Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
I should specify that the only reason I sort of wish I'd stuck with the MB is financial. I don't think the 15" MBP is hard to carry around. Looking back now, it just seems that a MB would have suited me just as well, and why not save $300? When I bought the MBP, I reasoned that even though I am poor right now, I am getting substatial student loans, so it seemed like now would be the best time to get a super nice laptop, as opposed to right after college when I've got to start paying the loans back. And the larger screen, video card, and backlit keyboard are definitely nice. Just not "necessary." :)

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
katielb,

You don't need a $1500 computer. You want a $1500 computer. There's a huge difference. Mac or PC is irrelevant. If you're going to compete in the world, you need to be able to sit down at any computer and use it. They're different tools that do the same thing in very similar ways. Unless you're going into video or audio production, there is nothing unique to either platform as far as applications are concerned.

A $500 laptop with 512 megs running XP will work just fine for surfing the web, email, word processing, music, photos, IM, etc. I see a refurbished core duo with a dvd burner for $470 at tigerdirect. I know this is a mac board and all but Macs are expensive for what you get. They're great if you have surplus income but not so great for people on a budget.

Is OSX and a pretty package worth another thousand dollars? If you think it is and you're spending your own money (and not trading food for a fancy toy), go for it. If your parents are the ones footing the bill or spending an extra grand will significantly impact your budget, stick with what you need and save the want for a time when you have surplus income.

You say you'll be able to replace some of the money you spend before you head off to school. What about 6 months from now? Where's your money coming from in the future? Having an awesome computer and zero debt is nice. Having a decent computer and cash in your pocket is better.

If I were in the market for a new laptop, I'd get a macbook. But I have steady sources of income and enough extra cash to splurge a bit on luxury items. Back in my student days, price was everything and I calculated in food value. $25 = 1 week of decent food. Spend $100 on a motherboard and I'd have to stretch out the meager supplies in my pantry, bum food on my next trip home, skip pizza entirely for a month, bum rides whenever possible, etc. $5, no food, a quarter tank of gas, and 4 days to the next small paycheck sucks. :)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I think it really all depends on your wants to needs ratio. Like others have pointed out, what is your budget going to be? Are your parents paying for college? Are they going to be spending $800-1000 getting you a laptop anyways? If so, then why not offer to add some to that and buy what you want? A lot of this depends on your financial situation, and what you're going to be doing after you graduate.
I think your first step should be to go to an Apple store and look at all the models in person. You might discover that the mbp just isn't for you, or maybe you'll find that there's some characteristic of the mb you just can't stand. These kinds of things can help you eliminate options quickly.
If you are headed off to an Ivy league school, where student loans run upwards of $40,000 per year, just get yourself the mbp. $500 for four years compared to the thousands you're going to be paying for an education isn't a lot, and you might as well have something that will give you better performance.
If you are going to be going to a state school or something, where tuition is not in the thousands per unit, then you should take other things into consideration. Are you going to be commuting, dorming, what? Take all of these factors into account.
Lastly, if you are not going to be working during school, and will need to make regular purchases, then plan ahead. Just food and laundry can add up, so be sure to have that figured in when you assume that you have the money for a mbp.
Again, go to see them in person, and test drive them, kick the tires, etc. Only then will you have a better idea as to what you should get.

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
I just wanted to take the time out to thank everyone who has contributed their input to this thread! I love feedback and every bit of it means a lot. I'm always welcoming more! :)

When it comes to worrying about my parents, blowing my savings or not having anything to fall back on because of my purchase, I can guarantee you that I won't be in that situation. :) As I've said, I have a job, I am the one paying for this laptop by myself, and I have enough money already to (honestly) get whatever I decide on. :) I'm not worried about money at all. I know that I still have my graduation money, 2 more months or so of working and extra money left in my bank to fall back on if need be in college. Buying this future laptop - whatever it may be - won't be something to put me in danger in any way. I've gone through this entire thought process for almost a year now and it's finally about to take place and I couldn't be more excited.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
heres how i see it. i think the mb is a better buy than the mbp if you dont game or use intense graphics.

just some background on what i did. i am going to be a 5th year senior in mechanical engineering and my first 3 years i used a 1ghz emac and it was more than what i needed. last year i used a macbook and it was more than what i needed by alot. all the heavy computing i needed in my major required software i COULD NOT use on my computer and even if i could, the lab offered way more capable machines- as in top of line workstations.

however i currently have a mb cd with an external screen and i like this combo alot and the combo is cheaper than the mbp.

looking back on it, i still think that if you live on or near campus, you could easily get by without having a computer since there are many labs and in my case, labs open 24/7 so the question is now what you would like and purely a matter of preference.

if i had 5k to spend on a comp right now, id still opt for the mb as its cheaper and easier to justify getting than getting a mbp. but then again im the guy who decided to get a blackbook and pay a premium since i liked the look better so yea take it for what thats worth haha

whatever you decide on, it will last a couple of years easy

let us know what you decide on!

