Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
I just spontaneously received 2 Apple Watches (Series 4) in the mail. They appear to be sent directly from Apple, and they are addressed to my name and address. I didn't order them, and I've checked my bank statements and whatnot to confirm that I was never charged for them. They also don't show up in my Apple order history.

Does anybody have any idea what might be going on? Are the Apple police going to arrive at my house and make me send them back? Asking you guys because there's no way I'm asking Apple about it...

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
You should check your credit reports. To verify someone hasn't created a new account in your name.
Thanks for the advice. I checked and it's all good. Even if this had happened I'm not sure why they'd want to mail it to me.

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
That sounds odd.

Nobody at your house ordered them?

What about someone doing it through apple for your carrier?

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I just spontaneously received 2 Apple Watches (Series 4) in the mail. They appear to be sent directly from Apple, and they are addressed to my name and address. I didn't order them, and I've checked my bank statements and whatnot to confirm that I was never charged for them. They also don't show up in my Apple order history.

Does anybody have any idea what might be going on? Are the Apple police going to arrive at my house and make me send them back? Asking you guys because there's no way I'm asking Apple about it...

Don't know what happened, but if/when you find out, let us know here so we can enjoy this little perk also!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I would be wary. I don't know about legislation in your area, but where I live, if you recieve a product that you know is not meant for you (or should logically be able to work out is not for you), taking the product and using it as if it were meant for you is akin to theft - though paying for the goods is often good enough to settle the deal. You are not necessarily obligated to send them back yourself, but you're not allowed to use them. You should wait until contacted and then give them back - There is a limitation to how long this can take, but I think it's like a year or two.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
I still have no idea what's going on, but hey I'm not complaining! There is no packing slip or any sort of information. Just the watches. They are both the GPS + Cellular models so that's nice.
[doublepost=1551737832][/doublepost]
If you are in the US. As far as I can tell. You can keep them and not have to pay for them.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

Screwing up when setting up billing vs shipping info. That's how a family member found out someone created a card in their name.
Thanks for the info! Hm if they end up contacting me I don't want to get on their bad side but I also don't want to forfeit two $529 watches. I wonder if they would "ban" me in some way.

Last edited:

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I am not sure I understand the full contours of this scam, but also make sure they were not ordered using your cell phone plan account. It is possible to order iPhones and watches using your verizon/att account plan, and those are easy to spoof and hack and there aren't really controls on what can be ordered. Why they ship to the users address is a mystery to me, but we have seen that issue before.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
I am not sure I understand the full contours of this scam, but also make sure they were not ordered using your cell phone plan account. It is possible to order iPhones and watches using your verizon/att account plan, and those are easy to spoof and hack and there aren't really controls on what can be ordered. Why they ship to the users address is a mystery to me, but we have seen that issue before.
Thanks for the info. That doesn't appear to have happened either. When I look up the serial numbers Apple's website tells me "We’re unable to display coverage details because your device hasn’t been registered. Please contact your Apple product retailer or your wireless carrier to register this device."

kenm22

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014

Forgetting about the legal aspect of this, the morally right thing to do is to contact Apple. I guess we'll find out about your morals...that is if you care to share with us what you decide to do.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Keeping the watches is a bad idea, even if that’s what the OP decides to do, that’s their prerogative. I certainly would not keep them, somehow A mistake was made, if anything, you could turn them over to local law-enforcement for ‘found property’ as another option, being they were never really intended to begin with you in the first place. But this is just how I would handle the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: yui4 and Jessica08

JWGold

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
United States
There’s a form of identity theft scam where a thief will steal your details and identity to open a credit account in your name and have items sent, hoping to intercept them off your porch before you do. They won’t show up on your bank statements or credit card statements, because they are not accounts that you opened. In some cases, the only way you will eventually find out is when the unpaid accounts go to collections and your credit score starts to suffer.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As the above poster mentioned, I’m not convinced that this is not some type of security breach with the OP‘s personal information. If I had to make an educated guess (I also used to work in Loss Prevention for years with these types of cases), I would say JWGold is correct, that somehow an account was opened in the OP’s name, they are not aware of it _yet_, but they will be when their credit store starts to drop When the balance goes unpaid for these watches. Security/financial fraud happens *every* single day to people that unsuspectedly have no idea how and when it happened, and I truly believe this might be a case right here in this very thread.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Morally, we know what the 'right' thing to do it. Although it seems the OP has already made his mind up about 'forfeiting' the Apple watches..... although he's not really forfeiting anything, since they do not belong to him in the first instance.

Thanks for the info! Hm if they end up contacting me I don't want to get on their bad side but I also don't want to forfeit two $529 watches. I wonder if they would "ban" me in some way.

Even so, to protect your credit secure and your identity from identity theft if anything else, its best to contact Apple. Just air on the side of caution.....

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Even so, to protect your credit secure and your identity from identity theft if anything else, its best to contact Apple. Just air on the side of caution.....
This.
Personally, I wouldn't be looking at this as some sort of accidental good luck and bask in the the excitement of 2 "free" watches. I'd be more worried about why this "luck" happened to me and the very real possibility of some type of scam or identity theft. But that's just me.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
This.
Personally, I wouldn't be looking at this as some sort of accidental good luck and bask in the the excitement of 2 "free" watches. I'd be more worried about why this "luck" happened to me and the very real possibility of some type of scam or identity theft. But that's just me.

100% agreed.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
100% agreed.

200% agree! Things like this just don't happen! I'd put money on the fact that someone has probably cloned your card/details/identity and more than likely ordered the watches on the intention of intercepting them before they were delivered to your door.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
200% agree! Things like this just don't happen! I'd put money on the fact that someone has probably cloned your card/details/identity and more than likely ordered the watches on the intention of intercepting them before they were delivered to your door.

300% agree.
Definitely something dodgy going on.
And don't expect Apple to let you keep a unit out of goodwill either! Those days are long gone! lol

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
There’s a form of identity theft scam where a thief will steal your details and identity to open a credit account in your name and have items sent, hoping to intercept them off your porch before you do. They won’t show up on your bank statements or credit card statements, because they are not accounts that you opened. In some cases, the only way you will eventually find out is when the unpaid accounts go to collections and your credit score starts to suffer.
Morally, we know what the 'right' thing to do it. Although it seems the OP has already made his mind up about 'forfeiting' the Apple watches..... although he's not really forfeiting anything, since they do not belong to him in the first instance.

This.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have already checked my credit report to verify that this is not the case.
[doublepost=1551791036][/doublepost]

Well... that is debatable considering that they literally had my name on them and that the FTC says they're legally mine. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.