Making the switch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheGingerNinja, Feb 1, 2011.

1. TheGingerNinja macrumors member

Hi all, new to this site so bear with me if I seem a bit of a plonker!
    I am currently using a Asus X71SL, here are the specs:
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/248095/asus-x71sl/specifications

The issue is the battery life is pretty much dying on me, and it is starting to run a lot slower than it used to. So I have pretty much decided on buying a new macbook pro (refurb probably), and I have my eyes on this model:
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC665B/A?mco=MTgxNTExNzE

I mainly use my current laptop to browse the web, watch the odd film, play some games (mainly total war), and do homework essentially. It probably seems like overkill but I have heard that macbook's are reliable and will last for up to 5 years and beyond, which really appeals to me.
    What I am driving at is how much difference there will be in performance, and whether or not it is worth buying the current model when the next iteration could be around in April. If there is already a massive gap then I might just take the plunge now, but I await to hear your comments!
    Thanks in advance!

2. gofightlose macrumors member

gofightlose

My advice...if you can hold out for 3+ months then definitely wait for the new refresh. There could be significant changes that you'd wish you'd waited for. And if there's not any changes that you like, then the old macbooks will be cheaper. But if you can't wait any longer, go ahead and get it. They will last you a long time still and it's always easy to sell it down the road.
    hope I helped a little :p

3. xdbuix macrumors 6502

Noone knows for sure when the next Macbook comes out, its especially harder to estimate with the Intel chip problems that have been popping up everywhere. The only thing we do know is that the Macbook pro got delayed.

It comes down to this if your computer is working fine, then wait it out for the macbook pro refresh, if not just get it now, because Macbook Pros are fine machines and are indeed reliable. I've been using my black macbook for the last 2 years coming up on 3, and its doing great, minus the fact that the battery can only hold up to 2, max 3 hours.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If you could, I would wait for the new MBP. The performance gain might not be worth it for you, but Apple has consistently improved battery life with every refresh.

5. TheGingerNinja thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I probably will wait, but I am just wondering what the difference in performance is between my ASUS and the current macbook pro I am looking at. Thanks again.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

If I were you, I wouldn't even get a Pro. You would be paying for a lot more computer than you actually need.

7. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Maybe read the ENTIRE post before replying.

8. TheGingerNinja thread starter macrumors member

Thanks b-rad g. I know it is overkill, but I plan on using this laptop for 5 or more years, so I want something that is overkill now but will be able to cope with more demanding software etc further down the line. All I really want to know now is the performance gap between my asus and the macbook pro I had on the link. So If anyone could give me a rough estimate in % or something similar, I would really appreciate it. :)