Mail outgoing issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by merbel, Jun 6, 2007.

1. merbel macrumors member

I have an odd problem. Have set up my mail and incoming is all fine. Have forwarded my bellsouth account to my macmail and all seems to be working well. But I have a problem with outgoing mail. Can send fine from .mac all the time and from mail directly from my computer if I am away from my home. But when I am home and try to send mail from my computer, it goes into the outbox and sits until I move to another location (i.e. work or another wireless network) and then the entire outbox will send. I have a wireless netgear setup at home I have never had a problem with prior to setting up macmail and others on the netork at home can send:confused:

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I get the exact same thing will BellSouth DSL. You are not the only one. Web-based interfaces work fine, but can't send through the Mail application unless I jump on my neighbor's wireless signal from his Charter cable modem.

Hopefully someone will know what's going on.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is an interesting one. Sounds to me like the problem is location-related. Check your location settings in System Preferences, as well as your Mail server settings while at home. If these look alright, then the two most likely causes are that the server you are trying to use for sending mail from home is down, or an external network problem makes the server unreachable (your other computers are probably using different mail servers than you are, which explains why those work perfectly).

4. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

merbel,

Your router might stop all traffic on certain ports and it might restrict the port that Mail is using for your email. If this is occurring then you should should open the ports (which would be within your routers preferences somewhere) to let the traffic on your email port to go through.

-GodBless

5. merbel thread starter macrumors member

I am sending with this same setup fine with my old PC. Only with Mac does the problem occur:confused:

6. merbel thread starter macrumors member

Yes, odd. And I was told by one of the Mac trainers on a one on one that I would have the opposite problem, could send at home but perhaps not away from home.
    If I fire up my old PC, I can send mail without problem so seem to be something in the setup of mail in the macmail app on the my laptop.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Please don't post multiple threads on the same subject. There is another thread in Applications, which I think is more appropriate given the nature of the issue.

8. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

What kind of mail account is it? Some ISPs block the SMTP port 25 (outgoing) but email services such as .Mac and GMail use an alternate port to get around this.

9. merbel thread starter macrumors member

Sorry-being new to the board, wasn't sure where this should post!:(

10. merbel thread starter macrumors member

Bellsouth
    Had a response that the another user with bellsouth that had the same issue-had to jump to his neighbor's wireless to send his mail from his computer

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

for me when i have e-mails of 3MB and more they sit for 20 min in the outbox and the suddely get sent. i think it's more a .mac issue. it's just slow to upload. did you give it 20 min? and how large are your mails?

12. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

13. merbel thread starter macrumors member

No, they never send. Sit in outbox and when I get somewhere else, send immediately. Sends fine if I send from .mac, just not from mail directely from my computer.

14. merbel thread starter macrumors member

Hanschien,
    Thanks-that looks promising. I will change the port when I get home and give it a try!

15. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Thanks for the link! That might fix a problem my boss is having. But a question: it's a .Mac specific fix. Will port 587 only working for sending .Mac email, or will that port work for other email? Her ISP at home won't allow for sending mail through a different, authenticated SMTP server. Just wondering which port I should have her use.

16. merbel thread starter macrumors member

Hanschien
    Thanks so much. Solved my problem. Now on to fix .mac where I am having a bevy of mail problems.
    great advice!

17. merbel thread starter macrumors member

.mac issues-mail

Yesterday I went on .mac to check my mail and had all kinds of problems. Would not let me check, then I could see the mail but not open, lots of error messges. Today all is well. Had this happen before and wonder if this is typical. I am just switching to mac and trying to convert to macmail but this is making it difficult as I often am at another computer at work and do not have the option to check mail on my own computer. Trying to get away from bellsouth webmail but wonder if this is an isolated or recurring problem. Also wonder, is it me and something in my setup or the main system.
    Thanks!

18. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

.Mac sometimes has weird problems with its mail system. Usually, there isn't anything you can do since the cause isn't on your end. I know, it's a royal pain... one of the reasons I'm leaving .Mac behind as of January 2008.

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Lemme just clarify, do you mean you're trying to access dotmac's webmail? As in this site, and it's giving you troubles?

Unfortunately, you'll find on MR that dotmac's reliability is pretty spotty overall.

There's nothing wrong w/ using other webmail services, BTW. :) A lot of folks love gmail 'round these parts, especially as it's free and allows for attachments up to 20MB and offers free storage ~2GB.

20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i found mail quite unreliable in the past few month. and it got worse.

there are a lot of cases where mail or .mac is officially down and that's also shown on the .mac site.

then there are a lot of problems with mail being slow to upload messages from my computer. or it's slow using the webinterface. sometimes i rcieve mails 20 min later in .mac then on my companies account. i have even lost/never recieved some mails. all in all quite annoying.

i hope this is a sign that they revamp the whole .mac site and therefore some servers are down.

they also need to increase storage, bandwith and the 10MB limit per mail. i would even pay for an upgrade to 2GB or more. I just can't understand why i can upload 300 MB to flickr.com in minutes while uploading a 5MB email to .mac takes 20 min. same for idisk (although some people here said that is a finder problem, not idisk).

21. merbel thread starter macrumors member

Well, this is discouraging. I do not like bellsouth's webmail and like the macmail interface. But I don't thnk I can deal with all the other issues.
    I'll keep monitoring and know I always can go and check my mail at my bellsouth site.

22. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

You might want to check the FAQ/support pages of your email provider. I know gMail uses port 587 also.

23. merbel thread starter macrumors member

Just tried again and they are down. Is this an unual thing or something that happens daily? How can they expect anyone to successfully use macmail? No wonder I don't notice anyone out there using a .mac account for their emai!:mad:

24. merbel thread starter macrumors member

continuing mail problems

Mail working fine when I am on my mac but when I go to .mac from my computer or another, keep getting error messages.Current one is "your information cannot be displayed, click here to try again". I click and same thing. Then when it finally displays, if i click on a message or folder, tells me has moved or been deleted though I know it has not. Crazy

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I just merged a bunch of similar threads; please start only one.