Making my MacBook Pro dual boot?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by satyam90, May 27, 2008.

1. satyam90 macrumors regular

satyam90

As a part of my work, I need to make an application that works both on Tiger as well as on Leapord. I am sure that the application that I make on Tiger works on Leapord (backward compatibility). But its mandatory for me to test it.
    For this purpose, can I install both Tiger and Leaport on my Macbook pro. Is it possible to make my laptop dual boot? How to achieve this task?

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

What are the specs of your MacBook Pro? Processor speed might do, but if you could tell us when you purchased it (presuming you got it brand new), that'd help too.

I will say though, if it came with Leopard, then the answer will be no.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

No problem at all. You can have a dozen different versions of MacOS X installed if you wish, as long as each of them can run on your Macintosh. Just create a second partition, then install the version that you don't yet have on that partition. To choose how to boot, either change "Startup Disk" in preferences, or hold the option key while booting.

(Unfortunately, you can't have three different MacOS X versions plus Bootcamp: Windows has the restriction that it _must_ be on the last partition, and it _must_ be on one of the first three partitions).

By the way: If you are sure that your application works on Leopard, without even having tried it, then you should leave testing to someone who takes it more serious. Have you tried running your application as a second user with fast user switching? Have you tried running it with File Vault enabled? There is something else in your post that makes me suspicious; maybe you can figure it out yourself.

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Did your Macbook Pro come with a Tiger Install/Restore DVD? If it didn't then I don't see how you can install Tiger as you need the original disc. Apple did not sell a stand alone version of the Tiger Install DVD that is compatible with Intel Macs.

5. satyam90 thread starter macrumors regular

satyam90

Processor is 2.33GHz Intel core 2 duo, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, 120GB hard disk.
    Currently I have Tiger installed in it. I have the Install/Restore DVD of Tiger with me. I have Leapord DVD too.

After making a partition on current hard disk, how can I make sure that Leapord will be installed in that partition. Any options will be asked at time of installation?

Where can I set the "Startup Disk". Using this, if I mention Tiger by default start OS, can I change to Leaport in between by switching the User or will I have to restart Mac?

6. dagaz macrumors newbie

Yes, when running the Leopard Install DVD when it comes to select where to install Leopard, select the partition you want.

You set the "Startup Disk" in System Preferences under the "Startup Disk" button (funnily enough). To change which System you want to boot into you can either set it from System Preferences or you can hold down the option key at startup until you get to the startup manager screen which will let you choose which partition you want to boot from.

7. satyam90 thread starter macrumors regular

satyam90

Won't it ask which OS to be started initially without pressing "Option" button. In other machines where Windows and Linux is available, it will prompt initially and one among them will be default. It waits for few seconds and proceeds with default OS. Is that kind of prompting without pressing "Option" button is not available on Mac?