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
I was in the same boat 3 years ago, preparing for my first year at college. I ended up going the cheap way getting a $900 dell just prior to school. It was a nice machine for the first semester, then it went down hill. I had more problems then i've ever had, and it wasn't just me. Alot of my friends had the same model and we all had issues. Im not saying dells are crap, because i've had them before with out problems. Though finally last summer, the HD died again 3rd time. (all replaced by dell) It was getting slow, and it was just time to get a new one.

I was debating between a mbp and a mb. I ended up with the mbp. I mainly choose it for the screen size and the faster proc at the time. Now i've had it for almost a year now and I love, no issues and its running great. Although after this year with bringing it to classes and to the library alot more then i have ever in the past, wish i had the mb. The mb can withstand alot more abuse then the mbp, which dents and scratches quite easily. For college the stronger exterior is a major help.

I am currently a CIS major and i love this computer its amazing, and with parallels, i have various linux distros running along with windows for those times that its required for my course work. Which isnt that often, there are so many alternatives. Go with what is gonna make you happy and with what you think will last you long run.

Good luck in the fall, and enjoy it. It will be over faster then you ever think!

-Neal

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
When it comes to worrying about my parents, blowing my savings or not having anything to fall back on because of my purchase, I can guarantee you that I won't be in that situation. :) As I've said, I have a job, I am the one paying for this laptop by myself, and I have enough money already to (honestly) get whatever I decide on. :) I'm not worried about money at all. I know that I still have my graduation money, 2 more months or so of working and extra money left in my bank to fall back on if need be in college. Buying this future laptop - whatever it may be - won't be something to put me in danger in any way. I've gone through this entire thought process for almost a year now and it's finally about to take place and I couldn't be more excited.

If money is not a problem, then get the macbook pro. In the end, you'll enjoy it more. If you get the macbook, you might think about all the little features you're missing by not having bought the macbook pro. Since you have the money, buy and enjoy:)

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
looking back on it, i still think that if you live on or near campus, you could easily get by without having a computer since there are many labs and in my case, labs open 24/7 so the question is now what you would like and purely a matter of preference.

if i had 5k to spend on a comp right now, id still opt for the mb as its cheaper and easier to justify getting than getting a mbp. but then again im the guy who decided to get a blackbook and pay a premium since i liked the look better so yea take it for what thats worth haha

let us know what you decide on!

Thanks so much for your reply. :) The college I'm going to actually has computer labs (equipped with both PCs and Macs) that are open 24/7 as well. I think it'd be okay to use those... but my dorm building is actually the farthest one away from the labs. I just think I'm going to want a computer of my own to relax and do personal work with in my room whenever I can, you know? I will definitely let you know what I decide on! :) Everyone here has been so helpful and I can't wait to share my excitement and new purchase within the next month (hopefully)!

I was in the same boat 3 years ago, preparing for my first year at college. I ended up going the cheap way getting a $900 dell just prior to school. It was a nice machine for the first semester, then it went down hill. I had more problems then i've ever had, and it wasn't just me. Alot of my friends had the same model and we all had issues. Im not saying dells are crap, because i've had them before with out problems. Though finally last summer, the HD died again 3rd time. (all replaced by dell) It was getting slow, and it was just time to get a new one.

I was debating between a mbp and a mb. I ended up with the mbp. I mainly choose it for the screen size and the faster proc at the time. Now i've had it for almost a year now and I love, no issues and its running great. Although after this year with bringing it to classes and to the library alot more then i have ever in the past, wish i had the mb. The mb can withstand alot more abuse then the mbp, which dents and scratches quite easily. For college the stronger exterior is a major help.

I am currently a CIS major and i love this computer its amazing, and with parallels, i have various linux distros running along with windows for those times that its required for my course work. Which isnt that often, there are so many alternatives. Go with what is gonna make you happy and with what you think will last you long run.

