Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bulliondesk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Just got back from the Apple Store to check out the watch for the first time. My main concern was my Bluetooth Headset. I use it hands free for work 24/7. It is a life saver not having to hold my phone up to my ear all day. I got a run around response from an Apple Store employee when I asked if it works with the watch the same way it does with my iPhone 6.

All I want to do is have my phone (in my pocket) or within range, my Bluetooth headset on my ear and be able to make and receive calls using my Watch, not my phone. Is this at all possible? I left more confused than when I walked into the store. BTW I ordered a 38mm Black Sport.. June delivery.

brianld

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Seattle
Just got back from the Apple Store to check out the watch for the first time. My main concern was my Bluetooth Headset. I use it hands free for work 24/7. It is a life saver not having to hold my phone up to my ear all day. I got a run around response from an Apple Store employee when I asked if if it works with the watch the same way it does with my iPhone 6.

All I want to do is have my phone (in my pocket) or within range, my Bluetooth headset on my ear and be able to make and receive calls using my Watch, not my phone. Is this possible?

Yes. You will be able to keep your phone in your pocket, and make/receive calls from your phone. The bluetooth headset will still be connected to your phone - think of the watch as a remote control for your phone in this use case.

Reactions: ladytonya

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Yup, it'll work. I've found the Bluetooth headset works great with the watch. I didn't even have to have my phone that close to me.

bulliondesk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Yes. You will be able to keep your phone in your pocket, and make/receive calls from your phone. The bluetooth headset will still be connected to your phone - think of the watch as a remote control for your phone in this use case.

I want to make/receive phone calls with the Watch not my Phone while talking on my Bluetooth. Sorry, I might not have explained it correctly. I don't want to have to touch my phone. I want to have the Bluetooth in my ear and press the buttons on the Watch rather than pressing on my phone all while still being able to hear everything in my Bluetooth headset.

brianld

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Seattle
I want to make/receive phone calls with the Watch not my Phone while talking on my Bluetooth. Sorry, I might not have explained it correctly. I don't want to have to touch my phone. I want to have the Bluetooth in my ear and press the buttons on the Watch rather than pressing on my phone all while still being able to hear everything in my Bluetooth headset.

Correct, you will be able to do this.

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
yes, maybe

Yes, Maybe.

You CAN answer the call on the watch and you CAN use the BT headset in your ear, but I believe it is STILL making the connection with the phone.

So, for example if the bluetooth on the phone is OFF, I do not believe the BT headset will connect directly with the WATCH. It still requires the PHONE to be nearby.

However, the watch WILL allows call directly to the watch using the speaker and mic on the watch, without the phone being nearby at all (assuming they are both on the same WIFI network)

Is that what you mean. I sort of think you want the BT headset to actually PAIR with the WATCH which I do not believe it does?

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
OP wants to clarify that he/she wants to be able to answer calls by tapping on the watch and having them routed to his/her Bluetooth headset. OP doesn't want calls to play through the watch's speaker when answered on the watch.

I'm actually not sure and curious as well.

spikerules

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
OP wants to clarify that he/she wants to be able to answer calls by tapping on the watch and having them routed to his/her Bluetooth headset. OP doesn't want calls to play through the watch's speaker when answered on the watch.

I have just tested this and it's a bit of a fudge job. The watch wont allow you to use the watch and then choose a headset. The headset has to be paired to the phone. When the phone rings and you answer on the watch it comes through the watch speaker. You have to then transfer it to your phone to use the headset... this makes it useless as why would you answer on the watch then transfer it and THEN choose the headset as the speaker. It's just not worth it... such a shame.

bulliondesk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
I have just tested this and it's a bit of a fudge job. The watch wont allow you to use the watch and then choose a headset. The headset has to be paired to the phone. When the phone rings and you answer on the watch it comes through the watch speaker. You have to then transfer it to your phone to use the headset... this makes it useless as why would you answer on the watch then transfer it and THEN choose the headset as the speaker. It's just not worth it... such a shame.

Thank you for the response. When you transfer it to your phone do you then have to press headset button on the phone or it automatically moves to your headset if its linked to your phone? Because sometimes I will have my headset on and I get a call and my phone will pick it up as if its not even connected to my headset and I have to then click on my phone to move to my headset which is already on my ear... Appreciate the help!

bulliondesk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015

Yes this is exactly what I was trying to explain! Thank you!

spikerules

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Thank you for the response. When you transfer it to your phone do you then have to press headset button on the phone or it automatically moves to your headset if its linked to your phone? Because sometimes I will have my headset on and I get a call and my phone will pick it up as if its not even connected to my headset and I have to then click on my phone to move to my headset which is already on my ear... Appreciate the help!

