Mail on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anfield11, Apr 10, 2011.

1. anfield11 macrumors 6502

Is there anyway to set a password for it. Just for mail, not for the whole machine?

Thanks

2. Lifequest macrumors regular

Don't add the account to mail. Just bookmark/save to "desktop" a safari shortcut to the email host website. Drag the shortcut to the dock and access/login.

3. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will that cause any issues with the Mobile Me syncing? It's a Mobile Me account.

Thanks

4. Lifequest macrumors regular

Not entirely sure. I hope someone more knowledgeable about the matter will give some valuable input. Good luck!

5. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I don't think you can view MobileMe (me.com) on iOS. I think the only way to access it is via the Mail.app

Ams.

6. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

And no way to password protect it? Odd if not.

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

1. You would not want MobileMe to sync mail.

2. It is possible to use me.com on your iPad. However to do it you must use a browser other than safari. I use atomic browser and just went out to me.com without a problem.

8. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

i was looking for the same thing and you cannot PW protect it :(

what someone recommended which i did was buy atomic browser set it to private mode and i log in to gmail each time but when i exit out it exits of of gmail auto.

hope that helps

9. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

If you set up a mail account, you can make it inactive in settings>mail. After you make it inactive, go to settings>general>restrictions and enable restrictions by setting a passcode. Then, restrict modifications to mail accounts.

To check mail, go to restrictions, unrestricted modifications to mail accounts, then go to settings and activate the mail account. After checking your mail, make the account inactive then restrict modifications.

A bit tedious, but it works.

10. thejakill macrumors 6502

thejakill

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

What happens if he changes his email password in another machine and then opens mail on his ipad? Will it prompt the new password? That might work.

I do this to keep my iTunes password wrong so the kids can't use it. Whenever I want to download, it prompts me for the password.

11. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tedious is a good description :) .....but thanks for the advice. It's really odd that Apple wouldn't let you put a password on it.

12. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I use Apple's Mail account [and Mobile Me] across all my devices. The only place I have to use a password is when I access mail through the Mobile Me website. Under Mail Preferences > Accounts > Account Information > Incoming Mail Server, I have a password already entered. Would this be why it doesn't ask me for a password each time?

Is the solution to remove it there and then it will ask me each time?

Thanks again everyone.

13. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I bet it's one of the iOS 5 features: ability to password-protect any app.

14. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Now iOS 5 is out, is it a feature?