Mail Notifier: push for almost any email account on iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by derek13, Sep 14, 2009.

1. derek13 macrumors regular

BLACK FRIDAY SALE: Current 50% OFF From $3.99 to $1.99
    Hurry up and get it before the deal is over! (if it still says $3.99 allow iTunes to update the price)

Get Mail Notifier

Also, check out the new Facebook Page: http://bit.ly/gPIer

Love the app? Become a fan! :)

Mail Notifier delivers push notifications for Hotmail, Gmail, AOL, and IMAP mail.

It is the first app to bring push Hotmail, IMAP, and AOL mail to the iPhone.

YouTube Demo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdHGCw9XvL4

Screenshots:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I am here to answer any questions you have about the app. :)

2. jmccray macrumors regular

promo codes

will beta testers get a promo code?

3. derek13 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, they will.

4. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

Will you be able to change the notification sound from the default SMS?

Also, for Gmail accounts, is the unread message count the number of threaded unread messages, or the total unread account? Example: two new messages until one thread would show as one unread message (which is what I'm looking for as that's how the Gmail webapp keeps track of unreads).

5. firedogut macrumors regular

any chances of few promo codes given to us who did not get in on the beta testing in time. :D

6. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

7. derek13 thread starter macrumors regular

There is no possibility of doing so in the first version. However, the ability to customize the notification sound is in development and will be available in the next update free of charge.

It currently shows the total unread count. We will look into adding it as an option to show the unread threads instead of unread messages.

8. derek13 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately not at this time.

9. derek13 thread starter macrumors regular

Yahoo support is in development right now. It will be available in a future update.

10. Zman3001 macrumors member

Derek, this was an awesome beta. I tracked it working sometimes faster than even my blackberry push! I see you've added some improvements like the badge number. Is there any chance that you could make the push alert to view open directly to the mail app? I'm glad this is coming out of beta now as I just got my 64 gig ipod touch with different UDID.

11. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I would love the option to open the mail app, or a direct link to gmail in safari from the mail notifier icon.

Great app, works very fast.

12. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

I wanted this also and asked him this exact question during the beta. Derek told me that its not possible because Apple doesn't give developers access to launch the Mail app (and other default apps im sure) in the iPhone SDK.

13. kicko macrumors 65816

Even if you cant access the native mail app, launching a web-link would be pretty cool.

14. marcmarcdv macrumors regular

help with this

whats the app called? and when will it be out?

15. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

I've beta tested this app and it's amazing! I had GPush but will use this instead. The badge automatically updates even when the message has been read! That's something GPush doesn't do and they claim it's not possible. Works every single time with this app :)

It would be great to choose a sound that isn't the sms sound.

Glad I could help and beta test this app. It's definitely worth the price.

16. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Cool

I will absolutely purchase this utility as soon as it's out. Of course I just bought gpush 2-3 days ago (new iPhone). I love having the notification for gmail - and can't wait to have it for hotmail as well too.

Hope it does not take too long to get approved.

17. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Speaking of Hotmail, my school uses Hotmail for student email, but it's not an @hotmail name but uses msn live servers. Would that still work? Also, what about an option to open up something like mBox Mail, which is what I use to read hotmail?

Sounds like a nice program, too.

18. bassguy macrumors newbie

This was a really well done beta test. Was expecting some glitches here and there but you did a really good job getting this together.
    Different alert sounds would be great down the line. A toggle off through the app would be great as well. If apple would allow the auto mail open it'd be perfect. Look forward to see what things you do next.

19. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I notice a bug for hotmail registration. If I add a hotmail account, the app will display a badge of unread emails eventhough I don't have any in that hotmail account. Even if I log into that account, Mail Notifier will not update the badge count eventhough I don't have unread emails in the first place. Normally this will work for other aol/gmails accounts, ie: badge updates itself once said unread emails are read.

EDIT: The only to hide this is to go into Setting>Notification>Mail Notifier>Badges and deactivate badge update.

20. kicko macrumors 65816

I noticed this too on my hotmail account. If i disable to badge notifications when none are shown, and then enable my hotmail a badge will still appear. Works fine for Gmail.

21. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Perhaps the released or future version will correct this.

22. erasat macrumors member

So far it's working great for Gmail and Hotmail, I don't have the Badge issue mentioned above.

BUT, after testing it today I realized that having one app that Notify me of emails in 2 separate email accounts, should at least identify which email is pushing the email, I mean, to test it I sent an email to gmail and hotmail, it arrived almost immediately to both accounts, but I noticed that the Notification window didn't mention the account it was for. Then I continued receiving regular mails through the day, and then I didn't know again to which account it was for. In my case, I use mBox to get my Hotmail emails, so by nature I need to open it to see if it has new emails, and I use the regular mail account in iPhone to get Gmail emails, that since I was using Gpush before this app, it was set to Manual instead of fetch what it means that I need to open the Mail app also in order to see if it has new mails.

What do I want?, something that can tell me, at least in the alert message, the account that just pushed, OR, maybe, you can use the actual APP interface to do it, right now when you open it it goes directly to show the accounts you have set up, maybe in that screen you can use some kind of badge to show the email counts, although I prefer that the Alert message shows the Account name somewhere.

23. marcmarcdv macrumors regular

When will this be avaible for us to downloand? and whats it called

24. derek13 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you using POP3 to get your hotmail or an app like mboxmail?

Unfortunately, hotmail's POP3 servers do not mark the emails unread when they are retrieved.

25. derek13 thread starter macrumors regular

We updated the code in the server and it now shows which account the push notification is for when you have multiple accounts.