Good luck in the fall, and enjoy it. It will be over faster then you ever think!

-Neal

It's good to be reminded of the MBP's exterior - I believe the Macbook is stronger as well. But, Neal, I just wanted to thank you personally for this uplifting and motivating reply! It makes me more satisfied with my decision to go for what I truly would like when I know I can without any problems anyway, you know? Thanks for the good luck as well! :)

If money is not a problem, then get the macbook pro. In the end, you'll enjoy it more. If you get the macbook, you might think about all the little features you're missing by not having bought the macbook. Since you have the money, buy and enjoy:)

This is true. I'm not too stubborn to admit a Macbook WILL or WOULD do me very good use in college. I think I was just so hung up over the MBP because I wanted the best I could get since it's going to be my first time buying in years. The Macbook I put together (which I mentioned earlier) is just as good of a machine, though. Who knows what I'll end up doing in the end... hahaha. Anything's game right now. :)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
This is true. I'm not too stubborn to admit a Macbook WILL or WOULD do me very good use in college. I think I was just so hung up over the MBP because I wanted the best I could get since it's going to be my first time buying in years. The Macbook I put together (which I mentioned earlier) is just as good of a machine, though. Who knows what I'll end up doing in the end... hahaha. Anything's game right now. :)

Wait...I forgot to add "pro" to my post. I meant you would regret not having bought the macbook PRO. Get the PRO, it'll be better:)

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
Wait...I forgot to add "pro" to my post. I meant you would regret not having bought the macbook PRO. Get the PRO, it'll be better:)

hahaha, I actually didn't even notice and I guess I just assumed that was what it was supposed to be because that's how I read it.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
hahaha, I actually didn't even notice and I guess I just assumed that was what it was supposed to be because that's how I read it.

Good, then I'm glad I didn't mess up too bad:p Enjoy your macbook pro...once they're updated, I know I will:D

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
The college I'm going to actually has computer labs (equipped with both PCs and Macs) that are open 24/7 as well. I think it'd be okay to use those... but my dorm building is actually the farthest one away from the labs. I just think I'm going to want a computer of my own to relax and do personal work with in my room whenever I can, you know?

From my experience, you won't want to be walking all the way across campus at midnight when you decide to start doing your homework to go and use a lab. Also, at my school anyways, many times the labs were pretty full and sometimes it can be hard to find a computer to use.

You'll probably just be more comfortable working in your own room. You'll have all your stuff there, and it will usually be quiet. Plus Facebook and AIM are pretty much life for college students lol, so you'll probably be on there a lot and you don't really want to have to go to the lab to check to see if you have new wall posts. lol.

It seems you're leaning more towards the macbook rather than the pro, which is a good choice. Plus, you'll have money left over so you can buy some accessories. There's a couple of computer accessories that you will definitely use.

First, if you listen to a lot of music, you'll want a decent set of computer speakers. You don't need surround sound or anything super expensive, but you'll want something decent to listen to music and if you're watching movies on your laptop. You probably wouldn't believe how many people on my floor last year spent the whole year listening to music through the crappy speakers built in to their laptops.

Additionally, going along with the speakers, you'll probably want a decent pair of headphones, so you can listen if your roommate is sleeping or doing homework and needs quiet.

The biggest thing that most students overlook is a printer. Of course all of the computer labs and the library have printers that students can use, but do you really want to walk all the way across campus just to print out a two page paper at 2am that's due at your 8am class? Get a fairly cheap printer that doesn't use expensive ink. It will make your life so much easier. I probably let four or five of my friends use my printer over the year because they didn't have one and didn't feel like going to the library to print out some little paper.

One other thing that will be useful is a USB flash drive. You may already have one, but if you don't (or if you have an old one that doesn't hold much), I'd recommend you get something like this 1GB sandisk. You don't want to be working on a 10 page paper and have like 8 pages done, take a break, and when you go back to work on it again, something doesn't work, and you lose your paper. Or if you have to send your laptop in for service or something, you'll want to have your documents. Get a flash drive and save your work to your hard drive AND the flash drive, so you always have two copies. Trust me, you don't want to get stuck writing that 10 page paper all over again because the file got deleted.

Wow, I just wrote a lot. I hope this helps :)

-Brian

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
find whoever told you that, and stick a knife through their feet. Both Mac OS X and Windows Vista will choke on anything less than 1GB; its a wonder Apple still sell the Mac Mini with 512MB.

