Make Macrumors Ad-Free (No Strings)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ArmCortexA8, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmCortexA8, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015

ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Dear Gang

I have been using the web for over 20 years, and I am sick to death of ads. They are the rose in my side for far too long. Additionally we the people are not asked if we want these ads - no permission - no request. Also since I am in Australia, most of these ads are not applicable either. I am not here to financially support a site via ads or any other method of monetisation. If you want me to view ads - you pay me or I block them. E.g. Macrumors.com has over 16 ads alone, and the forums have 7 ads - not acceptable.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

What is your point? The permission is granted by you choosing to access the site.

If you feel that there is a better way to support the site, well there is. You can become a contributing member for $25/year and most ads will be removed as a side benefit.

3. ArmCortexA8, Aug 5, 2015

ArmCortexA8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I support the site by visiting it, that's my only support. I am not here for ads to be forced down my throat without my permission. Im saying there should be not ads on Macrumors.com - and 17 for the main site and 7 ads for the forums is ridiculous. If they want me to see ads, they can pay me to view them.

4. keysofanxiety, Aug 5, 2015

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Could you remind me how much you pay MR towards their updates, reviews, offers, and website maintenance costs?

Perhaps a little knowledge of economics in the digital age would serve you well.

You don't expect to pay for all the articles they write, so why you expect them to pay you for adverts (which goes towards covering their work/time) is astonishing.

If you want to support MR without viewing adverts, pay $25 a year and they'll remove the adverts. Otherwise if you don't want to pay anything, don't complain or expect anything for free.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

So you 'support' them by visiting them? That's not 'support' that's a COST for them. They are not here as a non-profit to serve you.

Again, you give implicit permission for them to serve you ads by you typing their address into your web browser and hitting enter.

The level of self-righteousness in your posts would lead me to believe you were spamming were your account not 5 years old...

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I can not even imagine the cost to operate MacRumors on a daily basis. The ads help to offset those cost. If this is not acceptable to you, then a contribution of $25/year can remove those adverts. You can not tell me that this site has not been useful to you somewhere in the 5+ years you have been a member. The choices are easy, do not visit MacRumors, contribute or live with the ads.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah, and it's not like we're talking about obnoxious ads here. We're not getting popups that open in new windows/tabs, lock out the screen or anything like that. They're just your old fashioned banner ads and stuff.

In my experience Arn has been very good at responding to community feedback regarding malicious ads like MacKeeper as well. There are far, far worse websites to make a point about ads.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Where are you getting these numbers from?

9. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I don't even have any pop-ups or adverts. Have I broke mine :p

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I support my local restaurant by showing up and reading the menu too... I'm gonna see if they will provide me my food for free!
    Thanks for the idea OP!

11. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

What does the word "support" mean to you?

12. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You are getting paid, with free access to this excellent site and community. Has that not occurred to you?

13. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

In the same way that a buttergolem 'supports' a mobility scooter, I imagine.

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

This is outrageous! Macrumors should pay us all to visit the site! What blasphemy that they are not doing it, while we are sitting here in our free and work time! Bad Macrumors, baaaad Macrumors!!

15. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Thanks for the chuckle. Wiping the tears away!

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Looking at OP's post history, it appears that OP has zero concept of "an economy." Complains about ads, complains about paying for anything.

The tangible return is getting to listen to music.

The tangible return of visiting MacRumors is reading content that people spent their time preparing. Many of those people now have working for MacRumors as their primary source of income. How do you expect them to put in the same level of effort without any compensation?

ArmCortexA8, do you have a job? Do you perform some form of work in exchange for some form of compensation? If so, do you think that what you do should be done for no compensation? Are there any other costs associated with what you do? (i.e. if you work at a radio station, there is power, transmitter license fees, etc; if you work at a retail store, there is rent, utilities, the cost of the goods to sell, etc.) Yes, a small website with not much content can get away with being "a hobby" where the site administrator pays a few bucks a month to run it for the benefit of people who are interested - but most websites, especially popular ones like MacRumors, have significant costs associated with them. This must be earned somehow. Either you pay a subscription, or you put up with ads.

Edit: On top of it, other posts show that OP uses an ad-blocker. If you use an ad-blocker, then why would you even see ads to complain about them?!

17. M@C, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015

M@C macrumors member

Pay me or change your username, I don't want to read ads from ARM Holdings. ;)

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I want to thank the OP. Because of this thread I learned I could contribute to MR, and I did. I appreciate this site.

19. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Your site approved options are:

1. Enjoy the ads.
    2. Subscribe for an ad free experience: http://forums.macrumors.com/account/upgrades

There may be other options in the future. We are exploring it.

thanks,
    arn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.