Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ty7u5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
In my opinion, I feel as though the iPhone 5/6 is going to be a blowout update...I was wanting to get others views on what they think.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Define blowout. If the 4S had come with a 3.7" screen and teardrop case, but an A4 processor, 5MP camera, 32GB max, and no Siri many here would have considered that a "Major" update. As it is, even though processor, memory, interface, antenna, and camera are all updated - because it doesn't look different, the 4S seems to be though of by some as a "tweak".

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Define blowout. If the 4S had come with a 3.7" screen and teardrop case, but an A4 processor, 5MP camera, 32GB max, and no Siri many here would have considered that a "Major" update. As it is, even though processor, memory, interface, antenna, and camera are all updated - because it doesn't look different, the 4S seems to be though of by some as a "tweak".

So true! Lol.

This is how most of the MacRumors users views it:

Major = new design
Minor = internal updates

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
On a scale of one to ten, I'd say the iPhone 5 (at least how I understand it now) is going to be an update with a magnitude of about 4. But that's just me.

P.S. That's with ten being the biggest update imagineable.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
In my opinion, I feel as though the iPhone 5/6 is going to be a blowout update...I was wanting to get others views on what they think.

ok, why do you feel that its going to be a blowout update?

If you wan to have a discussion, give us your perspective.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
I definitely believe that it'll be an exterior change, but as for HUGE.... probably not, even though people will say its huge because it will most likely look different.

I'd say:

LTE (Maybe... they wont put one out until they have a battery that can handle it)
NFC (Also a maybe as if my phone had it, i would have absolutely nowhere to use it)
And maybe see A6

If they do a bigger screen i don't think it'll be bigger than 4" and i don't think they will try and up the resolution at all (unless that's necessary for a bigger screen, i'm no expert) its already so crisp.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I would consider this to be a blowout update:

4" retina display
4G LTE
NFC/iTunes payment integration
A6 quad core chip with even better graphics
1gb memory
12mp camera with a huge lense
3-5mp front camera
Longer battery life
Thinner design
Improved antenna
Significantly enhanced Siri
Facetime over 4G

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle

4" retina display
4G LTE
1gb memory
3-5mp front camera
Longer battery life
Thinner design
Improved antenna
Facetime over 4G

And all in a thinner design?

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
ok, why do you feel that its going to be a blowout update?

If you wan to have a discussion, give us your perspective.

I know right? :rolleyes:

I mean hell... I could simply come on the forum and start a thread:

"I DONT think the next iPhone will be a major update"

So you do and I don't... now what? :confused:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Depends on what you think is a "blowout". I personally felt the 4 was the biggest thing since the original (2G). Didn't keep me from buying every one of them though. At the resell value, I either break even or make money. No sense not to upgrade in my eyes.

The trouble is I don't even know what to wish for in terms of updates. Probably see quad-core. Probably see more ram (was shocked to see only 512mb in the 4S to be honest). Outside of that, what is there? The camera, for a smartphone, is fine on the 4, and even better on the 4S. I guess maybe NFC (I don't care about this much). Bigger screen? I'd love that, however there are many skeptics saying that it would fragment the appstore (I am sure scaling can be figured out but I am not much of a programmer so...) I suppose it COULD be thinner (especially compared to other phones like the moto droid razr). LTE? personally could care less.

I think Apple did a SOLID job with the iPhone 4. Right now there aren't a whole number of things that could use updating.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
All b.s. aside, I am passing up the 4s in anticipation of the iPhone5 having a slightly larger screen. Other than that, I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 4 and the added features of the 4s will be a bonus in the new body style... but I'm not taking a hit to upgrade early to 4s, I've only had my 4 since February and can't upgrade until late next fall.:p

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Canada
Depends on what you think is a "blowout". I personally felt the 4 was the biggest thing since the original (2G). Didn't keep me from buying every one of them though. At the resell value, I either break even or make money. No sense not to upgrade in my eyes.

The trouble is I don't even know what to wish for in terms of updates. Probably see quad-core. Probably see more ram (was shocked to see only 512mb in the 4S to be honest). Outside of that, what is there? The camera, for a smartphone, is fine on the 4, and even better on the 4S. I guess maybe NFC (I don't care about this much). Bigger screen? I'd love that, however there are many skeptics saying that it would fragment the appstore (I am sure scaling can be figured out but I am not much of a programmer so...) I suppose it COULD be thinner (especially compared to other phones like the moto droid razr). LTE? personally could care less.

I think Apple did a SOLID job with the iPhone 4. Right now there aren't a whole number of things that could use updating.

Totally agree with you here. I have a 4 and am eligible for an upgrade next fall. Will I get the iPhone 5/6 then? I have small hands, so a bigger screen is more uncomfortable. Quad-core is definitely nice! But a dual-core processor would be an upgrade for me already... The only reason I would consider upgrading to the 5/6 is because of the camera. Other than that, I am considering upgrading to the 4S even if the iPhone 5/6 is already released.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
And all in a thinner design?

Well we went from huge bulky 10 key "mobile phones" to the slim wonders of today. Who knows what the future holds.

