Mail app wont remember Hotmail password?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sweener88, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Hi everyone!
    Im having an issue with Mail. Iv had it set up to receive my hotmail emails however after i upgraded to leopard it wont remember the password. ill type in the correct one and even check "remember this in keychain" yet 2 minutes - a few days later it will ask for it again. its incredibly annoying as sometimes it asks for it repeatedly every few minutes!

Any ideas?:confused:

2. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I have 3 hotmail accounts and am having the same problem. I don't think it's a Snow Leopard problem as this just started happening a couple of weeks ago and I upgraded to SL as soon as it came out, hence more a problem with the Live service. Anyone have any ideas yet?

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Changing the frequency mail checks for new mail from 5 to 15 mins fixed it for me.

4. Aniday macrumors regular

Do you have to enter the password every 15 minutes? >_>

But yeah. I’ve had the same problem. It used to be where it would ask when I start up mail and it would remember it until I quit again... now it just randomly asks multiple times a day. Annoying as hell.

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I never have to enter my password anymore. As in it fixed the problem.

6. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

It's not a snow leopard problem, I haven't upgraded yet and I started getting this problem a few days ago. It's annoying as hell, but I don't really want to give up the 1-minute e-mail check frequency. It's nice to be able to get mails in almost real-time. But if the problem persists and there are no other options, I guess I'll have to go to 15 minutes.

7. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

I get that a lot myself, it's set to 1 minute check, for the same reason Macnoviz mentioned.

I sometimes get it with gmail as well..

btw leopard.

8. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Glad to know I'm not alone.

This just started happening to me and I can't seem to find a resolution anywhere.

Mail keeps reporting that the password is being rejected, though it is the correct password. My guess is that Mail is trying to provide the password before the server responds.

Any ideas?

9. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

My guess is that microshaft set their servers to reject mail calls more frequent than 15 minutes to reduce server traffic now that they allows free POP access for everyone.

10. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

would it be possible to adjust the e-mail check frequence for just the hotmail account without changing the other accounts?

11. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Having same problem. Will adjust mail frequency

12. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I'm using Mail and all I can find is a way to adjust the checking times for all the accounts (it's a global setting).

13. cowells macrumors newbie

Hi, same issue - changing to 15 mins solves it and another forum says that Apple are looking at the problem...

14. bunnyhero macrumors newbie

bunnyhero

my mail.app check mail frequency is set to 30 minutes, and i still get the issue once in a while :(

15. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

mine was adjusted to 15 and 30min and same problem on each. SO annoying lol especially when it asks you like SECONDS after you've just given it again!

16. madog macrumors 65816

madog

First, head into your applications/utilities folder and open up the Keychain.app. Find any Mail.app saved passwords related to your hotmail account and delete them and quit the app. Then, head into the Mail.app and retype the password in the account settings, exit that window and save your changes.

This is assuming it is a conflict issue with the password already saved in the Keychain.app, whether it was correct or not to begin with, and is the most likely cause.

17. jauntymcgoo macrumors newbie

Uncheck "Include when automatically checking ..."

I kept my global settings at 5 minutes, then click over to my hotmail account and unchecked the box marked "Include when automatically checking for new messages".

You have to hit "check mail" to get your hotmail, but it's a helluva lot better than having to input your password every time.

18. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

Da$%! It works. Finally... :eek:

19. jing.hao macrumors newbie

20. AgroSam macrumors newbie

21. Schipperenzot macrumors newbie

22. lozion macrumors regular

lozion

Yup, same here :mad:
    When will we get Active sync like on our iPhones? :confused:

23. Tapori macrumors newbie

Try this...

I was having the same sort of problem w/HOTMAIL accounts always get asked for passwords. If I went into Mail preferences it would not save the passwords. I checked out the keychain and it didn't have any of my mail passwords saved. Tried to enter them manually into keychain and it wouldn't work.

Then in the Keychain Access menu (top left next to the apple menu) there is a menu item called "Keychain First Aid". I ran this and everything is now working perfectly. Not getting asked for passwords anymore. Mail preferences remembers the passwords and keychain is storing them.

Hope this solves your problems!

24. Schipperenzot macrumors newbie

Thanks man!

Problem solved! :p

25. Schipperenzot macrumors newbie

I was wrong... He just asked it again!