Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wingad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
MN / WI area
I'm not sure you can compare time machine to vmware. Time machine does not allow you to run virtual machine instances. On the Mac VMWare Fusion or Parallels does though. Time machine is a very slick gui based backup software.

VMware also for the same same snapshot view of past states of the computer. The interfaces appeared to have the same look. If you are using virtual machines for your computing, this roll back feature would be identical to the functionality of time machine.

mstens

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
VMware also for the same same snapshot view of past states of the computer. The interfaces appeared to have the same look. If you are using virtual machines for your computing, this roll back feature would be identical to the functionality of time machine.

Sure, but time machine is more of an incremental backup program than a point in time snapshot. You can restore individual files rather than the whole snapshot at once. Which would be the case with vmware..

DJAznSensation

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Just got mine last night and loving it so far... I'll be posting a YouTube video of the unboxing and my thoughts on the 1st day!

"I used the Window to see the Apple... 'till one day I broke the Window to get to the Apple."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.