The thing to remember when buy a new computer is to buy too much. Always buy a bigger HDD, a faster processor and more RAM than what you think you need.

Before I had my MacBook, my family had a G4 iMac with an 80GB drive, which meant we had 20GB for each person in the family. Knowing this, I thought the stock 60GB drive in the MacBook would be heaps, but I filled that, an external 80GB drive and my 30GB iPod up within months. I now have a 120GB drive, much more than i could have ever considered using, and I'm on 40GB left, and my external 80GB drive is still nearly. I'm trying to find a case for my original 60GB drive so I can use that as well.

For a student, you seriously can't go past the MacBook. Have a look at this thread for a glowing review about the MacBook :)

Thats interesting you say that, because I had an ibook 12inch for a year with 256mb of ram and it never "Choked". Ran great. :)

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Really interesting thread. I will add my comments:

Yes, you can get a $500 PC laptop and save the money in the bank. I agree that it's nice not to have any debt and to have surplus income. But I disagree with this philosophy (unless of course you CANNOT afford to buy a more expensive laptop, i.e. no savings, no parents gift to begin with).

You're gonna be in university for quite a while. People these days spend hours on their computers a week. Hours and hours. Well at least I do. You will genuinely enjoy the macbook. It's such a great machine. It's super fast, has a great OS, and looks great. There's no question you'll enjoy it. And face it - you'll be doign a lot of serious work on the computer (which is unfortunate...). If you have a nice computer, it won't make it so painful :)

Point is, if you get the macbook, yeah, it's expensive, and yeah, you probably could get by (well, not probably, you could definitely get by) with something cheaper, but would you want to? Although needs are more important than wants, wants are very important for your psychological well being. Don't feel bad about spending the extra dough on the macbook. You're going to university and are gonna turn out very educated - and one day, you'll make tons of money and be able to pay yourself/parents back for everything! So for those reasons, I think you should get the macbook.

I can't fully recomment iWork for university students. Here's the lowdown: my bet is that 90% of people at the university will be on office, the other 10% (max) will be using other stuff, i.e. openoffice, neooffice (which you could get for free! it's a lot like office, and doesn't have that many compatibitlity issues), and maybe 1% will be using iWork. iWork is a great product in general, but most of the world uses office. It's not like a Mac vs. PC debate, because really, Macs and PCs share a lot of the same. iWork and office do not - I use both (office on Mac + iWork) and there are big compatibility issues trying to convert one to another. Moreover, Pages isn't that great. Word is just better. Hard to explain - you need to try it - there are many reasons. Keynote, on the otherhand, is superb. Truly superb. Mops the floor with powerpoint. Better effects, easier to use, etc. I find my ppt presentations made on a windows box open fine on keynote usually, but I'm not quite sure if a keynote presentation will open on ppt (correct me, please?) If you plan to give presentations off of your mac (hooking it up to a projector), keynote is the way to go. Otherwise, get Office for mac. I would recommend Office, especially if you can get it cheap.

The macbook is better for you mainly because of its size. I will not argue that the Macbook is faster -it isn't! But it's way smaller, and seems to be more rugged, which is a plus since it'll be going all over the place. It has great battery life, great keyboard, and a really giant touchpad. Really though, it's for the size that I would get it.

Use the edu. discount, and get the free iPod when that promotion starts. Good luck, and have fun hitting the books!

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
I can't fully recomment iWork for university students. Here's the lowdown: my bet is that 90% of people at the university will be on office, the other 10% (max) will be using other stuff, i.e. openoffice, neooffice (which you could get for free! it's a lot like office, and doesn't have that many compatibitlity issues), and maybe 1% will be using iWork. iWork is a great product in general, but most of the world uses office. It's not like a Mac vs. PC debate, because really, Macs and PCs share a lot of the same. iWork and office do not - I use both (office on Mac + iWork) and there are big compatibility issues trying to convert one to another. Moreover, Pages isn't that great. Word is just better. Hard to explain - you need to try it - there are many reasons. Keynote, on the otherhand, is superb. Truly superb. Mops the floor with powerpoint. Better effects, easier to use, etc. I find my ppt presentations made on a windows box open fine on keynote usually, but I'm not quite sure if a keynote presentation will open on ppt (correct me, please?) If you plan to give presentations off of your mac (hooking it up to a projector), keynote is the way to go. Otherwise, get Office for mac. I would recommend Office, especially if you can get it cheap.

