Make Leopard BackUp Disk Copy...?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fab5freddy, Apr 17, 2008.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I wanted to know a good app to make an exact back up copy
    of my Leopard INstall Disk.....?

What about Mac the Ripper., would that do the job ?

thanks!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

do you have a dual layer burner? if so just use Disk Utility using this method.

- insert the Leopard DVD and open Disk Utility.
    - click New Image in the toolbar and in the window that appears select where you want to save it and leave the Image Format at Compressed and Encryption at None then click save.
    - after the image is created click Burn in the toolbar and select then select the image.
    - burn it.

easy! i assume your using this for a personal backup? ;). if you have a Mac Pro with dual superdrives i think you can bypass creating an Image but im not sure how to do that.

MacTheRipper is used to backup personal DVDs that are encrypted. if you burnt your own DVD or have a DVD with no encryption you can burn it using the same method above.

3. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Um... To be perfectly honest, I've tried this before. It seems as if it's on a disk that isn't stock, it won't boot. I can read it and mount it in my OS just fine, but when it comes to booting - it just won't do it. It'll sit there forever. I had to Google what to do because force-shutting down and rebooting only resulted in the computer trying to boot from the CD again. I had to hold the mouse button for a minute on reboot to get it to spit the disk out (curse slot-loading optical drives.)

What has worked, however, is copying the disk as an image and then burning it to an external HDD. I burned my disk to an old 8GB HDD that I had put in a USB enclosure, and I can boot from it and install just fine.

4. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

hi TH-Gunner, so you can't burn it to a Dual Layer DVD it sounds like...?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

course you can.

TH-Gunner i think you may have had data corruption in the burn process which maybe could of been corrected by burning at a lower speed.

if you copy the original install DVD to a dual layer disc it should work fine.

6. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

7. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Are there any 3rd party apps that do this as well ?

Maybe Toast Titanium ?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

when you set image to "compressed" doesnt that make it a .dmg and thus unbootable? or when you burn, does it somehow make the .dmg bootable?

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Make an 8 GB partition on your Time Machine backup drive. If you don't have a backup drive, buy one. Use Disk Utility to copy the DVD to the 8 GB partition, then check that you can boot from it.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yup! i just finally figured it out

here is a set of instructions i wrote up for myslef and anyone who might benefit

To boot osx from flash/external drive using Leopard

1) Insert osx install disc

2) Open disk utility

3) Select mounted disk and click new image in disk utility

4) Select where to save and leave image format as compressed and encryption none

5) This will create a dmg file

6) Once created, mount the dmg file and then click on the actual dmg image and hit restore tab

7) In source, drag the mounted dmg file

8) In destination, drag your flash or external drive

9) Wait for it to restore

10) When booting up, simply hold option key and select the flash/external drive

11) Done!

11. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Sounds good and you can boot from it, but if my original leopard disk fails can I use your method to do a fresh install on my iMac?

12. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

If using a hard drive partition works for you, you will be most impressed by the speed of your installation.

I use this method for Leopard and Snow Leopard and the installs are wicked fast.

13. dhd macrumors member

dhd

+1

I have a 3 partition scheme in my TM backup drive (TM, Mac OS X Install DVD and Disk Warrior DVD).
    You can install the system from there. in my experience is loads faster than running the physical dvd.

good luck!!!

14. Justinz, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

Justinz macrumors newbie

For Installing Leopard onto a PPC
    I don't know if anybody needs this but. Here is my idea.
    I have seen this topic forever now and nobody posted a way to do this. I will answer you question in my best knowledge.
    What i figured out was that nobody on this topic knew what to do. Well some did know. You need to add a partition to a Internal Hard Drive. Here are my steps.

1. Open disk utility
    2. Insert the disk
    3. Make a new image at the top ( for the Leopard disk)
    4. Mount the new disk image.
    5. Make a new partition on your HD more than 8gb.
    6. Go the restore tab in the new partition and put the destination as the new partition.
    7. Then the source is the MOUNTED DISK IMAGE not the disk image. The mounted one.
    8. Go the start up disk in system preferences. Then choose the new image and your good.
    9. If it doesn't work. Boot from the disk. Then go to startup disk. While booted on the start up disk.
    If you can please send me a Private message to tell me if you have any problems.

I did this to my Power Mac G4 MDD.I bought a 1tb HD and Installed Mac OS X 10.5 on my that Hard drive that way.
    I do not take any responsibility on what happens to you or your computer.