Major Quicktime 7 Bug?

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I've been watching movies in QT7 today and I noticed something very odd. When I minimize video into the dock, it doesn't continue to show the video in the dock but audio is still heard. The movie will also not come out of the dock after it's in there.

Am I the only person with this problem?
I do have pro.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Well, I just bought QT 7 Pro, but I don't have Tiger yet. I was hoping it would be a download. Have to wait until tomorrow.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Wow! The same thing happened to me! I was playing a music video, "1985 by Bowling for Soup" and when I minimize it, it goes to the dock, but the video is heard. The dock icon is still... not "active" showing the movie playing. But when I try to go back to it by clicking on it, it doesn't go back! BUT, if I were to hold down Apple + Tab to switch Apps to go back to quicktime, it shows the video, but when clicking on it, its unresponsive, as minimizing it. Strange.
I've been bitten by the bug! :)

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Cooknn said:
How did you install Tiger?
I upgraded. I'm planning tomm to format and do a complete reinstall.
Hopefully it might fix it.. Has anyone else have that problem?

P.S I'm not using quicktime pro either..

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Daveway said:
Could upgrading really cause this problem?
IMO, any time you install new software on top of an older version, particularly when said software is an OS, there's potential for problems. I always do a clean install for major OS releases.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Mine works fine. The video and sound continue when minimized to the dock. I have QT Pro and installed Tiger via Upgrade from 10.3.9.

MichaelK

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2004
I had the exact same problem as what you described Daveway. I fixed the problem by taking out the Divx codec that I had installed. The video seems to now run fine in the dock without the codec installed.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
MichaelK said:
I had the exact same problem as what you described Daveway. I fixed the problem by taking out the Divx codec that I had installed. The video seems to now run fine in the dock without the codec installed.
How do you remove that codec, Michael? I've got 5 Mac's to upgrade. I'm not sure I want to do archive and install for all of them. Upgrade would be easier for sure...

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
QT7 running fine on a 17" PowerBook under 10.3.9 with the DivX and XviD codecs.

Minimises and restores OK, plays in the dock just fine.

WILL quit if trying to see movie properties whilst the movies running, but not all the time.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Everything runs fine after going to QT7, plays fine in dock but boy did I stress since just after I installed it I then read this thread :eek: glad it's working since I have a lot of QT files for my cartoons and lessons. Hope they get it fixed for others that have problems.
Side note: I'm not running Tiger either...

MichaelK

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2004
Cooknn said:
How do you remove that codec, Michael? I've got 5 Mac's to upgrade. I'm not sure I want to do archive and install for all of them. Upgrade would be easier for sure...
You can remove the codec by going to Library and then to the quicktime folder. All of your codecs should be in there.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Just had an interesting one, I minimized a QT window and did some work in FileMaker, then clicked the icon in the dock to open the window again, which it did, but it left the icon in the right side of the dock. it stayed there even after I'd closed the file down, and only disappeared when I quit QT.

I tried to drag the icon out and drop it, but it just sprang back, and it wouldn't respond to clicking at all.

Something obviously not quite right.

That said, H264 rocks and the new viewer is cool, plus having the ability to record audio and video directly to QT is fantastic.

Idgit

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2004
NuPowerbook said:
Running Tiger and QT7 Pro it happens to me also. I also noticed that I have two Help menus it QT.
The two "Help" menu is caused by the DivX plugin. Remove it and the extra help menu will disappear.

NuPowerbook

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2004
Idgit said:
The two "Help" menu is caused by the DivX plugin. Remove it and the extra help menu will disappear.
Well, I need the Divx codec. Is this a problem with QT, or Divx?

mox358

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Another Quicktime 7 bug?

I was playing with QT7 today (10.3.9) and I noticed when I click a link to a movie in the quicktime window, it starts safari and opens a webpage, which opens itunes and auto switches to full screen mode to play the movie. Is this new? Because if so, it really negates the need for a quicktime app, if iTunes is going to show the movie and safari is going to manage what gets shown. Basically my gripe is that Apple auto starts two other programs when Quicktime 7 should be more than capable of showing a damn movie in Quicktime Player! What else does it do???

I'm ok... just a little stressed after waiting for Tiger to completly install on my Powerbook.