The macbook is better for you mainly because of its size. I will not argue that the Macbook is faster -it isn't! But it's way smaller, and seems to be more rugged, which is a plus since it'll be going all over the place. It has great battery life, great keyboard, and a really giant touchpad. Really though, it's for the size that I would get it.

Use the edu. discount, and get the free iPod when that promotion starts. Good luck, and have fun hitting the books!

Thank you for your input! :) I really would love to start getting to know iWork, but I've also already made the decision to install Office on my Mac no matter what because I know I'm going to need it. A friend of mine actually prefers Pages over Word and I've tried both using his Macbook. I'd have to say for the time being, I prefer Word and I know I can buy Office on campus for a decent amount. I am definitely going to be using the education discount and I really, really hope that they do the iPod promo this year so I can get one for myself. :) It'll be my first iPod as well, hahaha. If the promotion has to do with something different, I'm probably going to end up buying an iPod anyway.

You'll probably just be more comfortable working in your own room. You'll have all your stuff there, and it will usually be quiet. Plus Facebook and AIM are pretty much life for college students lol, so you'll probably be on there a lot and you don't really want to have to go to the lab to check to see if you have new wall posts. lol.

It seems you're leaning more towards the macbook rather than the pro, which is a good choice. Plus, you'll have money left over so you can buy some accessories. There's a couple of computer accessories that you will definitely use.

The biggest thing that most students overlook is a printer. Of course all of the computer labs and the library have printers that students can use, but do you really want to walk all the way across campus just to print out a two page paper at 2am that's due at your 8am class? Get a fairly cheap printer that doesn't use expensive ink. It will make your life so much easier. I probably let four or five of my friends use my printer over the year because they didn't have one and didn't feel like going to the library to print out some little paper.

One other thing that will be useful is a USB flash drive. You may already have one, but if you don't (or if you have an old one that doesn't hold much), I'd recommend you get something like this 1GB sandisk. You don't want to be working on a 10 page paper and have like 8 pages done, take a break, and when you go back to work on it again, something doesn't work, and you lose your paper. Or if you have to send your laptop in for service or something, you'll want to have your documents. Get a flash drive and save your work to your hard drive AND the flash drive, so you always have two copies. Trust me, you don't want to get stuck writing that 10 page paper all over again because the file got deleted.

Wow, I just wrote a lot. I hope this helps :)

-Brian

Hey, Brian. :) Thanks once again for an amazing reply! Your comment about Facebook and AIM made me laugh... hahaha. I'm not sure at this point if I'm completely 100% for the Macbok over the MBP, but I do know that I've realized I can make it through college with one, you know? About the printer - it's really funny you mentioned it because I've overlooked it myself! Should I take advantage of the printer rebate thing Apple gives you if you buy one from them with your laptop? I haven't bought a printer in years as well... my dad usually takes care of that. I have no idea where to begin as far as printers are concerned. I'll for sure be getting one though... because that walk at 2 am for my 8 am class won't sound to appealing the night of, haha. Do you have any suggestions? I also have a flash drive already... but, I want to say that it's nowhere near 1GB. My dad got my sister and I one for Christmas. I'm going to look into them now and probably pick myself up a bigger one now that you have mentioned it! :)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Flash drive: 1 gig is nice, but I've only made 11 megs of documents this term. you could probably make do with a 16 meg drive, but believe me, you'll want more for borrowing music/videos/etc.

Printer: Grab a $20 printer from Wal*Mart. It's smaller, and well..smaller. I have one from Apple, and it's a nice big $109 printer/scanner behemoth, and I'd never take it to college just because I'd have nowhere to put it. Unless you think you're going to be printing pictures, a $20 printer from wal*mart is more then good enough for printing papers.

Kaiser Phoenix

Cancelled
May 12, 2005
You 'might' not need a macbook pro, but I still think you should go pro if you can. Sure, a macbook will do the job, but its like asking someone why buy a lexus if you can go from A to B with a Corolla? Sure they are the same, but the 'ride' on a mbp will be smooth (true, not as big a difference) but with the extra screen estate, nicer keyboard (subjective I know), lighting, cooler looking (looks do matter), and a graphics card to boot.

I went with Pro because i do NEED it but still, its really the one you should go for if that is what YOU really want. Computers are just 'things, or tools' that get the job done either one, if you have the money, get the one that you feel better with, and u will use it more and take care of it better.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Flash drive: 1 gig is nice, but I've only made 11 megs of documents this term.

