Making an MP3 CD using iTunes Match

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amnichols10, Feb 8, 2012.

1. amnichols10 macrumors regular

Ever since iTunes match came out I've had problem making MP3 CDs for my car. Before what I've done was convert AAC to MP3 files, putting them onto a playlist, then burn the cd that way (afterwards converting the mp3 back to AAC).

Now with iTunes match I try to make an mp3 playlist, but iTunes match takes the mp3 files to the cloud and converts them back to AAC. Is there anyway around this.

Has anyone ran into this problem before.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

There should be no need to convert to mp3 to make your cd. Just make your playlist, select Burn Playlist to Disc from the File menu, and then tick the mp3 option in the pop-up.

3. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

4. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Can't make the MP3 CD. Says that the only way that I can make the MP3 CD is if the songs are already in MP3 format. Am I missing something?

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Are you actually using iTunes Match? iTunes Match doesn't convert anything. You can, if you choose to do so, delete the MP3 file and download the AAC file, but why on earth would you do that if you want the MP3 file?

6. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

No I'm not using itunes match. What happens is when I convert songs to MP3 format and put them in a playlist itunes put them to the cloud and somehow converts them back to the AAC format that is used in itunes match.

I think that I might be doing something wrong though. A previous post on this thread said that I wouldn't need to convert AAC to MP3, but when I tried it wouldn't work.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You most definitely do. iTunes Match does _not_ convert anything on your computer to AAC. It just doesn't. Unless you manually select the mp3 file, delete it from your computer, and then click on the "download" icon.

And the other poster was wrong. If you want to create an MP3 CD, you _must_ have the music in MP3 format on your computer.

Now where you might have gone wrong: When you convert a song to MP3, iTunes doesn't actually convert the song, but it creates a second song, so you will now have the same song in AAC and MP3 format. If you have a playlist with 50 AAC songs and convert them all to MP3 format, the songs in your playlist will still be the AAC songs; the MP3 songs are _not_ in the playlist.

8. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a way to put MP3 songs in the playlist so I can make the CD

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Well, yes. iTunes has a smart playlist for "Recently imported" items. When you convert an AAC song to MP3, the MP3 file is brand new, so it's at the top of the "Recently imported" playlist. So look there to find the mp3s that you just converted. Make a playlist just for burning MP3 CDs, then drag all those mp3s from the Recently Imported playlist to the playlist for burning MP3 CDs. Burn the CD, and delete the contents of the playlist for the next time. You might actually want to delete the MP3 files themselves if you don't need them anymore.

Alternatively, select "Show duplicates". Your mp3s will all be duplicates. Sort by (I think it is) "kind" to have all the mp3s together.

10. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Ahhh. Didn't realise that, especially as the option was there. Thought it would have been similar to creating an audio cd where iTunes would do the conversion.

11. Skoozz macrumors newbie

Skoozz

Did you ever get an answer for this? Running into same issue. Convert to mp3 (192kbps) drag into NEW playlist then shows m4a at 256kbps. so frustrating, just want some new tunes in my car!

12. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Never got a straight answer for this. Eventually I just stopped using disc altogether and started using an MP3 player (either my iPhone or an mp3 player) with aux outlets