Male changing surname after marriage

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SilentLoner, Apr 28, 2012.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

How does a man going about changing his surname in the US when he gets married?

Its so we can keep her swedish name and both have the same surname btw

It will be a hyphenated name :)

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I assume you know that men usually don't do this...but anyway its usually done at the local courthouse.

3. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Yes I am aware and I think its quite sexist that I knew that would be mentioned when I posted it lol

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

;) I wasn't sure if maybe you were from another country or something and unaware of customs so I mentioned just to be safe :p

I would assume there are no laws or anything preventing this but I could be wrong. You never know in the U.S..

5. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I'm from England so not too foreign lol I dont want our kids to have a different surname than both of us and we dont want to lose her scandinavian surname or my surname (family legacy/personal pride lol)

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It is my understanding that pretty much anyone can change their name in the U.S.

EDIT: I see you are in the UK.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I know that a friend of mine and his wife created a new last name from their unmarried ones and both adopted that when they got married. It is generally as simple as going to the local courthouse.

Here's Massachusetts law on the matter:
    http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/subject/about/name.html

Adoption of Surname Upon Marriage. "Each party to a marriage may adopt any surname, including but not limited to the present or birth-given surname of either party, may retain or resume use of a present or birth-given surname, or may adopt any hyphenated combination thereof.

In my case, my wife's last name became a second middle name for both our children and she continues to use her maiden name.

B

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, you can change your name to almost anything you want. When getting married, it's a convenient time. You fill out a marriage certificate application. That's pretty much it, I think. My son is getting married soon. His bride is changing her first name.

9. eric/ Guest

eric/

Did you buy her a ring?

10. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

so when you sign the marriage certificate you can change your surname on the marriage cert?

11. stickybuns macrumors 6502

ETA: oh wait. You aren't in the US. Apologies for the ethnocentric answer.

Plenty of men have hyphenated last names. Make an appointment with the DMV for both you and your spouse; show them your marriage certificate and that you will both be hyphenating your names. Do the same at the social security office. It really isn't that complicated.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's going to depend on you locality, you'd be best checking with whoever handles the legal side of marriages there.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Maybe they should start....why should the woman have to? :rolleyes::D

14. eric/ Guest

eric/

Same reason men have to buy engagement rings, stuff like that. It's cultural.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Well preserving culture?

Same reason in dating, men are largely expected to court, not the other way around. Same reason why there are usually wedding parties (bridesmaids, groomsmen), the whole wedding set up actually.

Tons of examples that are based in culture, right or wrong

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Step 1: Cut your balls off. :p

Step 2: Limp to City Hall.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Knuckle-dragger. :p

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

By the way, you're not the only one who does this. I actually know a guy who took his bride's last name. So, if I know a guy, there must be many more who've done that.

19. Peterkro, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

For the U.K. you can essentially call yourself what you want providing you're not doing it with intent to defraud (that probably rules out calling yourself the Duke of Devonshire and your wife the Duchess).There's info here:

http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/legal/changingnamemarriage.asp

It appears the easiest way is to change your name by deed poll before the marriage.Note that may be the easiest way but you're not obliged to use it.

It's a bit unclear if you're getting married in the U.S. or the U.K. if you're getting maa=rried in the states it may be easier to sort your name here first and then the wife will just take your name when you're married.

20. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

You ask about the US, but mention being from England... so are you in fact asking about US law or UK law?

If you are asking about US law, this is not a federal matter, it's a state matter and you'll need to specify the state you'll be marrying in. Or better yet, just go to the website of the state in question and LOOK IT UP. The procedures for changing names on marriage are going to be listed.

You're far more likely to get useful, accurate information from the people who are responsible for it than a bunch of people on a forum.

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

That's debatable.

If the what degrees do you have thread is to be believed, Macrumors could probably build a space shuttle.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Not without a huge number of people to do the actual work they couldn't

23. kolax macrumors G3

She's changing her first name? Why?

24. eric/ Guest

eric/

Changing your last name is too mainstream

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What if your last name is something like, say, Podrats, and the wife-to-be's name is Jones.

Suffer the poor children.