Mail on MacBook, very disappointed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AnnaCody, Aug 25, 2010.

1. AnnaCody macrumors regular

AnnaCody

What a JOKE....OK...now that I have that off my chest....I searched for better email programs for MAC on this forum....downloaded Sea Monkey.

It looks pretty good but what's with HTML no longer capitalizing the 'i's' and the first word of each sentence??

I've been using Outlook since 2001...I think it's the 2000 version. I tried the new Office XP a year or so ago and it didn't capitalize either. Is that not done anymore in any programs? Ooooh, I'm really going to miss that.

Does the new Outlook format the i's and the first letter of sentences? I haven't looked at iCal yet or the Contacts. So far I'm NOT impressed and very surprised that MAC would provide such a truncated email program.

Anna

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What is it about Mail that you don't like? In the vast majority of cases where a new Mac user is not happy with an app, it's due to some misunderstanding of how to configure or use the app. I'm not saying that's the case here, but perhaps you could describe the problem with Mail.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

For the record, your ignorance is immediately apparent by your capitalization of "Mac" as though you believed it was an acronym. As well, you confuse Mac OS [the operating system] for Apple [the company].

Secondly, what issues are you having with Mail?

4. waynechriss macrumors regular

I don't use iMail because its so slow to sync (both the backlog and new mail). I use the desktop wigit for gmail and its much better. Even though its not a email client its good for notifications and has a button to jump right into the email browser.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Oh yeah? Do you sync iMail from your M.A.C. to your iTouch?

But seriously, I'm thinking your settings were also a mess. I use three Gmail accounts in Mail (I don't know what iMail is) and they pull messages from the server as fast as my iPhone: instantly.

It's easy to confuse the mail "on my mac" with the mail in the Gmail server. Perhaps you were checking your Server inbox, which would be slow to update. The On-My-Mac inbox updates and downloads instantly.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It seems to me that your problem with Mail stems from the fact that you've been using Outlook for a very long time. You have to remember that Outlook is a suite (email, calendar, address Book) while Mail.app is just email.

Also, you can just get Office 2008 for the mac (2011 is coming later) as from what you wrote it seems you're coming from Windows.

[EDIT] Doh, I didn't realize 2008 had Entourage (NOT Outlook). It seems to get Outlook you'll have to wait for Office 2011.

7. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

I'm right there with you AnnaCody....whenever I go back to work I just sink in to a heavenly bliss working with Outlook on my Windows XP computer.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes, it does, as does Entourage 2008. What problems are you having with Mail? You might try ThunderBird over SeaMonkey.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Funny, I hate Outlook at work because it is so much slower than Mail on my Mac at home.

HTML doesn't capitalize the first letter in sentences nor the word "I" because that is a function of a text editor. Outlook will let you edit in Word, but that really hurts performance. On a Mac you can certainly edit in any word processor you want, select the text, and do Services->New Email from Selection.

10. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Acronym, actually. An anagram is a different beast entirely.

Takes nothing away from your point about MAC, though.

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Shart, I didn't stop for a moment to think about that one. Was too preoccupied remembering acronyms vs. initialisms -.-'

12. Mahshall macrumors member

Maybe "MAC" isn't for you.

Why not go back to using Outlook from 2001 on a Windows based machine? Another option would be to develop an application similar to Outlook that capitalizes the "i's" for you.

13. jms969 macrumors 6502

Purchase OFM 2011 at the end of October, Outlook works very well...

14. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Goodness...I surely do appreciate the quick replies.

I am coming from Windows..used since 1998 so this is all new to me. I switched because I knew W7 would be just enough different that I'd be frustrated with expecting it to be the same. But I have to admit I'm feeling some of that frustration now too. So I keep saying STOP THAT to myself.

OK here's what I'm missing with Mail and I am hoping as you say I just haven't figured it out yet. My server is Verizon if that makes a difference.

1) folders, Outlook lets me set up folders and when emails come in they go directly to each specified folder for that particular person or group.
    2) HTML in the body of the emails that I send, I guess just the capitalization I already mentioned.

Those are the major ones. I do have iWork installed but haven't activated it yet so will that do the editing like I had in my Outlook email?

And you're right...I do miss the Outlook suite...but am willing to do without it if I can get something close on the MacBook. If I buy the OFM 2011, I’m presuming I’d have to install Windows…or not?

Thank you for the terminology lesson....I do get confused although the sale of some of my APPL stock bought this baby for me:D so I should know the difference.