I am sure the older generation never thought today's phones would be a possibility. Let's not repeat the same mistake. Although given history, humans don't really learn much from it.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Totally agree with you here. I have a 4 and am eligible for an upgrade next fall. Will I get the iPhone 5/6 then? I have small hands, so a bigger screen is more uncomfortable. Quad-core is definitely nice! But a dual-core processor would be an upgrade for me already... The only reason I would consider upgrading to the 5/6 is because of the camera. Other than that, I am considering upgrading to the 4S even if the iPhone 5/6 is already released.

I'm sure many would give the 4s a miss and go straight for the 5 if it was released !

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
The current iPad (which we finally have 2x resolution Apps stabilizing) at 1024 x 768 is 132 DPI. This far from retina. People are speculating that the iPad 3 will be retina with 2048 x 1536 and would require an 8" screen to match pixel density and exceed 300 DPI.

Due to efficiencies when coding and building Apps for all devices we use the moniker 2x.png to represent retina ready Apps. Generally the ratios must be maintained to avoid fragmentation like in Android.

Long story short is that Apple will choose a 3.8" screen for the next iPhone in order to utilize vertical pixel approximating the current iPad, not a huge leap but look how great the iPhone 4 display looks; we're simply trying to add screen size without taxing devs.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009

you are missing the point that updates to the processor, memory and especially the antenna are NOT what users were excited for.

Those are all great updates and upgrades. No one denies that. But 4G and a bigger screen were probably the most hyped elements, and the elements most people wanted in the "5".

Say whatever you want about the 4S. I don't disagree with you. 4S is great, just as my 3GS was a great improvement over the 3G.

The thing is, the 4 did a good enough job in all of those areas the 4S improves on. If the 4 was really lacking in an area like processor speed, and the 4S dramatically improved upon it--wherein Ux was significantly improved--then it would have been a different story. My 3GS was almost twice as fast as the 3Gs I compared it to in the store. But the 4 was already fast, and already great--despite the 4S being faster.

What the 4 AND 4S lack is 4G and a bigger screen. And for those that keep arguing "I don't want a bigger screen" or "it's not necessary": don't worry, your tune will change soon enough to "Apple revolutionized screens" once Apple implements it.

And IIRC, there was a rumor that the 4S wasn't even the phone Jobs was working on before he passed. If that is true, then the 4S really was just a placeholder for Apple, despite its improvements and greatness.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011

That's because for the average person, the faster processor will yield very few benefits as they didn't consider the iPhone 4 to be lacking in speed. Most people found the camera on the 4 to be seviceable, and besides there isn't a mind blowing difference between the 4s' camera and the 4's. The 64gb size won't effect the average person because the average person will not purchase that size. The average person doesn't care about antennae as they expect a phone to be able to be a phone. All in all the only tangible benefit of the 4s over the 4 for the average person is Siri. That is why a lot of people's response to the 4s was so ho-hum. Had they left the internals the same and increased the screen size and gave it a new form factor, people would have been excited because for the average person, that would have been a tangible benefit.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
I'm all for the same form factor for the iPhone 5. All I want is the ability to use true 4G LTE. The rest of the internal things I can take or leave, it's more about having a phone that will actually take advantage of the technology.

That being said, if I switched from Sprint to AT&T sooner rather than later, I'd be pretty happy with the 4S because it uses HSPA+ which is plenty fast for what would be my lame 2GB data plan.

I use an unlimited plan with Sprint right now but I barely use more than 250 MB per month on my Crackberry. I obviously anticipate using more with an iPhone but I know I'd probably be okay with 250.

For what it's worth, first releases usually have some type of issue in any type of new technology. Vista? Windows ME? Even the iPhone 4, and a bunch of new model design automobiles.

The 4S is built on tried-and-true technology from the 4. I'm happy with that form factor, it's a matter of LTE or not for me.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

If Apple does NOT step up and make big changes they will continue to lose customers to ANDROID and even WINDOWS:p

But at the same time they will piss off their loyal customer base if the do make big changes.

They need to make two devices, one with the same tiny screen for the hard core and then the really improved phone for those who want it!:p

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009

4" retina display
4G LTE
1gb memory
3-5mp front camera
Longer battery life
Thinner design
Improved antenna
Facetime over 4G

Group FaceTime

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Apple will do away with any sort of keyboard facility and instead incorporate a touchpad on the bottom half of the screen through which you can "swipe" all the letters of the alphabet plus numbers and emoticons by simply memorizing 9.9.9. gestures. :D

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
As much as I'd love all the new hardware changes people speak of... iOS 6 is what will make it or break it.

All of the stock apps that haven't changed since launch, need to be changed for once. And there needs to be a host of other changes.

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Not so sure about a larger screen. Apple has done a TON of research that shows the screen size is spot on. Why? You can "one hand" type and txt by using only your thumb and reach all the screen. I think that if it got "android big" you'd need two hands to type/txt.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.:rolleyes:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
NJFP said:
Not so sure about a larger screen. Apple has done a TON of research that shows the screen size is spot on. Why? You can "one hand" type and txt by using only your thumb and reach all the screen. I think that if it got "android big" you'd need two hands to type/txt. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.:rolleyes:

This. But I think it will be going larger, 4" screen, and I'm not looking forward to it. If it does, I'll likely continue to wait. Current 4 does so much so well, incredible screen, good CPU, 3-5mbps ATT 3G is practically broadband.

Might have to hold out till iOS 7 or 8 when they stop supporting the iPhone 4...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.