Making My own "Book" iPad 2 Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MagnumOP, Mar 21, 2011.

1. MagnumOP macrumors regular

I waited for nearly a year to get my iPad 2. It is sweet! Great piece of engineering. I love to use it with no case. But When I go to school with it, I really feel that it needs more protection. During the year long wait I did a ton of research on the coolest cases available. I LOVE the Portenzo cases. I thought to myself, "I could make something like that."

I will update the thread with pictures over the next couple weeks.

Materials (so far):
    iLuv Flex-Gel Case for iPad2
    Cardboard specifically designed for hardback books
    Spray adhesive

I am in some serious need for a great material to cover the cardboard. I plan on making several cases. I will apply velcro (or something) so that the iLuv shell can be easily moved from case to case, thus cutting down on the need for multiple iLuv cases.

So here it goes...

2. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

First photos

Attached Files:

3. Vulcan4770 macrumors member

Vulcan4770

where did u get that cardboard? cost? i hollowed out a book for school also but i would like to make one how your doing it. :)

4. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

A local art supply store had it. For $10 I got four 15x20.5 sheets. The size was a little odd. I will only be able to make one case per sheet.

5. MagnumOP, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

I finished the first case. This is a rough draft to make sure I got all of the dimensions correct. The cloth I used is called Duck Cloth, I got it from the local fabric store. It feels like a slightly softer canvas.

I discovered that spray on glue is very temperamental, but I think it turned out ok. Next I will make a more polished case.

The case is still a little wet. i will have photos of this one all together later.

more to come.

6. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

photos

Attached Files:

7. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

photos part dois

Attached Files:

8. samac92 macrumors 6502a

9. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

Dude, I use those same exact books for pressing flowers and making milk plastic.

Seriously, good luck on the case, DIY is always so much more rewarding.

10. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

here is the finished "first draft."

It turned out ok. Most people can not tell it is homemade unless they look closely, but, then again, most people also don't pay attention to details.

Major issues: I should have used paper for the interior lining and not cloth, and the extra height from the velcro is too much.

Minor issues: the glue seeped through the cloth in a couple of places, I am the only one that notices but it drives me nuts. The spine wasn't quite thick enough.

I am currently finishing out a second draft that will be much refined...

Attached Files:

11. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Very neat and crafty. I'm looking forward to seeing your revised product.

I'm really interested in purchasing a case that has the book-like design like this, but I haven't seen many iPad 2 cases in the market yet. I'm considering the dodocases, but I'm still looking for more reviews of it or other products to be released before I make my purchase.

12. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

The new one is almost done. I am just trying to find something to line the inside.

13. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

Here are the guts of my second attempt.

It turns out that the cardboard is precisely as thick as the velcro i was using. So, I cut out holes for the velcro, mounted the velcro to a cereal box, and then mounted the cereal box the the card board. It is a bizarre process but it gave the exact result I was looking for.

In this case I also mounted a magnet to provide the auto sleep/wake functionality. The magnet, once again, was the precise thickness of the card board. The steps from above were repeated. I scored the cereal box as shown because the side I glued was slick. Scoring it in this fashion gives the glue something to hold thus giving a stronger bond.

Attached Files:

14. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

15. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

I also included an elastic strap. I do not have any industrial strength glue that I felt could properly secure the strap so I first sewed the two ends together. This should never come undone.

Attached Files:

16. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

here is the final design.

Garnet and Gold in honor of my noles' sweet 16 trip.

Excuse the messy screen.

Attached Files:

17. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

that looks awesome, man.

very inspirational, too. might have to try myself.

18. phant0m macrumors newbie

Very nice! I'm impressed. I wouldn't have put velcro on the iPad itself but certainly an improvement from round 2. What's in store for the next revision?

Edit: Just noticed it's on a case. My bad.

19. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I have to say it really looks good, do you keep the gel case on all the time?

20. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

21. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

23. hcho3 macrumors 68030

24. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular

I usually leave the gel case velcroed in. Around the house I like the iPad with no case, but out and about a case is a must.

25. MagnumOP thread starter macrumors regular