On the other hand, flash drives are so cheap these days, that it's not worth it buying anything less than 1GB.

EDIT: unless of course you've already got one that will be adequate.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
you could probably make do with a 16 meg drive

I disagree. My chemistry coursework was 13 megs alone, and I did coursework in about 10-13 subjects!

EDIT: I just checked, and the size of my DT folder is 228MB. This was ~30 pages of A3.

scan

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
"You don't NEED at least 1GB of RAM

They are right. YOu need 2gb. :D

but to be serious, forget what everyone says about you not needing this and that. If it'll make your life in college easier and more convenient then get it! For all those ppl who say you don't need 1gb ram, that processor, that much hdd space, because the cheaper, less resourceful dells would be "more than enough", then ask them why don't ride a bike to work.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I disagree. My chemistry coursework was 13 megs alone, and I did coursework in about 10-13 subjects!

EDIT: I just checked, and the size of my DT folder is 228MB. This was ~30 pages of A3.

:D Just be glad you're not in something design-related. Most of my single files are larger than that. I have a 2GB flash drive that I fill regularly.

As for the discussion at hand, I can't see the justification for a pro at the moment. That might change after the update, but frankly the macbook is a superbly capable machine from my research.

I'm a graphic design professional; I was working on a 15" powerbook until recently when a cup of coffee killed it (not my fault). I've been doing a ton of reading on the MB/MBP "issue", and frankly I'm about 90% certain that I'll be replacing my powerbook with a macbook (NOT pro). I figure the price difference will net out to about $500-600, and I've been told constantly that the macbook will handle everything I can throw at it (for my needs).

alwaysaangel

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
Before I had my MacBook, my family had a G4 iMac with an 80GB drive, which meant we had 20GB for each person in the family. Knowing this, I thought the stock 60GB drive in the MacBook would be heaps, but I filled that, an external 80GB drive and my 30GB iPod up within months. I now have a 120GB drive, much more than i could have ever considered using, and I'm on 40GB left, and my external 80GB drive is still nearly. I'm trying to find a case for my original 60GB drive so I can use that as well.

Good grief!! You need to quit downloading all that porn!

To the OP. I would just get your macbook and ignore all the stuff the others are saying to you. I wish I had a mac in college. They're just more reliable. I lost 2 papers and some study sheets to my PC dying in the middle of working on them (it happened frequently). This never happened to my friends with macs. Antecdotal sure, but its enough to convince me to switch.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
My advice to you, is to spend as little as possible and be frugal until you get out of college and get a real job. End of story. I have only bought used (Apple) laptops since I have been in college and it's been a blessing. Sure they aren't as nice as the new ones, and the technology is older. BUT Word does run faster on my computer (see sig) than it does on the new Intel machines, and thats really nice. Why spend a lot of money now? Spend money when you have a steady income and have already graduated. Trust me dude, wouldn't it be nice to graduate with the least debt you possibly can? Then when you start working you actually get to keep the money you are making and you will be that much closer to buying a house or that dream Mac set up you so desire. Thats just my 2 cents. My friend is graduating with 40,000 in student loans, I am graduating with no debt. Think about it.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Hey, Brian. :) Thanks once again for an amazing reply! Your comment about Facebook and AIM made me laugh... hahaha. I'm not sure at this point if I'm completely 100% for the Macbok over the MBP, but I do know that I've realized I can make it through college with one, you know? About the printer - it's really funny you mentioned it because I've overlooked it myself! Should I take advantage of the printer rebate thing Apple gives you if you buy one from them with your laptop? I haven't bought a printer in years as well... my dad usually takes care of that. I have no idea where to begin as far as printers are concerned. I'll for sure be getting one though... because that walk at 2 am for my 8 am class won't sound to appealing the night of, haha. Do you have any suggestions? I also have a flash drive already... but, I want to say that it's nowhere near 1GB. My dad got my sister and I one for Christmas. I'm going to look into them now and probably pick myself up a bigger one now that you have mentioned it! :)

I don't know much about printers either, but I just did a quick search on newegg and found this HP for 50 bucks. You don't need something expensive, so that, or anything similar, would work fine. The only think I'm not sure about as far as the Apple printer rebate is whether you will be able to use it along with the iPod rebate or if you can only use one of them. If you can use both, then definitely do it, but if you can't then you have to decide which one you want to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.