Make iDVD work again ...... please!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hogie65, Feb 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hogie65 macrumors newbie

Please Apple ...... I realise you think DVD is dead, but don't tell Nana, or the thousands of oldies we send DVDs to. We make a yearly video of a dance school concert - the only method of distribution we have is DVD (because, yes, we gave up on VHS). Over the last 2 years you have made it increasingly difficult to use iDVD. As of the last update to Sierra, it is dead. And there is simply no adequate replacement. Why is Sierra such a problem? What have you done? Or not done? And can you help????

I bet I'm not the only one .....

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Have you investigated the alternatives - at this point it's clear that Apple are not interested in iDVD so that is probably your only option

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There have been a few discussions on alternatives, don't recall all the detail off hand. Does iMovie have a share as DVD option? I've used FCPX and Compressor to make DVDs with simple menus. Burn comes up often here.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Not any more, because iDVD is no more.

Have you tried "Burn"? It's free. It doesn't have the fancy menus of iDVD, but it does everything to make a DVD.
    http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

5. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I still use iDVD, I have a machine dedicated to it.

2009 13" Macbook Pro boots El Capitain and runs iDVD.

I also made a boot drive (500GB FW800 HDD) for my Late 2011 Macbook Pro, loaded with Snow Leopard and iDVD. 10.6.8 is not officially supported on the Late 2011 but it works like a charm :)

The 2013 retina I wouldn't bother because I need an adapter to hook the FW400 camera up, and I need an external DVD drive...

I've been digitizing all my families old 8mm, Hi8, and Digital8 tapes. I save them in iDVD as a disk image and play them back in KODI on the TV.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Do the Dropzones still work? I have exactly the same setup, and they don't.

7. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I've basically come to the conclusion that us Apple people have to retain ways to boot into old systems and/or hang on to old Macs and don't update them. Thus, I have external Mac cloned drives for booting in Snow Leopard, another for booting into Yosemite and even an older Mac with Tiger. It's how to cover ALL of these kinds of issues.

If you have a way backwards, you might get yourself an external drive and format it for an older Mac OS. Dig up the old DVDs and make it a Snow Leopard installation. Then use that for running older software. Of course, this only works if the Mac hardware is old enough to have drivers in an old OS version. If not, the solution turns into buying an older Mac that might already be formatted with an older Mac OS version.

8. admwright macrumors regular

Another option is to create a virtual Mac. I have used VirtualBox to create a virtual Snow Leopard Mac for running older software. Works fine and the performance is good. The benefit here is it is easy to copy files between the real computer and the virtual one. Also, no need to keep/support old hardware (our Snow Leopard iMac died).

9. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

Try Roxio Toast Titanium. It has DVD authoring capabilities.

The other option is to build an external boot drive with an older version of Mac OS X. I have a Snow Leopard boot drive and a Mavericks boot drive, both with the latest version of the iLife and iWork apps that were available for those operating systems. Booting one of those is like stepping back into time.

Good luck.

10. EdT macrumors 6502a

EdT

Not trying to be a smart-alec or anything but I have a year old iMac with mac OS Sierra and when I do a search using launchpad I still find iDVD. I don't have a dvd player/burner hooked up to this computer so I don't know if it really works or if it has some incapacitating limitations, but I know I didn't download or install it implicitly on this computer. It is an iMac and not a laptop of any kind, maybe that's the difference?

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Unless you have to be selling it, why not just upload to Youtube? No muss, no fuss.

12. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Toast DVD is pretty good and cheap, and it works with Sierra. Plus it's on the App store.