Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I have thin wrists and I wear a mid size 38mm Tag Heuer watch...

Keep in mind that your Tag is 38mm across the face, but likely larger from lug to lug. The 38mm Apple Phone is closer to 33mm from left to right, so it'll be skinnier than your watch.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I am a male and I will get the 38mm.

Other 38mm watches:

2834991gross.jpg

14459-14.jpg

patek_image.3300898.jpg

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
But its thickness makes it geeky.

I have a couple of watched that are similar or even thicker :) But I understand that many people are used to thinner watches. With the battery and big screen it will always be thick.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
I know this probably makes no sense, but I find the pictures of the 38mm watch more attractive than those of the bigger one. If I get this device, I will definitely go for the 38mm model as well.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Male wearing 38mm?

I know this probably makes no sense, but I find the pictures of the 38mm watch more attractive than those of the bigger one. If I get this device, I will definitely go for the 38mm model as well.

You are not alone.
The 42mm is actually smaller than most other smart watches but they still look too big on most wrists in pictures.

There's a reason why Rolex sells mostly 40mm sport watches and even bigger watches like Panerais sell mostly 44mm diameter watches with very thick bezels (smaller than the stupid ridiculous looking moto360).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I dont think there is a specific gender theory behind the sizes more a case of catering for different size wrists. I've had big watches before and never got on with them.

I was initially thinking the 38mm was for me but when i measured my daily wear watch its about the same size as the bigger Apple Watch so i'm not sure now....plenty of time to decide however!

What about the color selection? I'm a bit surprised they didn't offer more band options with rose gold. It is either a white sport band or a rose gray leather band. They are offering the sport band rose gold in both 38 and 42mm versions but the rose gray leather version in 38mm only. I'm guessing it will appeal mostly to women, though I think it could work well with olive skin tones. That said, it would be nice to have a black modern band with rose gold trim but it doesn't appear to be an option.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
What about the color selection? I'm a bit surprised they didn't offer more band options with rose gold. It is either a white sport band or a rose gray leather band. They are offering the sport band rose gold in both 38 and 42mm versions but the rose gray leather version in 38mm only. I'm guessing it will appeal mostly to women, though I think it could work well with olive skin tones. That said, it would be nice to have a black modern band with rose gold trim but it doesn't appear to be an option.

You can buy any band to go on any watch. If you can afford the Edition you will likely be buying several (probably 5 or 6) mix and match bands too.

Also expect an explosion of 3ed party bands to drop ASAP.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You can buy any band to go on any watch. If you can afford the Edition you will likely be buying several (probably 5 or 6) mix and match bands too.

Also expect an explosion of 3ed party bands to drop ASAP.

But the other bands won't match. The trim on the other Modern buckles is stainless steel or yellow gold.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
But the other bands won't match. The trim on the other Modern buckles is stainless steel or yellow gold.

They will still fit. Matching is up to you. With Rose you could have a white or black (hell green, pink or blue if you want) sports, leather loop or classic buckle for instance.

EDIT: How do you know the modern buckle (and others) won't be offered in all colors in both rose and yellow?????

Or wait on 3ed party.

Last edited:

jsharpe

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
This excellent review posted in another thread illustrates both the 38mm and 42mm on the same (male wrist).

Personally I'm planning on waiting until I can try both in the store, but if pressed to order sight unseen I'd probably go with the 38. My main concern is that since both sizes are essentially the same thickness will the 38 appear relatively more "chunky".

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
They will still fit. Matching is up to you. With Rose you could have a white or black (hell green, pink or blue if you want) sports, leather loop or classic buckle for instance.

EDIT: How do you know the modern buckle (and others) won't be offered in all colors in both rose and yellow?????

Or wait on 3ed party.

The website has a gallery showing all 34 designs that will be sold at the outset. Also, the site is clear that there are 6 designs within the Apple Watch Edition. http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch-edition/

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The website has a gallery showing all 34 designs that will be sold at the outset. Also, the site is clear that there are 6 designs within the Apple Watch Edition. http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch-edition/

That comes with the watch. All bands will be sold separately as an option for any aWatch. The aWatch has a standard fitting that makes it a snap to change bands in seconds. 3ed Party bands will be almost as common as iPhone cases and easer to change to boot.

If you can afford the several thousand dollar Edition then you can afford a few extra bands. I plan on buying at least one extra to go with a Sport.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I am considering the Sport Watch for fitness purposes, would the 38mm suit a male or is it more for females? I don't really want a bulky watch

Not all males have the same arm/wrist size. So get the size that suits you.

From the images of the Apple Watch, both are identical in shape and form. The smaller watch is not "girly-shaped" or "female-styling" or anything. It's the same form as the larger model, but just a tad bit smaller. But IMHO, it's best to try it out on your wrist before buying.

Smart-wearables…. kinda like buying clothes, you want to try it out first. It will be difficult to buy them online without first wearing it.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
That comes with the watch. All bands will be sold separately as an option for any aWatch. The aWatch has a standard fitting that makes it a snap to change bands in seconds. 3ed Party bands will be almost as common as iPhone cases and easer to change to boot.

If you can afford the several thousand dollar Edition then you can afford a few extra bands. I plan on buying at least one extra to go with a Sport.

It'll be interesting to see how the various straps with silver lugs work with the Sport Watch. It may not look very good to have chrome lugs on a space gray frame.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It'll be interesting to see how the various straps with silver lugs work with the Sport Watch. It may not look very good to have chrome lugs on a space gray frame.

Maybe they'll have more options including matching lugs/clasps. I like the brown and midnight blue straps but they're only available in 38 mm for the standard models. Hoping they'll make them available in 42 mm.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

But the colors may not match. There doesn't appear to be a modern buckle with rose gold trim apart from the rose gray leather.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Maybe they'll have more options including matching lugs/clasps. I like the brown and midnight blue straps but they're only available in 38 mm for the standard models. Hoping they'll make them available in 42 mm.

I bet you good money that there will be dozens of Chinese companies that will provide 3rd-party clasps/straps/lugs/bands and other accessories for the Apple Watch, in every imaginable shape, size, color, and pricing range.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I bet you good money that there will be dozens of Chinese companies that will provide 3rd-party clasps/straps/lugs/bands and other accessories for the Apple Watch, in every imaginable shape, size, color, and pricing range.

Also, I bet good money that dozens of high end fashion accessory makes will produce Watch and Edition Bands too. Especially since we are likely looking at >$1000 Watch and >$5000 Edition watches.

Of course I'm buying the Sport and will probably buy several 3ed party Chinese bands too.

sparky1499

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Keep in mind that your Tag is 38mm across the face, but likely larger from lug to lug. The 38mm Apple Phone is closer to 33mm from left to right, so it'll be skinnier than your watch.

Sorry, my midsize Tag is 25mm across the face.

38mm from the left side of the case to the edge of the crown on the right and 40mm from lug to lug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.