Mal-/Ransomware spreading across The Netherlands, MAJOR websites targetted!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by m4v3r1ck, Apr 11, 2016.

1. m4v3r1ck, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

There's been a serious security issue (mal- and ransomeware) the past two days on several MAJOR websites in The Netherlands, in regards to mal- and ransomware and to wide-spread across the internet using ads.

https://blog.fox-it.com/2016/04/11/large-malvertising-campaign-hits-popular-dutch-websites/

What's the consensus here on Mac Rumors about ADBlockers? Do you use them, and for what websites (in- and/or excludes)?

EDIT: I use ADblock within all OS'ses / all browsers and websites!

Cheers

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

3. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

I use Fx the vast majority of the time with NoScript and uBlock Origin. They're regularly updated and will be available in Fx's switch to Web Extensions API. uBlock Origin can be run in easy or advanced mode.

In Safari I have JS Blocker and uBlock. Two issues --

http://jsblocker.toggleable.com

uBlock, itself, hasn't been updated in a long time. However, the extra lists you can add, like Easy List, Malware Domains, and MVPS Hosts etc., are regularly updated. Also, uBlock can be used in advanced mode which enables a user much more control over scripts, frames etc.

Will either still work in OS X 11.?

More on malvertising concerning the Netherlands and other recent attacks, as well :
    http://arstechnica.com/security/201...-rash-of-malicious-ads-that-attack-end-users/
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/vide...ox-news-businessinsider-websites-502191.shtml

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

In the past the mere mention of adblocking extensions merited a post deletion. That seems to have changed once Apple started to allow such things in iOS.

Yes, I block advertisements and trackers. On the other hand I directly support this website, likely providing far more income that any ad views I might have generated.

The exception is on my phone which is 'too old' to be allowed to do such things.

5. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

I can't seem to easy find that support link here on MR!

Cheers

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you click on your user icon at the top, I believe it is under "Account Upgrades."

7. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

I'll take a look at it! Thanks for that.

Cheers

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I use Adblock on all sites, but contribute to supporting this one.

Well, @mobilehaathi, not only is my phone (a Nokia 3510) 'too old' to be allowed do such things, it is 'too old' to have any internet capabilities whatsoever. And a massive relief, too……..

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hehe, yes, I wouldn't have put it in quotes for describing your phone. :D

However, I see no legitimate reason why an iPhone 5 (my current phone) couldn't succeed in running ad-blocking extensions, thus I take it as an artificial restriction designed to encourage me to buy a new phone unnecessarily.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, but at a sprightly 15 years of age, and still working perfectly (although on a limited menu), a full charge will still last around 24 hours…...

11. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

LOL! Yes, those are the days that are way behind us now!

Cheers

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Battery life, yes. Let's not discuss the extra batteries I must take with me on highly mobile days. :mad:

13. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

See my post HERE. You might have to toy around with the native filters to get satisfaction. I ended up selecting all and also clearing caches on exit. An iPad Mini 1 was unusable for me here with Safari, even with a paid account. Reloads, crashes etc... :mad:

Same here with my Moto flip. Never crashed. :D

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, I loved the flip phones, or clam phones. Had one or two, at different times, (my current phone used to be my mum's - but I used to have a flip phone) and loved them; loved the form factor, and the sheer ruggedness.

15. m4v3r1ck, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

I can get really anoyned when website(s) detect my use of ADBlocker in Chrome and then make the content scrambled! :mad:

Here's an example: http://www.techworld.com/security/i...ank-trojan-figures-suggest-otherwise-3628397/

With this message they FORCE you to disable the ADBlock for their page...

[​IMG]

All major websites in NL that were infected with the malvertising claim that their website is safe to use without ADBlockers.... :eek:

Cheers

16. Scepticalscribe, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A few newspapers or periodicals do much the same thing.

A few, such as the Guardian, try to make you feel guilty for using an adblocker - although they don't scramble their text. Others, the Spectator comes to mind, allow you to read a paragraph, and then request that you lift the adblocker in order to be allowed further access. In general, I skip the article, instead.

17. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

On the website www.telegraaf.nl ,if they detect you're using an ADBlocker, they just wouldn't redirect you further to any page you click on! Is this the new ransomware? o_O

Cheers

18. burne macrumors 6502

burne

Don't worry: you won't miss out on anything.

19. m4v3r1ck, Apr 17, 2016

m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

LOL! Dan maar het AD?! ))

Cheers

20. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I don't run AdBlock specifically. I use NoScript.

Until websites stop serving malicious advertisements, ad-blocking protection is just a necessity these days.

21. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Yeah! And I don't need ads because I NEVER click on them!

Cheers

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, I've noticed Le Monde going the guilt angle, but there's still a small link to continue through. Anyway, I skip places that block me too.

23. Scepticalscribe, Apr 17, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I've been quite struck by the tone of plaintive whining in some publications - and there is an element of that, the old 'good journalism costs money' - and yes, it does cost money, and resources, and time, I accept that.

However, what most of these media fail to acknowledge, let alone recognise, is the dismal experience of their readers with online ads before adblockers were developers.

As a result, and as always, this meant that they got both complacent and greedy: Complacent because it worked, and greedy because they wanted even more money, so were prepared to allow and authorise the use of ever more intrusive ads that took up lots of bandwidth and space, slowed loading times, and - frankly - were an eyesore, a distraction, and sometimes even a menace.

In other words, the media over played their hand, and allowed so many intrusive ads that the act of merely trying to read articles on their online sites became something of an endurance test.

They became so difficult to circumvent and so unpleasant (all that ostentatious flashing) and intrusive that I will do almost anything to avoid them. So, the guilt trip stuff they try to pull doesn't really cut it with me.

24. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, well guilt trips are an old game with which I have plenty of experience. I remain unmoved.