Major problems with Ikonic Edge pouch for IP5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Bluehinder, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Bluehinder macrumors member

Hi,

I've been a big fan of their simple pouch, having owned two. Just got the iPhone 5 version and it has a major problem. It's about 1/2 inch too long, and has a very sloppy loose fit. My other two were nice and snug, and the fit was perfect. See the attached photos to see what I mean.

I contacted the company who essentially said, send it back, we'll try to find one that fits. You pay to send it back to New Zealand. This is a $45 case. I asked if they are all this way, or did I get a bad one, and they wont respond.

I'd say stay away from these guys until they get things sorted out. I'm majorly disappointed in Ikonic Edge as they used to have great quality and customer service. I guess I'll have to try Sena.

Attached Files:

2. No Regrets macrumors regular

This is very disappointing as I was just about to order the ikonic edge today for my iPhone 5.

I'd like to hear from other iconic edge - iPhone 5 owners to see how theirs have turned out.....if they are experiencing the same problem.

Thank you for reporting this to us!

3. Bluehinder thread starter macrumors member

How do you make a case 1/2 inch too long? That's really poor quality control. The companies customer service is poor as well.

Why take the chance, Sena makes an excellent leather pouch for almost half the price.

4. trozau macrumors regular

trozau

Wow! That is real bad. I am very happy with both my black Sena UltraSlim Access and red UltraSlim Classic for my white iP5.

5. No Regrets macrumors regular

I understand what you are saying. I actually was considering the Sena, but after reading several posts from individuals that the Sena starts showing wear and tear after only a couple of months.....and that the quality isn't near that of the iconic edge which still looks like new after a years worth of service.....(albiet this was for the iphone 4 pouches) is why I was considering the iconic until I just read your post.

Now I don't know what to do.

----------

I realize that you probably haven't had your Sena for too long yet, but is yours showing any sign of wear yet?

6. Bluehinder thread starter macrumors member

There is no question that IE pouches are good, it's just if you want to roll the dice on getting a bad one, and there is no way to know. The company won't even comment on it. For $45 and a trip back to New Zealand it's not worth it.

I've had a Sena pouch before and it was excellent. I'm going to get one now after this is returned. For half the price, who cares how it wears. Mine had no problems with wear, in fact it looked better the older it got.

7. No Regrets macrumors regular

That's good to know that you didn't have problems with the Sena showing wear. It sounds like they will be the ones to go with. Thanks!

8. trozau macrumors regular

trozau

I have had the black UltraSlim Access for about 3 or 4 weeks and no signs of wear. Break-in period was about 3 days and fits perfect. Not loose yet not tight either. :)

9. Bluehinder thread starter macrumors member

The company now acknowledges they don't fit properly, says they are revising the case.

Still makes me wonder why they bothered to ship the first batch.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

Personally I would go with Vaja. I had one of their cases for the iPhone 4 and then also used it when I got my 4S. All in all I had it for approximately two years and it was still good as new. I have one of their new cases for my iPhone 5 now.

11. King Julian macrumors regular

Received my iPhone 5 case today from iKonic Edge, and I have the same issues as the OP

The case is slightly loose but not too much to bother me, however the case is far too long, not as snug fit as the case for the 4/4S.

I contacted iKonic Edge who promptly replied(wouldn't expect any less from them) and requested for me to send back the case I received and they will duly send a replacment.

You have to appreciate with all products, and pre-orders launched prior to the iPhone release, you may get slight issues but over time these are usual ironed out.

12. popcorn-in-sac macrumors member

Same for me I'm afraid

I also purchased one of these cases after a very positive experience with one for the 4/4s. The new one is too long (as shown in the OP photo), and it also doesn't seem quite as 'nice' as the one I had previously. It just seems a bit thinner and not quite as high quality.

I just ordered one from killspencer.com -- it certainly looks great in photos, and I'm hoping it's as nice in person. It's made in Los Angeles, CA, so returning it should be fairly easy/affordable if it's not great.

Mark

13. MacBreezy macrumors regular

Just asked my Mother-in-Law to get me one of these for Christmas. I hope they have it figured out by the time my order goes through...

14. No Regrets macrumors regular

Would you be so kind to reply back to this thread when you receive your replacement to tell us if it has been fixed and how you like it?

Thank you!

----------

Please let us know how you like it once you receive it.

15. King Julian macrumors regular

I will post back upon receipt of the replacement.

16. No Regrets macrumors regular

Thank you. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts of the new one. Did they happen to give you any idea as to when you might receive the new and improved version?

17. King Julian macrumors regular

From what I can gather they acknowledge the issues I, and others have raised in regards to the length and width of the new iPhone 5 case. They do apparently allow for a certain strinkage of the product, however I cannot imagine the leather will strink by +5mm

They are in the process of manufacturering a newer batch and each case will be quality controlled more stringently prior to dispatch. The size will be more akin to the actual side of the iPhone 5.

Hopefully I will have a new case with 2-3 weeks

18. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I received my case as well and have the same issue. This thing is way too long. I sent them an email and we will see what they say. I don't think we should be paying return shipping due to their poor quality control. I am definitely disappointed.

19. Bluehinder thread starter macrumors member

I've got a replacement coming. I'll follow up when I get it.

20. No Regrets macrumors regular

I'm looking forward to reading your follow-up report!

21. SFer macrumors newbie

Ikonic Edge looked after me

I have always had great service from Ikonic Edge and they came through this time too. My iPhone pouch was way big but was replaced promptly which I thought was cool. I will do business with them in the future for sure.:)

22. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Have you received the replacement yet?

23. No Regrets macrumors regular

It sounds as if you have had the iconic Edge for the 4/4S. I'm curious how you feel the quality, feel, and craftsmanship of the iPhone 5 version (other than of course it being the wrong size) is compared to that of the 4/4S version?

24. King Julian macrumors regular

@No Regrets

Personally I thought the case felt thinner. Now I wasn't too sure if I was preoccupied with the length but it felt the case was stretched to it limitations with the chosen leather material.

I hope the replacment has a better feel and quality to it.

25. jOzhie macrumors newbie

My Ikonic Edge iP5 pouch is also too large, which suprised me as the pouch for my iP4 fit perfectly. I must say, that after having used it for a week now, I'm not really bothered by the added length. The top edge of the pouch curls up nicely around the top edge of the iPhone, providing a better protection of this side of the phone.
    The quality of the leather of mine is actually top notch, definitely not lower quality than the iP4 version I used to have.
    I think I'll just hang on to this one :)