Making your iPad worthless to a thief.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rkahl, Apr 22, 2012.

1. rkahl macrumors 65816

Apple please add dfu restore mode disabled in iOS -Settings- Restrictions-
    DFU Restore - ON/OFF

This would also help add a little more time to the clock if you are tracking them with Find My iPhone.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Write to Apple. It won't go anywhere from here.

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Or just get it engraved, that way you can guarantee no one else will want to own it, steal it, or buy it off you when you want to sell it. :D

4. rkahl thread starter macrumors 65816

That wouldn't stop a thief from using it.

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

wow

----------

The problem here is, I don't have a clue what this means, and i'm a bit of a geek.

Apple want to keep things simple and intuitive, and this doesn't appear to be either.

6. rkahl thread starter macrumors 65816

It's kind of having your PC's bios password protected. If someone steals your iOS device the thief doesn't even have to turn your device on. He/she only needs to connect to the computer and do a dfu restore. Apple has made nice restrictions in the settings of iOS and requiring you to use a password to utilize it. If you disable dfu mode on your device thief will not be able to restore... While the thief thinks he is doing a restore, the ipad is still sending off gps coordinates where you are buying more time for you and the cops to get there.
    By doing this your iPad can most likely always be found in the end.

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Ah right, this does sound pretty useful actually!

8. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Thanks, Sherlock!

9. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Then how does the honest person who can't remember their password or what have you, reset their iPad?

10. rkahl thread starter macrumors 65816

You're screwed! The same for your Bios tho on a pc.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Cars aren't even theft proof and they've been around for more than a century and cost a whole lot more than an iPad.

The only protection you've got is to keep an eye on it.

12. rkahl thread starter macrumors 65816

That is a Great idea. Just wow!

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The whole point of a DFU mode is to have a way to get in to reset the iPad in case of a catastrophic software failure. By it's very nature, you can't have a software switch to override DFU. I suppose it's possible to build iPads without a DFU mode to begin with, but then there'd be no way to recover from OS corruption, and a lot more iPads would have to be switched out when the OS freezes, or a restore/update goes wrong.

14. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Not enough of a geek apparently!

This feature, though it would prevent thievery, pretty much ends apple's method of being able to ensure your device will always work with anything less than a hardware failure.

So if you turned it off and managed to contract a virus from some iOS exploit or an app that got passed apple's screening, you're screwed.

Not to mention if you are jailbroken it would just be a matter of time until you need DFU mode.

15. rkahl, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

rkahl thread starter macrumors 65816

What if you could do dfu restore, but password protected? If a police report has been filed then the Genius Bar could restore the device to the actual owner. I'm positive I'm the only one who has ever thought of this. :D

16. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Maybe if you get something like this engraved:

"If [owner's full name here] or an acquaintance of [full name] does not have this iPad in possession, it may be in the hands of a really bad person that has broken the law and that person should really think about they have done. Don't be that other person" :D

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Removing the DFU doesn't make any sense.
    First, it's not there to let thieves use your iPad. It's a feature that allows you to restore your device if needed, which means it has to run without anything non standard on the device (read: no custom data, so no passwords for example).
    Then, don't forget that as long as you can put your hands on it, there will always be a way to access it, doesn't matter the efforts even Apple can put into this.

18. rkahl thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for putting it politely. I'm learning a foreign language here.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Chances of needing a reset are probably higher than having it stolen

20. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Best way to protect your investments, get insurance. Pretty typical home owners/car insurance covers stolen items. Sure this won't stop thieves, but then again not much really does. Get a loud dog and good insurance.

21. taedouni macrumors 65816

I think that would just start a lot of problems for Apple. Maybe if you need a password to do a DFU restore (and apple could have a special dock that can bypass any password).

I think that if Apple used some of the features from Cylay, that should be sufficient.

22. brand macrumors 601

brand

Except that any competent computer technician or computer savvy person should be able to bypass a BIOS password.

23. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Even better than this, you could write the carriers and ask them to allow free gps/cell data temporarily for devices that are reported as stolen (provided that you can accomplish this next step.) You now write Apple and have them program into the OS that if any device is reported as stolen, the device automatically tracks locations and submits it to the police, behind the scenes without the user knowing.

If this was done in an invisible fashion, then the thief using the device wouldn't know anyone is tracking them (so you wouldn't want to make it so that they can't use the device, just that they can't track private info). The police could roll up and bust them. It would be cool if such an automated system was built-into every device and integrated with the police network. This would seriously reduce electronic thievery. You could have a dedicated police officer just roll up on one thief after another.

----------

If it's done right, then it would take a hacker to do it. If you could isolate theft to hackers, great. There aren't many car thieves due to the heavy sentences and difficulty of the job, but stealing an iPad, iPhone or computer is incredibly easy for any moron/drug addict to do. I don't see the harm is eliminating the incentive for those people to steal by instituting a system that makes it very hard to get away with the theft.

24. brand macrumors 601

brand

The cell carriers have cell tower triangulation but I am not sure if they have access the the GPS data on the device. I can understand them being able to triangulate the devices position because of the information that they have but I would not want them to have access to my specific GPS data.