. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Are you using wifi signal? Once outside of campus your laptop cannot connect to your ms server. Your cell phone uses satellite after it gets out of range of wi-fi network.

There is a difference.

Wireless Internet is just one of the services that wifi optionally supports. Wifi is a wireless communication standard used between computer devices to share files and resources. The wifi signal cannot travel long distances without loss of integrity, a wireless network commonly connects numerous computers within a commercial building. Personal digital assistants, cell phones, and other handheld electronics commonly have wifi ability built-in. This allows them to connect wirelessly to a wifi-enabled network to transfer files, access data, or surf the Internet.

You can also get Internet access through a wireless carrier such as At&t or Verizon. But that's kind of pricey. Probably around $50 per month or thereabouts.

One alternative is to buy a Blackberry Cell Phone and tether it to your Laptop through bluetooth and get internet on your laptop. The iPhone does not have this capability because Apple has internet tethering blocked on iPhone.

--Eric

7. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

afaik, I don't think official support for tethering is on the 3G phone but maybe someone will hack it in later? Or maybe not if they included a "counter" to that in the new device since people broke into the old one.

Can you tether the original through WiFi?

I know Windows Mobile devices can tether via WiFi with an app that makes the phone a "mobile hotspot" and you can even put WEP, WPA on it, etc. or just leave it open for the public. But Windows has this thing called "Internet Connection Sharing" built into the OS. The funny thing about this is that you don't even need a tethering plan because it just uses the data plan. heh

8. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Macs have had internet sharing built in for 17 years.

But the iPhone legally can't be tethered to any device.

Attached Files:

9. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

I meant to say Windows Mobile has internet sharing.

Internet sharing on the desktop is like a legacy feature residue from back in the days when that was the way to distribute network from one computer to another.

There is an embeded OS for phones called Windows Mobile that is like a small cousin of Windows Vista.