Mail app filters not working. Any idea on how to fix?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by network23, May 5, 2008.

1. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

My filters aren't working. I have maybe 25 different rules and even ones that are at the top of the list aren't doing what they are supposed to.

For instance, one of the first rules (and I've checked the ones that come before to make sure they aren't affecting the emails, even though you'll see in a moment how I know this isn't the case) looks for an email with a string in the "From" address. Then the rule does two things.

1. It sets the color of the email to blue
    2. Moves the email to an existing folder
    When I select all the emails in my Inbox and Apply the rules, the emails that match the rules are colored correctly, but they aren't moved. How can only half a rule work?:confused:

Also, when I *just* select one of the emails I *know* matches the filter and apply the rules to it, it is colored and moved as it is supposed to be.

Any ideas?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I recently started using Mail after many years of Eudora, anyhow...

Rules are setup for individual mail folders. If you have a bunch of rules, what about turning them all off (uncheck the boxes) on the Preference> Rules page, collect your mail, turn one on and run it to verify it's working and then add others and try them. The problem I see with this method is that it could be time consuming.

The other idea which I would hesitate to offer would be to pull out the com.apple.mail plist file from the Library>Preferences folder and place it somewhere else. (Keep it in case you want to put it back.) Then launch Mail and see if the problem continues. The bad thing I think is that you'll have to set up your mail servers again, and I'm really hoping the plist is not where your rules are kept, but if the the rules are still there, it might fix the problem.