Make Install CDs from DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deadkenny, Nov 15, 2007.

1. deadkenny macrumors regular

Hi there,

I recently got an iMac G3 Slot Loading with 350MHz in blue without Firewire. It came with Panther (10.3) but I would like to upgrade it to Tiger because I'm used to many Tiger features, especially SpotLight.

Now my problem is, that my iMac only has a CD Combo Drive, no DVD whilst there don't seem to be Tiger CDs available, only DVDs. Therfore I have three questions.

1.): Is it possible to create installation CDs from a DVD? Does anyone have a tutorial for that?

2.): Can I buy any Tiger DVD Set on eBay or do I need to take care that it is a non-intel one?

3.): Is there any way to copy a DVD as .dmg to my Panther System and then install Tiger from that .dmg?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Tiger requires a G3 with Firewire, though XPostFacto might still be able to install it.

Tiger retail (client) was only available for PPC. Intels used their included restore disks.

It needs to boot to do the install, so DMG's won't help much there.

Sounds like a challenging problem.

3. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

4. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

XPostFacto is not necessary to install tiger. I have this same machine and I had no problems installing tiger. I think apple put on the firewire requirement more as a time marker. Like 'if you have firewire, your machine is new enough to run this no problem' kind of thing. Tiger itself does not require it to install.

And 350s actually run tiger way better than you'd think.

hope this helps

5. deadkenny thread starter macrumors regular

I'm from Germany, over here I havn't seen Tiger on CD so far, but I will look on eBay from now on - hopefully I'll find it :)

Thank you guys!