And thank you for the commiseration macjonny1, nice to know I’m not the only one.

AC 180

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I hope you got a good price for your APPELL PETE CORP (Public, PINK:APPL) stock!
    I don't think it has performed quite as well as Apple Inc. (Public, NASDAQ:AAPL) stock!

I just couldn't resist! :D

16. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Hahaha, sheesh, I just can't get a break over here. I kept getting that confused too, thankfully, not when I bought it at 80 and sold it at 270:p

AnnaC

17. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I used Windows for 12 years and could still never figure it out. Jumped onto the Apple bandwagon two-years ago and now I'm a pro. Not just at the system, but at computers! MacOS X has enabled me to do so much more.

Firstly, just forget everything that you learned from Windows and let everything come naturally. Mac OS X works as a human-being expects it to work. I know that when I came from the Windows world, a human-friendly system sounded crazy, but you get used to it.

Gmail lets you use folders. You can access your Gmail Folders from Mail. I recommend setting the folders up in the browser, first.

In Mail, you have the Inbox. The Inbox are messages that have been automatically downloaded to your Mac from Gmail. Under that are the actual folders that Gmail keeps on the Gmail server. Here are my Gmail servers:

[​IMG]

Verizon is your provider, not your server. The server is that computer thousands of miles away where your messages on Gmail are currently stored.

They make a version of Office for Mac. It typically has more features than Windows' version, even!

If you can't get a hand of Mail, just buy Office and it will seem more familiar. For now, you should try to forget everything and start anew. Mac OS X can confuse people after they've been scarred by Windows. It's really meant to be used by people that have no prior experience, because it's designed to be natural to use. Mac OS X is based on drag-and-drop, point-and-click. As a matter of fact, Apple founded these principals in the 80's XD

You can begin by forgetting about "activation" and "keys." When you start iWork, it just starts and asks if you'd like to register it in your name. If you choose not to... it forgets all about it. No activation or keys to enter.

I'm soez jelluz that you got your hands on that stock. I was waiting for it to hit $79 before I would buy $5,000 worth. I didn't have internet, that day... that one day... -.-'

18. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

1. Mail calls these 'Mailboxes'. Select Mailbox > New Mailbox. Next go into Preferences and create a rule 'From this user, goes to this Mailbox' etc.
    Easy.

2. HTML has nothing to do with the capitalization issue. Open the System Preferences on your Mac, and select Language and Text. Click the 'Text' heading. Add a new substitution Replace i with I. Go back to Mail, compose a new email. From the menu bar along the top of the screen, choose Edit > Substitutions > Text Replacement. Now the i at the start of the sentence will be replaced with I.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I still haven't sold mine. I got most of in in 2006, between 58-67/share, then added over time as it dropped. It's a nice volatile stock with lots of great buying opportunities.

20. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I agree with what you have to say. I thought I was doing something wrong when I first got my iMac because the functions seemed too easy. I was trained to try to find a different way. What a concept of installation...drag to your applications folder.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mail > Preferences > General > Check for new mail: Every minute

22. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I notice most people have an anxiety, at first, because things really are so simple! It confuses the hell out of them!

As for myself, it was a major relief. My first thought was, "It gets me..."

23. AnnaCody thread starter macrumors regular

AnnaCody

Wow, some really good help here, can't wait to dig in....you're right, I was expecting it to be more complicated. I seriously was figuring out what the 15% restocking fee would be and how many more days before I had to get it returned.

Now I'm really excited....I probably will buy the new Office but in the meantime will get acquainted with all the apps and maybe spend that $200 on something else....like more stock, if it EVER goes down again...nice dip today for a millisecond :rolleyes:

Thank you all so much,
    Anna

24. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Each and every question you have about your new Mac, just do a search on these forums.

Go to Forums.Macrumors.com and do a search for whatever you need. Be certain you're not searching Macrumors.com, but the Forums.

If you don't find what you need, then just create a post in the appropriate forum.

Enjoy!!!

25. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

If you're used to google searches, you can use Mroogle for searching these forums. I just added the link to my signature.

From my search, Mail does not do automatic capitalization for first letters of sentences and lonely i's. I read that Entourage does, but with Outlook coming to the Mac platform with Office 2011, next month, you might as well wait for that.

There are some third-party apps that may work for what you need on a system-wide basis that you can search for. Personally, even though I only type with six fingers, I find it easy to capitalize on purpose. C'est la vie.