Male or Female indicator below the username's name?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by kabunaru, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kabunaru Guest

I think it would be a good idea to have a male or female indicator for each poster on here. It would be below somewhere below their name and it would help.
    Thanks. :)

2. calculus Guest

calculus

3. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Because males can be mistaken for females and females can be mistaken for males without demi-god and demi-goddess user title.

Simple enough?

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yeah, for what purpose? So the females can be easily spotted and taken less seriously?

5. calculus Guest

calculus

And this matters because?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It would be useless and meaningless, since there would be nothing to stop a member from selecting any gender they choose. Besides, many may not be willing to reveal that, or some might not be sure! ;)

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why does it matter whos male or female? this is the internet, we are all anonymous.

9. kabunaru thread starter Guest

And why are you being hard like this?
    And why does having female indicator means people will take you less serious?
    You guys are always against every request every time. It is sometimes when requests like these can make all the difference. You people would never change in a million years.

10. calculus Guest

calculus

I think there might be far more important warning indicators to put under the names of some posters...

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

were not anti change man, we just dont see why the administrators should go out of their way for something as trivial as this.

You know i still love you tho right? lol

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're not suggesting they have an indicator to show whether or not we've had our shots, are you? :eek:

13. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Thread Starter idea was requested and made into effect right? So, why can't others?

That is fine. We are still good friends.
    I just sometimes get overwhelmed and disappointed when people do not like my requests.

14. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Females feel vulnerable enough without being flagged.

But the question remains: how would that information change what you type in these forums? Because if it wouldn't change anything, then you don't need that information.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Im not sure what the thread starter idea is (im assuming its the "thread starter" over the name of the OP). If it is that label, that is a good idea that lets people more effectifly respond to the OP.

Being man or woman doesn't really change anything, a user, lets say mosx, is still mosx regardless of their gender.

16. calculus Guest

calculus

Before suggesting changes like this it might be useful for you to consider the following...

• What problem are you trying to solve?
    • Who else thinks it's a problem?
    • How will your proposal overcome this problem?
    • What might the unintended consequences of implementing your 'solution' be?

It's not hard to suggest changes, I could suggest hundreds but every single one of them would be completely useless. Opposing a particular change doesn't not mean that one is against change, just that particular one.

calculus, male

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

18. Lau Guest

And so why does that prove that we should have this indicator? All that shows is that you get confused in other threads as well. :p

For the record, this has been suggested a few times before, and it's deemed entirely pointless every single time it's suggested.

Exactly.

19. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Ok, I am sure you are all great people and maybe I take things too seriously.
    Forgive me for my lack of humour and arguing mood posts.:)
    Maybe you guys are right, it is not needed (this request).

20. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

This request makes no sense, and I'd say is borderline offensive. Adding features is fine, if they're any good, but I can't remember the last request posted here that actually would be useful....

--Eric

21. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Why? Just why would people be offended?

22. ChrisA macrumors G4

Also you will need to have a third indicator "decline to state" because some will want to decline.

The problem is how to do this. Have you noticed the phone book white pages. Many people try not to state gender by not using their first name. For example using "S. Smith" rather then "Sue Smith" the trouble is that almost every "S. Smith" is female. If you don't believe me I'll accept bets. $10 each name.

So the problem is that if you put that indicator there the decline to state is not really credible and many truly would not want to state.

A better plan is an "opt in". Where if I wanted to state gender I could make up a user name that lets people know. Like "iMacGirl", "PhotoMan" or whatever. Those wishing to remain anonymous can use names like "qwerty".

That said, I really don't care if you all know I'm a 9 year old girl living in China. And then some would mis-state their personal information so any indicator would be very reliable.

23. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I think we should include age, gender, sexual preference, marital/partner status, political affiliation, health records, and bank account balances. Did I leave anything out?

24. Aranince macrumors 65816

Its good for when your addressing someone. Revealing your gender is offensive? Oh man...the state of this world is just sad. Comparing gender to SSN and health records is about as dumb as comparing Obama with Bush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.