From what I remember from testing yesterday I had to transfer it to the headset on the phone too. It's a ridiculous amount of effort for what should be one button press. Quite disappointed frankly.

Doomstare

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2015
I'd like to see this as an option on the watch. But remember, this is only 1.0. The great thing about this feature is it would all be software based meaning if they add it in 1.1 or something all you have to do is update and you're good to go.

spikerules

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
I'd like to see this as an option on the watch. But remember, this is only 1.0. The great thing about this feature is it would all be software based meaning if they add it in 1.1 or something all you have to do is update and you're good to go.

If that is the case then why not of added it in 1.0? Seems like a no brainer to be honest...

Aeromech

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Texas
When I get a call I glance at my watch to see if it's a call I want to take. If so I then press the answer button on my Bluetooth earpiece to answer. Or just say "answer". (Voice control on BlueAnt)
I don't know if you can initiate a call from the watch and starts the call using my earpiece though. Haven't tried that yet.

rahulr

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina
If you initiate a call from the watch or say through Siri it will go through the BT headset. So receiving a call, push the headset button,making a call use Siri or the friends list on the watch.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
If that is the case then why not of added it in 1.0? Seems like a no brainer to be honest...

Usually because of time and resource constraints. You have a pre-set launch date. In order to hit that date, you have to be "feature complete" x months before launch (as you have to shake out all of the P1 and most of the P2 and P3 bugs before launch as part of your beta testing and patching).

There will be a list of features that Apple will have earmarked for .x or .0x releases after launch. I'm hoping this is one of them! If we're going to have our watches on us all of the time, why wouldn't we want the BT earphones paired to the watch?!

Also, it greatly diminishes the usefulness of the watch to iPhone pairing being fully functional over wifi if this feature isn't available.

Edit: Had another thought. Forgot how damn small the battery is in the watch. If you were actually routing all of your calls through the watch, that would significantly impact your battery life. (if you're on your phone all day, I'm doubting you would get through the business day). Better that they be paired with the phone, but have the option to always take the call on the phone - if the user configures it that way (you hit the answer button on the watch, but the call is on the phone).

Last edited:

NAYo2002

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
From what I remember from testing yesterday I had to transfer it to the headset on the phone too. It's a ridiculous amount of effort for what should be one button press. Quite disappointed frankly.

Your BT headset doesn't have a button you can use to answer calls? If you answer it on the watch, of course it'll think you want to talk directly on the watch.

spikerules

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Your BT headset doesn't have a button you can use to answer calls? If you answer it on the watch, of course it'll think you want to talk directly on the watch.

It's just a cheap sports headset for listening to music. I doubt pressing the button on the headset would do anything.

happypappy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Philadelphia
If you have your watch paired with your Bluetooth headset, you will be able to make and receive calls using the button on the headset.

BritinNC

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
NC
I found this confusing as there is an 'Answer on iPhone' button on the watch. When I was out walking and wanted to take a call on my bluetooth headphones I pressed this button expecting it to route to the headphones without me having to do anything else. It didn't. According to the user guide:

Hold a call. Tap “Answer on iPhone” to place the call on hold until you can continue it on your paired iPhone. The caller hears a repeated sound until you pick up the call. If you can’t find your iPhone, tap the ping iPhone button on Apple Watch to locate it.

So in reality that option only places the call on hold until you manually answer it on your iPhone, you still have to initiate the answering on your iPhone by swiping or using the bluetooth answer button. I find this confusing but I guess you don't want to press the button and then have to look for your phone. Once you get the hang of it it makes sense, but if you press it and expect it to just start communicating through the bluetooth headset you have set up you (and the caller) will be waiting for a while.

spikerules

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Are you sure? My $15 one can control music (skip/volume), answer calls, and activate Siri.

It only has an on/off button which doubles as a pairing button and a volume adjustment. Are you sure you can answer your call from the headset ON the watch or are you paired to the phone?

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I guess I don't see what the big deal is. My Bluebuds have an answer button. It's connected to the phone, I just look at my watch, see who is calling and answer with my bluetooth headset. I never have to touch my phone and the watch just acts as a display.

If I want to initiate a call just use Siri from the headset.

Last edited:
Reactions: ladytonya

gmann21133

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2015
Texas
I don't have my watch yet, but this is something I want to try. In settings under general in accessibly there is a setting for audio routing. I used this with pebble, it gave me the option to route calling to headset. Wonder if this will work with the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.